• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
PC130079.JPG

As you can see in this photo, there is much difference in the sand color which was imported onto this beach, as compared to the natural color. It came from the property on the right in this photo. This property is adjacent to and west of a beach access in Blue Mtn Beach.

PC130081sm.jpg

In contrast, the homeowner of this property with the small loader, has elected to use white and properly colored beach sand to backfill his seawall. :clap_1: They were adding the fill today. Now whether or not they will add enough for the 2:1 slope will still be determined. Anyway, I am glad to see some people still trying to do what is right, within the terms of the law.

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
SJ:Great pics and info ! Thanks.

Some beach front owners are doing it right only to have their nice white sand contaminated by a neighbor?s cheap dark sand.

I thought the county was going to require seawalls be covered by 3 feet of sand.

:sosad:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SJ:Great pics and info ! Thanks.

Some beach front owners are doing it right only to have their nice white sand contaminated by a neighbor?s cheap dark sand.

I thought the county was going to require seawalls be covered by 3 feet of sand.

:sosad:
I am not sure about the actual seawall being capped with 3' of sand. You may be correct, I just don't recall. I thought that any seawall or geotube structures were going to be required to be covered, but I don't remember the amount of sand. (and I recall no mention of having to maintain that coverage as the wind will blow it off with time. -- The commissioners did not think thoroughly through the issue and I still object to many of the decisions coming from them and the County engineers and their bosses, regarding this issue of sand.) I do recall there being a requirement for the slightly off-colored sand to be capped off with 3' of the WHITE sand, and it must have a natural slope of 2:1 all the way to the beach.

pgurney

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
ATL & Seacrest
Does anyone know what the requirement for maintaining the seaward sand at the 2:1 slope? I've seen walls where it started that way, but since has dropped exposing the wall quite a bit.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Does anyone know what the requirement for maintaining the seaward sand at the 2:1 slope? I've seen walls where it started that way, but since has dropped exposing the wall quite a bit.

I just reread the minutes from the Aug 01 2005 Special BCC Meeting, and they conveniently left that part out of the minutes. In fact, they left out the slope issue completely. :dunno: Par for the course. They even drew a diagram showing how the slope should be.

Below is the meat of the meeting as described in the minutes: Full text at http://minutes.co.walton.fl.us/, but it is boring. Search under year 2005, Special Mtg, Aug 1, 2005

"Motion by Commissioner Jones to remove any material that does not meet the 6.2 standard as set forth by staff. The motion also included raising the standard to 7.2, and requiring that any material used was to be in accordance with the typical section for shoreline stabilization as presented by Mrs. Blackshear, capped with a minimum of three feet of sand with a value of 8.1. This is to be effective as of August 2, 2005. Any material placed on the beach prior to this meeting, that met the standard of 6.2 when approved, would be considered an allowable use for emergency stability fill. Any material that was placed on the beach prior to this meeting and was not in compliance with the 6.2 standard must be removed at the contractor's or homeowner?s expense. Any material placed on the beach, subsequent to this meeting, that does not meet the 7.2 standard would not be an allowable use and would have to be removed at the contractor's or homeowner's expense. Commissioner Meadows seconded the motion.
Chairman Pridgen asked about the sand approved by staff at Blue Mountain Beach. Chairman Jones stated that if the sand was approved by staff and met the 6.2 standard it could remain and be used in accordance with the typical section. However, if materials did not meet the 6.2 standard, then Code Enforcement would need to work thru those issues. He also recommended that the Board set a standard and allow staff to enforce it and work out the best engineering practices.
Commissioner Cuchens restated that the materials were checked numerous times and that if the materials were going to be rejected they should have been rejected at an earlier time. Commissioner Jones stated again that if the materials delivered were approved by staff at the 6.2 standard they were to stay.
Attorney Hallman asked Commissioner Jones to clarify as to the initial placement of the darker material. Commissioner Jones stated that the material must end up as directed in the typical section presented by Mrs. Blackshear. Commissioner Cuchens asked if this also applied to staging areas, which he stated was what Blue Mountain Beach was intended to be. Commissioner Jones re-stated that the final result must look like the typical section.
Commissioner Meadows asked if a time frame would be used to determine how long residents had to complete the work. Commissioner Jones stated that he did not know what a reasonable time would be. Ms. Blackshear asked that the time frame be left for staff to determine."

As I said, I do not recall the Board fully addressing the issue of covering seawalls during the meeting and their minutes show no sign of it being discussed.

BMBWalker

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2006
PC130079.JPG

As you can see in this photo, there is much difference in the sand color which was imported onto this beach, as compared to the natural color. It came from the property on the right in this photo. This property is adjacent to and west of a beach access in Blue Mtn Beach.

PC130081sm.jpg

In contrast, the homeowner of this property with the small loader, has elected to use white and properly colored beach sand to backfill his seawall. :clap_1: They were adding the fill today. Now whether or not they will add enough for the 2:1 slope will still be determined. Anyway, I am glad to see some people still trying to do what is right, within the terms of the law.

SJ...not quite sure what you are talking about. On the first picture, which side has the off color sand?

Also, what did you think of the 6 foot wide public access walkway, accessable to Redfish Village owners, that you took the pictures from? Really a nice one, isn't it? I haven't seen a private walkway on BMB that is that nicely done.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SJ...not quite sure what you are talking about. On the first picture, which side has the off color sand?

Also, what did you think of the 6 foot wide public access walkway, accessable to Redfish Village owners, that you took the pictures from? Really a nice one, isn't it? I haven't seen a private walkway on BMB that is that nicely done.

I can see the confusion. The darker sand has blown around a bit and is now on both sides of the access. The majority of it is from the adjacent property to the west (right side in the photo), but my guess is that some of it was also brought in to reinforce the seawall on to the east (left in photo) of the access. I saw many of the seawall builders adding this light orange-colored sand to reinforce their seawalls. In the photo, the darker (orange) sand is in contrast to the sand closer to the water.

What do I think of the public access walkway from which I took the photos? It is nice. It is also closer to Redfish Village. This question should really move to the other thread regarding Redfish Village Private Access. I think it is a valid question, which I haven't seen address as an alternative in that thread. In my opinion, the developers have not really mentioned anything about these public accesses, because the private access is noted in their sales info, not public. In reality, I think we will see the owners and guests forgo any shuttle van, and walk to the closest location. Let's see, walk five three minutes to the beach or wait 15 minutes on the van with wet seats. No brainer. Please ask this question in that other and more appropriate thread, and lets see some responses in there.

Back to the sand issue...

BMBWalker

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2006
I can see the confusion. The darker sand has blown around a bit and is now on both sides of the access. The majority of it is from the adjacent property to the west (right side in the photo), but my guess is that some of it was also brought in to reinforce the seawall on to the east (left in photo) of the access. I saw many of the seawall builders adding this light orange-colored sand to reinforce their seawalls. In the photo, the darker (orange) sand is in contrast to the sand closer to the water.

What do I think of the public access walkway from which I took the photos? It is nice. It is also closer to Redfish Village. This question should really move to the other thread regarding Redfish Village Private Access. I think it is a valid question, which I haven't seen address as an alternative in that thread. In my opinion, the developers have not really mentioned anything about these public accesses, because the private access is noted in their sales info, not public. In reality, I think we will see the owners and guests forgo any shuttle van, and walk to the closest location. Let's see, walk five three minutes to the beach or wait 15 minutes on the van with wet seats. No brainer. Please ask this question in that other and more appropriate thread, and lets see some responses in there.

Back to the sand issue...

SJ..wasn't this issue addresed in post 23 and 31 of the Redfish Village Private thread?