• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

drsvelte

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sandestin & Red Stick
My great grandma had an antiques shop on Royal Street in New Orleans back in the 1940's and '50's. She was a widow and lived in hotel for women. What's unreal, is that she had her own table at Antoine's (http://www.antoines.com/) where she took her meals most every day. This I would of course die for (but maybe change out for Galatoire's every once in a while:D )

So, in SoWaL.com land, if you could lunch or dinner in the same place everyday or so, where might that be?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
drsvelte said:
My great grandma had an antiques shop on Royal Street in New Orleans back in the 1940's and '50's. She was a widow and lived in hotel for women. What's unreal, is that she had her own table at Antoine's (http://www.antoines.com/) where she took her meals most every day. This I would of course die for (but maybe change out for Galatoire's every once in a while:D )

So, in SoWaL.com land, if you could lunch or dinner in the same place everyday or so, where might that be?
Around here, the menus never change (I just read in the Walton Sun that St Joe has hired a chef from B'ham specifically to address this issue with all of its restaurants) so eating at one place meal after meal would quickly grow old. My father has eaten most meals at the same restaurant for the last 20 years, sitting at the same table everyday with the same old crowd. I like to feel comfortable, but that is beyond comfort.

If I were forced to choose, I would eat at Borago due to the facts that they have the best staff in town and that there menu is great, even if it has not changed in years. :D Rat's! I retract that statement. I forgot about heart attacks that goes along with rich foods. The "same place" which I choose is my own house. Great prices, great cook, good company, mostly healthy, no lines, no wait, no bad service, etc. - just a few reasons why. I really would not like to eat at any place day after day. One thing that makes some dining moments fun is the fact that they are special and we don't have them often. Moderation brings more reward. You too, will soon grow tired of the best foods when consumed every day. It soon becomes average food, even if the food itself doesn't change.

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
well, I don't know if I could eat at the same place every day in sowal - we just do not have the same level of New Orleans excellence in dining here (who does?). but I could split it between :arrow:

Royal Orchid Thai Restaurant (overall great food)
Smiling Fish Cafe (best salads, best grouper sandwich, best cheeseburger..)
Coco's Mexican Restaurant (good margaritas, cheese dip, salsa and chips, and typical family mexican fare - comfort food).

Not that any of these is the best food in town, but they are what I prefer to eat, and they are all very friendly family places frequented by locals.

I do love Borago's like Smiling Joe - but it's not exactly authentic Italiano as I would prefer - though delicioso! veal meatballs and tomato sauce on polenta.... yummmm. :D

southof30A

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2004
I would vote for Cafe Tango, unless I could somehow secure a table at Southof30ACafe every day.

1. My house when my daughter is cooking (grilled seafood, bruschetta, homemade salsa, just among a few of my faves).
2. Arugula salad and either grilled fish (pricy) or pizza (cheaper) at Cafe 30-A.
3. Blue Mountain salad with catch-of-the-day and house dressing at Shades, along with one of Patrick's gold margaritas.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
Breakfast: Don Pedro's:bow:

Lunch: Smiling Fish :cool:

Dinner: Cafe Tango:clap_1:

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
Joho's Back!

KY oyster eater

Beach Lover
Jul 31, 2005
Louisville
joho said:
Breakfast: Don Pedro's:bow:

Lunch: Smiling Fish :cool:

Dinner: Cafe Tango:clap_1:

I went to Hooters today. In Louisville, KY. They had some nice Oysters. A little more expensive than Dustys' in Panama City. But still really good.
The Old Florida Fish House proved to be pretty darn good when we were in Seagrove last week. Ate there twice. A pleasant experience both times. :clap_1:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Anywhere where I could get fresh raw oysters everyday!!!!