• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Babyblue

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
Shelly is "right on."

When my wife and I go to the coast, all we want is
a "base of operations:" i.e. a simple motel room. A
small "dorm-style" refrig. and a microwave would be
nice. We don't go to sit in someone's personal condo
looking at their personal belongings. Certainly don't
need (and don't want to pay for) 2 or 3 bathrooms
and way more square footage than is called for.
The goal is to spend as little time in the accomodations
(and as much time in the Gulf) as possible.

A condo can be a good deal for a family/group of
several people (especially if one would rather spend
one's time cooking meals than playing on the beach)
but it's a lousy deal for us.

Although with the glut
of small condos on the rental market, that situation
just might invert.

I don't have a problem with a well-maintained 1950's
motel any more than I have a problem with my well-maintained
1950's house.

I find the Waffle House menu to be somewhat poorly done
but have no problem with Waffle House itself. I see little
need to pay a premium in the pursuit of ostentation.

Personally, I see Waffle House as an "upscale" alternative
to McDonalds.

Capricious

I like Waffle house. But I also like the very best place to stay as well.

I like Waffle house. But I also like the very best place to stay as well.

There's nothing like eatin' a little scattered, covered, chopped and topped with eggs over medium! Plus a little waffle to eat with my syrup! Umm..Umm..Good!

Capricious

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Ya know, I rarely eat at Waffle House around
here but then I rarely eat breakfast out while
at home.

But a trip to Florida is not really complete without
a stop or two @ "The House."

Just something "Florida" about it.

Wish I could buy stock in that company

Capricious

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
One way to hold on to the old PCB would be to start wearing blue jean cutoffs...70's style.

That settles it. I am donating all of my board shorts and going cold turkey. All cutoffs from now on.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
ok, back in the 80's, before we had the boat, we used to stay at the best western del coronado in pcb - the thing was built like a a brick #$@%-house with 2 foot thick, solid filled, hand stuccoed, mason-built cement block walls, italian terrazzo tile floors, and thick sandwich-metal doors that were totally soundproof even in the middle of spring break with every car stereo thumping - it directly jutted out onto the beach - your room door opened literally into the beach sand - and the building itself was about 20-30 (or maybe more) years old but it didn't show it as they kept it up very well, plus we could stay a whole week for what one night cost at 'somebody else's house' that wasn't even on the beach - every room had a microwave and a fridge and signed audobon palm studies - best memories of staying on land ever - now its gone (and they had a hell of a time trying to demolish it too - last time down you could see even from the ocean side that it had been gutted but had withstood the wrecking ball or whatever they were using) - and (to be) replaced by a million story concrete block covered in crap sculpted drivit with tiny rooms, oh sorry, condo's, where the synthetic granite countertops probably will reflect the same old pastel puke-yellow-orange and pastel green and pastel blue and pastel purple thats all the imagination of a penny loafer'd decorator - they can so totally have all of their fancy bs - i miss my old del

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
ok, back in the 80's, before we had the boat, we used to stay at the best western del coronado in pcb - the thing was built like a a brick #$@%-house with 2 foot thick, solid filled, hand stuccoed, mason-built cement block walls, italian terrazzo tile floors, and thick sandwich-metal doors that were totally soundproof even in the middle of spring break with every car stereo thumping - it directly jutted out onto the beach - your room door opened literally into the beach sand - and the building itself was about 20-30 (or maybe more) years old but it didn't show it as they kept it up very well, plus we could stay a whole week for what one night cost at 'somebody else's house' that wasn't even on the beach - every room had a microwave and a fridge and signed audobon palm studies - best memories of staying on land ever - now its gone (and they had a hell of a time trying to demolish it too - last time down you could see even from the ocean side that it had been gutted but had withstood the wrecking ball or whatever they were using) - and (to be) replaced by a million story concrete block covered in crap sculpted drivit with tiny rooms, oh sorry, condo's, where the synthetic granite countertops probably will reflect the same old pastel puke-yellow-orange and pastel green and pastel blue and pastel purple thats all the imagination of a penny loafer'd decorator - they can so totally have all of their fancy bs - i miss my old del

The good old days...:sosad:

Liv'smom

Beach Lover
Oct 5, 2006
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com

AB, funny you should mention all that about the Del Cornado. My dad used to manage it in the late 80's and early 90's and we sat out at least 2 cat. 2 hurricanes in that hotel. Ahhhh, memories.:love:

Capricious

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
back in the 80's, before we had the boat, we used to stay at the best western del coronado in pcb - the thing was built like a a brick #$@%-house with 2 foot thick, solid filled, hand stuccoed, mason-built cement block walls, italian terrazzo tile floors, and thick sandwich-metal doors that were totally soundproof even in the middle of spring break with every car stereo thumping - it directly jutted out onto the beach - your room door opened literally into the beach sand - and the building itself was about 20-30 (or maybe more) years old but it didn't show it as they kept it up very well, plus we could stay a whole week for what one night cost at 'somebody else's house' that wasn't even on the beach - every room had a microwave and a fridge and signed audobon palm studies -

The current Holiday Inn "Sun Spree" is built the same (hose-it-out after
the party) way, yet I think it to be rather nice.

Especially since there is a Waffle House DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET,
and the Holiday Inn has an underpass under the road so you won't end
up as road kill walking across to get some "kill". If the "House" is too
upscale, there is a Burger King a couple doors down. Montego Bay
in the little plaza across the street, but that plaza has really gone
"down-hill" over the last decade.

Still, you can go for days without having to drive anywhere

But the H.I. has upped their rates since there is so little competition
(motels) left.

My wife loves that Holiday Inn, and she absolutely refuses to sleep
aboard my little home-built cabin skiff.

Capricious