• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Wildernester

Beach Lover
Apr 29, 2005
Chatta/Grayton
Smiling JOe said:
I can only assume that you are referring to me as "The Oracle." Since I shared several thoughts on the topic, your statement of disagreement is vague. Would you care to address the specific issues of your disagreement with me, or is your's a general feeling of disagreement of which you care not to elaborate?

Please note, I am not looking to get into a sandbox fight with you on this topic. I am just wanting to understand your thoughts of disagreement. I expressed many of my thoughts in that post, so I don't know if you disagree with me on points of Grayton Beach being turned back into the hands of the State, who rightfully own it, or that handicappers and charter captains should be able to buy permits, that the wheelchair landings are not accessable, that education should be part of the permit process, that both walkers and drivers leave debris on the beach, that my friends who drive on the beach haul out more than they take in, that dunes will never seal off Grayton if there is an access, that if the State does not renew the lease there will be a fee to enter and the beach will close at sunset, etc.

Again, to say that you respectfully disagree is too vague, based on the many points which I addressed.

I see no justifiable need for vehicles to be on our little beach for whatever reason, except to save a life or property. To my knowledge, vehicles are not allowed on the beach (with the possible exception of Inlet Beach) anywhere else in Walton or neighboring counties. I have read many of your posts. I respect your views. When it is mutually convenient, I would like to buy you a beer at the Red Bar, so that we can discuss this and other topics at length.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Wildernester said:
I see no justifiable need for vehicles to be on our little beach for whatever reason, except to save a life or property. To my knowledge, vehicles are not allowed on the beach (with the possible exception of Inlet Beach) anywhere else in Walton or neighboring counties. I have read many of your posts. I respect your views. When it is mutually convenient, I would like to buy you a beer at the Red Bar, so that we can discuss this and other topics at length.

I appreciate your reply, and now somewhat understand your earlier statement of disagreement, even though it is only a partial disagreement. Thank you for clarifying. You simply do not want vehicles on the Beach, except in the case of emergencies and clean-up/ repairs. Is this an accurate statement? and some may want to address some other issues brought up earlier, including currently licensed fishing charters who launch from Grayton and the Handicapped, to name a couple.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Wildernester said:
I see no justifiable need for vehicles to be on our little beach for whatever reason, except to save a life or property. To my knowledge, vehicles are not allowed on the beach (with the possible exception of Inlet Beach) anywhere else in Walton or neighboring counties.

This is precisely why driving on the beach at Grayton is viewed as a "right" or a privilege by many locals. Twenty-five years ago, we could drive on the beach wherever we wanted to, with the exception of Grayton Beach State Park. The only obstacle was the outlets of the lakes, which were great fun to ride through (as a teenager not concerned with the environment) and not getting stuck going down the hill, or coming back up (which required a running start). Two of the favorite accessess, and the most difficult to negotiate, were at One Seagrove Place and at Blue Mountain Beach.

Those days are long gone. In fact, "driving" on the beach is a misnomer. You drive down, at Grayton only, and park. To get the permit, you must be a property owner. This was a compromise to allow locals and those with vacation homes here to be able to launch boats into the gulf.

SJ is stating all sides of the issue much better than I ever could. I'm just trying to give some perspective as to where we've been and where we are now. Folks who are against vehicles on the beach are aghast that vehicles are allowed on the beach in one small area, and those who have driven to or on the beach for years are aghast that there is only small place they can go.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Thanks SN for that great info. I had asked in an earlier post for someone to clarify who is eligible for a permit...property owners OR residents, as these terms are not one in the same. It never even occured to me to get a permit even though I do pay taxes as a property owner. IMHO, permits should be for emergency, handicapped, vendors, clean-up only. Of course, the problem with that is the parking issue for those that want to CARRY their stuff down to the beach! Maybe a four story parking garage is the ticket!!!!!

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Smiling JOe said:
I appreciate your reply, and now somewhat understand your earlier statement of disagreement, even though it is only a partial disagreement. Thank you for clarifying. You simply do not want vehicles on the Beach, except in the case of emergencies and clean-up/ repairs. Is this an accurate statement? and some may want to address some other issues brought up earlier, including currently licensed fishing charters who launch from Grayton and the Handicapped, to name a couple.
Here's an easy solution. Limit beach driving permits to only homesteaded residents of Walton County. Any vehicle showing clear evidence of rust-through on any permitted vehicle body panel receives a free dog license. End of problem, back to the old days!

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Wildernester said:
Bob-- If you want your avatar to depict Grayton Beach, you need to add SUV tire tracks.
Michelins or Firestones?
Actually I think driving permits being limited to the relatively few that live here full time, and want bring the vehicle would go a long way to mitigate too many vehicles on the beach....unless you are in the camp of one vehicle is too many.

stormweary

Beach Comber
Jul 12, 2005
Glad to see this topic come up for discussion. We always cross over the lake and lug our stuff down into the park area to get away from GRAYTONABEACH - just can't take the SUV's lined up two or three deep with their music in loud competition, the grill's fired up and fishing pole lines trying to snag my neck as I walk by. Got to love the tire ruts that are deep enough to lose a small child and make walking most difficult. And we're not just talking locals here, but anyone in Walton County can get a permit. This may have been fine way back when but I think we have certainly outgrown driving on the beach and I for one will be delighted what it comes to an end. :nono1:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
stormweary said:
Glad to see this topic come up for discussion. We always cross over the lake and lug our stuff down into the park area to get away from GRAYTONABEACH - just can't take the SUV's lined up two or three deep with their music in loud competition, the grill's fired up and fishing pole lines trying to snag my neck as I walk by. Got to love the tire ruts that are deep enough to lose a small child and make walking most difficult. And we're not just talking locals here, but anyone in Walton County can get a permit. This may have been fine way back when but I think we have certainly outgrown driving on the beach and I for one will be delighted what it comes to an end. :nono1:
What percentage of SoWal's beaches are people now driving on ????