• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
Looks like Naturewalk is a go for their beachclub. Say goodbye to the Seagrove we used to love. Looks as if our Commissioners are on their knees again to please any developer with the right amount of cash! Let's explore the benefits to the community.... First more low paying construction jobs for the Mexican labor force. Next, more minimum wage jobs opening for beach attendants. Add congestion and litter to the mix. And about 200 beach chairs and umbrellas. I for one can hardly wait.
Similar problems to occur at the Redfish Village area too. Whether they get their club or not. Although I believe the commissioners will fold on that too.
Wouldn't it benefit the community more for the County to buy Seagrove villas. Another Public beach access could be added with parking. Maybe a playground for kids? Anyone see any of these aroung here?
Oh wait I think they plan on closing a public access when NatureWalk is done. Thus creating even more access problems.
I suppose our Property Taxes could be lowered in Seagrove due to the changes set to take place. Which, I'm sure, most people here might agree with.
As the Chili Peppers said... Give it away,give it away,give it away, Now.

BPickelTDC

Beach Lover
Jun 30, 2006
Looks like Naturewalk is a go for their beachclub. Say goodbye to the Seagrove we used to love. Looks as if our Commissioners are on their knees again to please any developer with the right amount of cash! Let's explore the benefits to the community.... First more low paying construction jobs for the Mexican labor force. Next, more minimum wage jobs opening for beach attendants. Add congestion and litter to the mix. And about 200 beach chairs and umbrellas. I for one can hardly wait.
Similar problems to occur at the Redfish Village area too. Whether they get their club or not. Although I believe the commissioners will fold on that too.
Wouldn't it benefit the community more for the County to buy Seagrove villas. Another Public beach access could be added with parking. Maybe a playground for kids? Anyone see any of these aroung here?
Oh wait I think they plan on closing a public access when NatureWalk is done. Thus creating even more access problems.
I suppose our Property Taxes could be lowered in Seagrove due to the changes set to take place. Which, I'm sure, most people here might agree with.

BS:

I would be interested to know which public beach access you are referring too and who is planning to close any public access near Seagrove Villas. The TDC has rebuilt and is maintaing the access on the western side of the Seagrove Villas at Gradenia Street, and the one on the eastern side was actually blocked by residents of Montgomery Street and not NatureWalk. Per the request of the Planning Department and County Administrator, the TDC has removed the sand fencing blocking that access and will be removing the vegetation that blocks that area this week. If you could give me a contact that gave you this information, I would like to follow-up with them because from a County perspective the exact opposite is happening with regards to the two accesses adjacent to Seagrove Villas. Thanks in advance.

Brad Pickel
Director of Beach Management
Walton County TDC

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com

Which access are they closing???

Last edited:

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
I thought the access to the west was to be closed. As to who told me, I don't know since I've been bombed with emails about this issue. But if even none are closed, the traffic and litter will be overwhelming. The infrastructure doesn't exist to accomidate for all these "planned" subdivisions and I feel that the common homeowner has been violated by the increase in densities. This beach has been stressed by terrible setback codes. I see a new pool being built that appears to be less than 20 feet from the bluff. Stupid beyond belief. Who is to pay for the cleanup when that falls onto a public beach. The county coffers will open up along with millions in federal money to cleanup tubes,walls,pools,septic systems that proper planning might have eliminated.
I hope no accesses are closed. My subdivision has been waiting nearly 2 years for our access to be built back(Greenwood). Yet devleopers up and down this road can blantantly lie about putting up beachclubs when they neither had the permission or permits (Redfish). And then it's now a community problem for BMB. I'm not sure what Naturewalk preplanned for their sale brochures about beach accesses or clubs but why is this community made to suffer for a developement that's a mile from the beach. But so long as Developers rule this County we'll all be made to suffer. I see no benefits for the Community whatsoever from any of these Beachclubs. I also hope those that have condo at Redfish get out now due to breach of contract. As for Naturewalk I rode my bike through there and with that many homesites it's no doubt they'll do whatever they want with the Villas despite any cries from the community.

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
Brad, the nearest access to the east is Greenwood. Which has been unusable for nearly 2 years. I don't know which access you meant but I know of no other.

flyforfun

Beach Fanatic
Oct 20, 2006
Birmingham, Al

I paid over 30K in taxes this year, and the beaches have needed repair since hurricane Opal 11 years ago. I have never seen our beaches look so bad in the 25 years I have been vacationing down there. I absolutely understand why property owners took it upon them selves by building seawalls and not waiting on the county or state. Until the county and state makes beach renurishment a priority and formulates a more rapid response when erosion occurs, all the beach front developments (new and old) will be at the bottom of the gulf next big storm.

Last edited:

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
Fine if your seawall is on private property. But when my taxes have to pay to cleanup a private wall or tube on a public beach then we've got a problem. As to the condition of the beaches I agree they're horrible. However in Seagrove much of these problems arose over the installation of walls and tubes with low grade quality sand. I respect private property rights but in regards to Seagrove many of these aren't on private property. But all this is another thread. I all hyped up on these Clubs right now.

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
Also erosion is a natural process.It can't be stopped. Not only do waves and surge but I will state it here RAIN also hurts the bluffs. Building 10,15 or 30 ft from a natural bluff is still to close. Don't people think that the bluff will continually erode despite whatever we throw up at it. And while I'm ranting why aren't most of these walls covered with sand? Or with cheap sand. Anyone seen any fiddler crabs around? There has been no big storms this season but yet so many walls are visible.And a 2 to 1 slope angle is supposed to be in place. Yet the County doesn't care. I'll go as far to say the slope angle is to high. When that water hits at the base of these walls/tubes. The lower sand will be washed out allowing the upper areas to slide much like snow onto the lower part thus exposing even more of these structures. But again that's for another thread.

BPickelTDC

Beach Lover
Jun 30, 2006
I thought the access to the west was to be closed. As to who told me, I don't know since I've been bombed with emails about this issue. But if even none are closed, the traffic and litter will be overwhelming. The infrastructure doesn't exist to accomidate for all these "planned" subdivisions and I feel that the common homeowner has been violated by the increase in densities. This beach has been stressed by terrible setback codes. I see a new pool being built that appears to be less than 20 feet from the bluff. Stupid beyond belief. Who is to pay for the cleanup when that falls onto a public beach. The county coffers will open up along with millions in federal money to cleanup tubes,walls,pools,septic systems that proper planning might have eliminated.
I hope no accesses are closed. My subdivision has been waiting nearly 2 years for our access to be built back(Greenwood). Yet devleopers up and down this road can blantantly lie about putting up beachclubs when they neither had the permission or permits (Redfish). And then it's now a community problem for BMB. I'm not sure what Naturewalk preplanned for their sale brochures about beach accesses or clubs but why is this community made to suffer for a developement that's a mile from the beach. But so long as Developers rule this County we'll all be made to suffer. I see no benefits for the Community whatsoever from any of these Beachclubs. I also hope those that have condo at Redfish get out now due to breach of contract. As for Naturewalk I rode my bike through there and with that many homesites it's no doubt they'll do whatever they want with the Villas despite any cries from the community.

I have to say that your response suprises me :dunno: as it reminds me of a quote that I have heard numerous times and at the sake of being a smartelic I will share it as it is showing an unfortunate trend in your posting.

"Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it." Please refer to [ame="http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?p=159331#post159331"]Seawalls Built on Public Beach - Page 2 - SoWal Beaches Forum[/ame]

I hope that your ongoing posting of inaccurate information does not limit the effectiveness of your posts to others, as this is the second time that I personally know that you are posting inaccurate information regarding the beach. The last time you posted something inaccurate about the TDC, I told you to feel free to contact me or at least check with somebody to see if you have accurate information before posting. I guess that is too much to ask. Then again, maybe you are a part-time writer for the National Enquirer.;-) :roll:

As for Greenwood access being closed for two years, it was rebuilt after Ivan which occurred in 2004 and was wiped out by Hurricane Dennis in 2005. Therfore it has been gone for less then 2 years. The good news is that it will be the test case for a removable/retractable access and will be in place by May 1. Hopefully we won't lose it again. Happy Holidays everyone.

Brad

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
2005 to 2007 = 2 years. As for spouting inaccurate info about the beach I don't believe I've been inaccurate. Maybe a little to sarcastic. The County and DEP have all been negligent in regards to the beach. They've allowed unpermitted/permitted structures to be built on Public lands -FACT. They've allowed inferior quality sand to be dumped onto the beach- FACT. TDC allows trash(umbrellas,chairs,kayaks etc.) to be left under/near beachwalkovers for an inordinate amount of time-FACT.
I may be wrong about the closing of the access in Seagrove... Sorry. But I just heard Naturewalk has asked to expand it(West of the Villas) to allow for a max of 2500 users during the high season. Am I wrong? I say who ever approves that must be High! Because the access proposed is private for condo owners...FACT.
There's a meeting scheduled I think at 1:30pm at the S. Walton Annex. concerning Naturewalk's proposed(is it approved or not?) Beachclub. All 30a needs to be concerned about such developers who want to buy up a beachfront lot so hundreds of private owners can have private access. Anyone else see Pandora's Box opening.
And Brad if the beach access just east of the Villas is what you meant by 2 accesses then I must ay the TDC has done nothing there in 10 years. FACT. I never seen stairs or walkway to the bluff. I do however have some lovely pics of the TUBE that was installed beneath it.... on Public Beach...FACT.
Or am I just spouting false misleading statements?