• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
Food 5 (I didn't get any sausage in my red beans)
Atmostphere 8 (needs more seating)
Service 9 (don't forget to ask for your local discount)
Music 10 (Gotta love Duke and Gator)

Overall : It's a neighborhood place to go and feel good.........:clap_1:

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
Hey Kathyd,

Junk - Slice the whites of the green onions very thin. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon white vinegar and black pepper. Put in fridge for a little while. Spoon on top of your beans. Yummy. I'll send you my beans recipe as soon as I get a chance. It actually calls for pickle meat which I get when I'm in New Orleans. You can substitute ham for this.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Hey Kathyd,

Junk - Slice the whites of the green onions very thin. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon white vinegar and black pepper. Put in fridge for a little while. Spoon on top of your beans. Yummy. I'll send you my beans recipe as soon as I get a chance. It actually calls for pickle meat which I get when I'm in New Orleans. You can substitute ham for this.

Thanks Scooter, that sounds so yummy. I can't wait to try it!!!!

Walton Native

Beach Lover
Jun 21, 2006
SoWal
If you are looking for something that will stick to your ribs ask for the swamp special. It was still not on the menu the last time I was there. The swamp special I believe consists of 1/2 bowl of reb beans and rice, 1/2 bowl of Etufea(?) topped with two eggs cooked to order.

Poodleone

Beach Fanatic
Jun 27, 2006
Kerens, Texas
We had a great time there in September. The breakfast was terrific- yummy mimosas! We also ate lunch there (I think it was the same day!). I wasn't super impressed with the gumbo but everything else was good (espcially the BLT). We went to listen to music on a Thursday and a Friday- both nights were lots of fun with LOUD music but many locals were there, dancing and having a good time. I am embarassed to say I can't remember Gator's wife's name- she is charming and an excellent hostess. She remembered all four of our names, what we had ordered the night before, that the guys were going golfing, etc. Truly charming people.

Poodleone

Beach Fanatic
Jun 27, 2006
Kerens, Texas
Oh, Walton Native- I just read your description of the eggs and the etouffee- that's what my husband and friend had. They both loved it!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
The beauty of red beans is there is no need for a recipe. Secret #1 is to soak the beans at least 8 hours. You can use any meat to season them you like;I like spicy pork sausage (manufactured south of I-10, of course) that I char in a skillet-it really adds lots of flavor. Salt pork is pretty good too. Have never tried pickled meat, but I am open to any variation of the other white meat. Rinse the beans and cover them in a pot with fresh water until there is maybe 2 inches of water above the beans, then turn on the heat until they boil;once boiling, simmer slowly. I add a bay leaf, probably what amounts to 3 tablespoons of Tony Chachere's seasoning, some black pepper, about half of a chopped onion, some chopped garlic and the sausage. After a few hours the beans will be really soft. The last step is to take a big spoon and mash the marority of the beans so they are creamy. You may need to add a little more water occasionally as they will really suck up the liquid at this point. Serve over rice with some toasted french bread, and you are living well:D

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
If you are looking for something that will stick to your ribs ask for the swamp special. It was still not on the menu the last time I was there. The swamp special I believe consists of 1/2 bowl of reb beans and rice, 1/2 bowl of Etufea(?) topped with two eggs cooked to order.

I get the swamp special everytime I go for brunch. Yum! If it has been a while I start to crave it and need my swamp fix.