• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Walton County Sheriff's Dept. is wrong here. You are entitled to "quiet enjoyment of your home". Problem is, an attorney is going to be needed to prod the county or sue the homeowner. This will take time and money.

Here is alink to the thing in Sky Mall. it doesn't tell you what it does, but can anything from this goofy catalog be suspect?:lol:
http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=69743798&c=

You can always sue in small claims court. Actually, I am not sure if you can sue over a quality of life issue:dunno: ; but it would certainly be a warning shot across their bow if you sued them for $1000 for loss of your tranquility. Of course, I would try to work with the neighbor first and document the attempts and sue only if the dog owner was a jerk.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Walton County Sheriff's Dept. is wrong here. You are entitled to "quiet enjoyment of your home". Problem is, an attorney is going to be needed to prod the county or sue the homeowner. This will take time and money.

i've got to agree with bob here. the dogs are a nuisance, and proactively, you need to document it by calling the sheriff's dept nightly when it happens, so it's on record.

i would definitely try to reason with the neighbor first, ast thing you want is an ongoing fued(sp) with someone who's got a 30 year mortgage, who you'll see every day for as long as you or he live there.

TripleB

Beach Fanatic
Jul 15, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I have the solution. Get several slices of bread. Spread a huge amount of peanut butter on each. Throw over fence right before bedtime. The dogs will spend the rest of the night licking the roofs of their mouths thus being left barkless. No charge for this advise .

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
I have the solution. Get several slices of bread. Spread a huge amount of peanut butter on each. Throw over fence right before bedtime. The dogs will spend the rest of the night licking the roofs of their mouths thus being left barkless. No charge for this advise .

:funn:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Sounds like a good idea on the surface, but you will be teaching the dogs to bark when they want peanut butter sandwiches. you would be rewarding their bad behavior, so instead of listening to barking all night, you would be making peanut butter sandwiches all night. ;-) :bang:

FLSunChaser

Beach Lover
Apr 26, 2006
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. The neighbor is NOT a nice person, so talking to him is out of the question. We've tried to politely talk to him, but he cops an attitude and tells us to stay out of his business.

TripleB

Beach Fanatic
Jul 15, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Sounds like a good idea on the surface, but you will be teaching the dogs to bark when they want peanut butter sandwiches. you would be rewarding their bad behavior, so instead of listening to barking all night, you would be making peanut butter sandwiches all night. ;-) :bang:
Never thought of that SJ...guess I will have to go back to plan A (the Vietnamese family). Hope there are more than 2 dogs. Wen Fu said relatives are coming for Thanksgiving.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
I was thinking the exact same thing. You will have to call the sheriff's dept. or police every night when it starts up. You'll have to be thick skinned here too, because they'll get really sick of you. I feel for you and would hate to be in your position. Everywhere I've ever lived, there has always been some sort of noise ordinance after 11pm. Even if our dogs start going nuts in the middle of the day, we run out like maniacs and drag them back inside.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
This is a ruff one. :dunno:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Let me offer you some advice, from the vault of 30-gAy?s personal opinions:

There are few problems that a good interior design solution can?t solve.

First, I would look into a bedroom makeover, specifically one which incorporates heavy drapes along the entire exterior wall of your bedroom so as to absorb sound. This can be a fabulous look.
155lucialane-009.jpg

Second, I would build a trellis somewhere along the property line between you and your neighbor. Plant it with vines, and it too will help reduce noise and will provide a visual screen.

Third, buy a vintage 1930?s era cocktail shaker. Use it to make yourself a martini every evening before bed, and you?ll sleep through anything.

Incidentally, my belief in Interior Design as the solution to all the world?s problems extends to international relations as well. I?ve been writing Condoleezza Rice repeatedly telling her to send the North Koreans some Ralph Lauren paint. I mean Jeez, if I lived in an all gray world, I would want to nuke somebody too.

this is going to cost! what asking the neighbor to try a bark collar? I hear these work.