• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
kurt said:
That is old info.

Oh Kurt...thank you!thank you!thankyou!....for the wonderful news :love: ...you just made my day! :clap_1:

As I said earlier, I respect the folks who feel differently and have moved to/choose to stay in an area that allows for beach vehicles. I'd just hate to see it expanded to include additional beaches. We bought our modest piece of paradise in Seagrove because we love the peacefulness of the area, especially the beaches. We love seeing families, couples, etc. enjoying the warm white sand and playing in the surf and fathers helping their children build sandcastles, all without having to worry about cars driving right beside them.

Oh....did I remember to say thanks for the news?! :clap_1: :clap_1:

GraytonBound

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
The Nooga
thumper said:
on what would otherwise be dunes. (There are other reasons she didnt bring up, like oil spills, danger of hitting someone, other people having to breathe the fumes,etc)

-----------
Thumper

otherwise be dunes...would they be?

oil spills.....personally havent seen one or left one

danger of hitting someone.....cant speak for the generel public but we personally are extremely careful

breath the fumes.......i find that one hard to swallow as the truck is only running for a minute, twice a day.

You didnt like the fact that I defended it because it was legal.....but i'm still not convinced it's wrong ?

Wildernester

Beach Lover
Apr 29, 2005
Chatta/Grayton
kurt said:
:blush: Sorry Mary - it was Wildernester making a generalization that seemed to be aimed at all of us locals who were posting about the destruction of the dunes....

And I doubt that there are many posters on this board who:
"create the same sort of havoc when we visit areas with which we are unfamiliar".

I don't see anyone driving on the dunes or leaving vehicles on the beach overnight. What damage did you see done to the dunes by vehicles?

JB- the area at Grayton where driving is allowed is about 100 yards east and west of the access. When the lake outlet is open then that side is out. Many years ago the entire beach was driven on. That was before much regulation or law, when there were very few residents. Before 30-A connected Grayton and Seagrove, folks with 4WDs used the beach as a shortcut.

You did not include my later post where I apologized for my own righteous indignation. My reference to "dune Nazis" was in the same vein as Seinfeld refers to the "Soup Nazi."

Regardless, something Mary N. or I posted has prompted a reasoned discussion of the virtues and vices of having vehicles on beaches. For that I glad.

It just seems that if we are to discuss walking on the dunes, we must discuss driving through the dunes and on the beach. While my house is a half mile from Grayton Beach, as many do, I consider it my beach. When I see people who I know live on or near other beaches, on which they do not drive, come to "my beach" and drive their vehicles from which they dump their trash, I tend to become - well - righteously indignant.

GraytonBound

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
The Nooga
Wildernester said:
Y
It just seems that if we are to discuss walking on the dunes, we must discuss driving through the dunes and on the beach. While my house is a half mile from Grayton Beach, as many do, I consider it my beach. When I see people who I know live on or near other beaches, on which they do not drive, come to "my beach" and drive their vehicles from which they dump their trash, I tend to become - well - righteously indignant.

Have never dumped my trash but have certainly picked up some (that was not mine) and driven it to a garbage can. Seems to me that would happen regardless of trucks being there...as a matter of fact would argue that more people would leave their trash without a vehicle to carry it off in.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I understand. Like I said, it will be closed at some point and I won't mind. By the way - The Red Bar will be closed someday also, and Grayton Beach will become a sleepy little town again with no traffic and no beach driving. Hopefully there will be towering dunes to appreciate.

Right now the beach gets trashed every day by a lot of people - no matter whether they walk or drive on.

Gotta go - I'm driving down there to clean up, if the rain holds off. Maybe if I see you out there with a trash bag in your hand we can discuss further. :lol:

Last edited:

thumper

Beach Comber
Jun 15, 2005
I have no problem with anyones opinions, in fact I'm glad your speaking up for yours! We need to hear everyone's viewpoints so we can all increase our awareness. Please know that Kurt (who is there quite a bit) is the one who first mentioned the concern for people getting hit. I have seen oil, as I'm sure others have. And you're right, ultimately its not a lot of fumes, but tell me you haven't had to hold your breath sometimes after a car rolls past you on the beach? youre right, though that's not an environmental issue, just a nuisance.

My intention is not to be a trouble maker. This is a topic whose time has come, and I jumped on the opportunity when I saw those other posts. If I am coming off as anything other than community-minded, I apologize. Looking forward to hearing more opinions.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
kurt said:
Hopefully there will be towering dunes to appreciate.

....and that takes us right back to that other thread! :lolabove:

Won't it be wonderful to one day see those beautiful tall dunes covered with sea oats again?! :love: