• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
TooFarTampa said:
OMG that is too funny. You have to photoshop "dunes" in there somehow. There's your new avatar.

See, we wouldn't have minded walking a block or two. It's just that the only signal that we may be doing something not quite right was that we were walking down what I presumed was a private drive (for those houses behind Red Bar) before hitting the footpath. But then again, the beach seemed to be RIGHT THERE and was easily accessible. Wide open, with a well-traveled path. Had no idea it was a problem for the dunes. If it's not OK, there needs to be a good way to redirect people. Unless you want to hang out there all day and redirect them yourself, SJ ... :D

Not my gig. I would rather enjoy watching the kids play in the water and on the beach and hear the sound of water.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
P8130049.JPG

New Sign to eliminate confusion behind the Red Bar.:clap_1::clap_1::clap_1:
If now they would let me block it off with rusted razor wire.

P8130054.JPG

Recognize this dune crusher? Obviously he is one of those play-stupid A-holes. He was staying at Margaritaville today Aug 13 2005.

P8130053.JPG

While taking his photo, I asked him why he was walking on the dunes. Can't he read the signs?

He says, oh, where is the access? as he is reading the sign with the arrow pointing to the left for access. I pointed out the two accesses to him, and he says, Sorry, I didn't know. If he did not know where the accesses were, deduction tells me that he obviously went down this path to get to the Beach, so he had to walk past this sign, he just doesn't care. He will be back too. He is staying at Margaritaville, behind Red Bar. I sure wish Margaritaville owners would post some good info encouraging peeps to use the real accesses. Maybe they do, I don't know. Darn White Shirt. He's got the collar on the Polo shirt flipped up like one of those grandkids of John Gotti. Real cool -- Jerk!

:bang:

OhioBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
MidWest OH
Smiling JOe said:
New Sign to eliminate confusion behind the Red Bar.:clap_1::clap_1::clap_1:
If now they would let me block it off with rusted razor wire.

P8130054.JPG

Recognize this dune crusher? Obviously he is one of those play-stupid A-holes. He was staying at Margaritaville today Aug 13 2005.
<--snip-->
Darn White Shirt. He's got the collar on the Polo shirt flipped up like one of those grandkids of John Gotti. Real cool -- Jerk!
:bang:

Good the new sign's there, but truth is, there's always gonna be dumb masses like this that can't be bothered - sorry doesn't apply to me - way too cool/busy/important - even if the street, walls, everywhere where plastered with signs. :dunno:
(man, i just gotta get me one of those cool white shirts!! :D )

GVM

Beach Lover
Dec 25, 2004
There's more than a little bit of irony here. Look in the background of the 'jerk' photo...all the cars and trucks parked on the beach. With permits, no less.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
GVM said:
There's more than a little bit of irony here. Look in the background of the 'jerk' photo...all the cars and trucks parked on the beach. With permits, no less.

The vehicles use a designated access, which does not go through the dune system. By driving on the small area of the beach, I do not see them tearing down the dune system. (The area of beach in So Wal is very limited for permitted vehicle beach access. The problem with dune crashers extends the entire length of beach in So Wal.) However, I do think the western most access should be reconsidered. Grayton would be much more protected if dunes were aloud to build on that end. However, a walkover would be needed at that location. As more and more people get Beach Access permits, the County should maybe look into Grandfathering in current permit holders, but limiting new applicants. The vehicles are restricted by hours too, so they do not interfear with the turtle nesting, like the perma-tents.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
TooFarTampa said:
Wow, now that is clear! Who put that up?? Fess 'up now!!

I love this board! :love:

I think the owners of the house next to it placed it there. They have also blocked off their driveway to help discourage traffic through their driveway. :clap_1::clap_1::clap_1:. I would like to add that it is a very Grayton sign. Grayt job!

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
OhioBeachBum said:
Good the new sign's there, but truth is, there's always gonna be dumb masses like this that can't be bothered - sorry doesn't apply to me - way too cool/busy/important - even if the street, walls, everywhere where plastered with signs. :dunno:
(man, i just gotta get me one of those cool white shirts!! :D )

Wait...how did you get so close to this guy!!

Wildernester

Beach Lover
Apr 29, 2005
Chatta/Grayton
Righteous indignation can get ugly.
We have tourists who come here for the first time who understandably do not appreciate the impact that they have on the beach ecosystem. Many of us probably create the same sort of havoc when we visit areas with which we are unfamiliar. A friendly, polite reminder will do more good than a bunch of ranting dune Nazis.

As I sat on the beach yesterday as the sun was setting, I could see much more damage having been done earlier that day by the locals in their four-wheel drive vehicles than all of the white shirted tourists have done this summer.

If we really are serious about preserving the beach ecosystem, let?s close the beach to all vehicles, restore the dunes where the vehicle entrances are located, and build boardwalks across the dunes to the beach. Sure, portions of the boardwalks may be destroyed by storms from time to time, but they can be rebuilt.

?We have met the enemy, and the enemy is us.?