• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
JB said:
If you are going to do that, then let's also have a blacklist of uncaring, unresponsive, crooked property owners/rental agencies. There are plenty of them out there - folks who provide inaccurate information on their properties (false advertising if you will) and do absoultely nothing when a renter has a problem.

It's only fair to show both sides of the coin.

I think that's a good idea, too. Like anything else, the great majority of both renters and owners, are honest and care about doing the right thing. But there is the handful that cause trouble, and they make life difficult for all the rest. I posted something on an earlier thread about the people who cancelled on us on check-in day because of rain forecasts (not storms...just rain). Due to a loophole their lawyer found in our rental agreement, we wound up giving them a full refund. I now have someone demanding a refund (after their scheduled check out, of course) because there had been construction going on nearby.

Likewise, I've had renters who have had bad experiences in the past and have become distrustful to the point where the relationship almost starts off antagonistic. They assume they'll have to fight for their security deposit, fight to get maintenance problems resolved, etc.

Clark Howard (the talk-radio consumer affairs guy) has often pointed out that the vacation rentals industry is one of the last areas of travel that is not regulated--either by government or itself. I'd suggest that if we don't regulate ourselves the state will eventually step in and do it for us.