• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
The 15% cap applies to long-term investments only, ie- investments held more than one year. Any investments sold before inside the first year, are taxed as ordinary income, which was the example I used.
Oops...my mistake. Should have read your post more closely.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
As they say...We Are All (well most) SCREWED! Maybe I do DESERVE that beach permit after all! JK!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Another note on assessed values of real estate in Walton Co -- It pays to live in a neighborhood without many sales. I understand the values are calculated based on sales in areas of close proxmity to the subject property, ie - typically within the neighborhood. If you own in a neighborhood like Seacrest, where ownership changed monthly for a while, you are going to get hit hard with high assessements. If you own in The Shallows, located in Pt Washington, where property does not often change ownership, you will be set with much lower assessments.

No matter what, after living in towns where the millage rates exceed 27, I will pay 12 mills.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Kim Smith said:
They told me at the office yesterday that the housing aspect has not increased but the land has increased tremendously over the past year in Walton County. My taxes have gone from $3900 in 04, to $6300 in 05 and this next year it has risen to 11,000. We cannot homestead our home because we do rent and it is truely our second home. What are our chances of an appeal and does anyone know the process to do one in the state of Florida?

From the Walton County Property Appraiser's Site:
If you have any questions about your property's value or how it was determined, you are encouraged to contact this office. An appraiser will be happy to discuss your appraisal with you and will be able to show you the information used to determine your property's value. Our office maintains current records on all real estate market activities. These records are available for your review.

After meeting with an appraiser and examining the relevant data, you have the right to file a petition with the Value Adjustment Board (VAB). Petition forms are available at the Property appraiser's office. The deadline for filing a petition is 25 days from the mailing of your notice of proposed property taxes. You must file on or before this date to have your appraisal considered. There will be a $15.00 fee payable at filing.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
We have two small cottages. We bought one in 2003 and the other in 2004. One didn't increase much at all this year, but it was already being taxed at twice the rate of the other. The other cottage's taxes doubled. So, now they are just about equal. This makes sense since they are both the same size and should be worth the same amount.

But, of course, if the bills we got were wrong, then I may have a bigger shock waiting when the new bill comes out.

Kim Smith

Beach Lover
Nov 16, 2004
Paula said:
We have two small cottages. We bought one in 2003 and the other in 2004. One didn't increase much at all this year, but it was already being taxed at twice the rate of the other. The other cottage's taxes doubled. So, now they are just about equal. This makes sense since they are both the same size and should be worth the same amount.

But, of course, if the bills we got were wrong, then I may have a bigger shock waiting when the new bill comes out.

The estimated bill that you just got in is not correct. You can call the number at the bottom and they can give you a correct estimate of next years. I hope you don't get as shocked as my husband and I are right now. Thanks SJ for that information. We may have to look into that. I just can't believe it can increase that much in one year. I can see over a couple of years but this is outrageous. We have had a couple of homes on another street in our neighborhood but nothing on our street to warrant this increase.

skier

Beach Lover
Mar 7, 2005
property taxes are supposed to be based on the value of the asset being assessed. With the huge uptick in prices over the last few years, no one should be shocked with the dramatic increase in their tax bill. I don't like it, but I certainly wasn't shocked. The good news is--the assessed values in my neighborhood are still about 60% of the recent sales prices. So, it could be worse.

When I read Kim Smith's post, I was skeptical. So I read what I received in the mail from Walton County and found that she's right.

First of all, what we received in the mail isn't a property tax bill. At the top right it states, "Notice of proposed property taxes. Do not pay. This is not a bill."

Then at the bottom it states, "Your final tax bill may contain non-ad valorem assessments which may not be reflected on this notice such as assessments for roads, drainage, garbage, fire, lighting, water, sewer, or other governmental services and facilities which may be levied by your county, city, or any special district."

I don't have the heart to call them and get the bad news. I want to enjoy for a little longer the fact that we finally got our tax returns mailed on Monday and will get a refund! Like Scarlett, "I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow."

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
At the property appraisers office, they will tell you to calculate your property taxes by taking today's sales price, multiple it by .85, then, divide by 1,000, then multiply by the millage, (I think about 11.7). That is to give you an approximation of what to expect in the way of prop taxes.
So, Skier is correct. Most people's assessed values are still under actual market prices in their area. I have no idea why the calculate only the assessed value based on 85% of the selling prices, but that is what I have been told time after time inside the Prop. Appraiser's Office in Walton County. Believe me, we are still getting a break based on actual market values.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
This is exactly how we ended up with Proposition 13 in California, where one's tax increase is limited to a certain percentage (low) annually. This is precipitated when the local coffers get dizzy with greed. In the long term, Prop 13 severely limits government's ability to provide vital services and every new or expanded service requires bonding (approved by voters). In the short term, it kept a lot of people in their homes when they could not have afforded them otherwise. Prop 13 reflected the outrage of CA residents when this very thing was happening in the huge growth years of the 1970s. We pay significantly higher taxes in Walton County on a property that is assessed at one-third what our CA home is, and we require virtually no services as non-residents. Add to this disparity in taxation the fact that we are also coming up with a considerable amount of bed tax based on the rental of our property every year. What is wrong with this picture? Where is this railroad taking us? Time to take notice.

:welcome: :dunno: :nono1: