• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Admst34-

I hope you have a really enjoyable visit. You've picked a fine time to come. The weather is usually (today excepted) really nice here in the fall.

Everyone is focusing on telling you how to get to 30A, so I wanted to be sure a different message gets told too...

30A and South Walton county are quite different from Destin, and all of us on SoWal.com who live or vacation here really like it a lot. Some of the differences:

-No high rises
-All "local" restaurants and bars, no chains
-Lodging primarily in beach houses, rather than hotels or high rises
-No traffic congestion to speak of, especially this time of year
-Beaches less crowded
-Much less "shop til you drop", more "down time at the beach"

You really should come over and explore for a day while you're here.

Have a look at www.beachesofsouthwalton.com. That's the web site for the South Walton Tourist Development Council. They have a nice travel guide available as PDF, but I'm sorry to say I can't find it on the web site just now. Maybe one of the other SoWallers can post a link.

C'mon frog, fess up, Watercolor has a killer wet t-shirt contest. Miss Kitty can tell you all about it.:lol:

shakennotstirred

Beach Fanatic
Jan 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Admst34

Also if you want some good gumbo - hit Kenny D's. It is about 1-1/2 west of Seascape. Miss Gracie is from New Orleans and makes the best gumbo. These are all off Old 98 - also called Scenic Gulf Drive.

I almost went there last week. Since I am not a gumbo fan, I have to ask - how is the rest of their food? Their menu looked good but it never looks like there are too many people there.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
I really like their food - we usually split a bowl of gumbo and then split a grouper po-boy as well. Kenny also does happy hour oysters which are great and cheap. The beer prices are a bit high - plus they don't have a license to sell alcohol - so that might keep the numbers down.

shakennotstirred

Beach Fanatic
Jan 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I really like their food - we usually split a bowl of gumbo and then split a grouper po-boy as well. Kenny also does happy hour oysters which are great and cheap. The beer prices are a bit high - plus they don't have a license to sell alcohol - so that might keep the numbers down.

Thanks for the input! It looks like a cute place. I will have to check it out next visit.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
We really like Kenny D's. Great sandwiches, and we know the fish is local. The service can be a little slow, but think of it relaxing with friends while watching the sunset.

admst34

Beach Comber
Oct 17, 2006
Thanks for all the replies! I'll be looking up some of the places mentioned here today and tomorrow...only 5 more days until we are there. We are staying in a beach house right on the beach, so no need for public beach access :D

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
30a is the gulf-side road, 98 is the main business thorofare are few miles away from the beach so it dosen't wash out

i assume bay county changed it around (but just in bay county) for the tourist industry so the tourists following 98 would pass along the gulf and spend more money before arriving at their hotel

i remember when 98 along the beach in pcb was called 30a and they changed it to 98 scenic (yes, i'm old)