• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Re: Hurricane Katrina

Tenn.Guy said:
I hope this does not offend any locals, BUT I disagree with the quote above--

A South Louisiana hit would likely be disastrous. A large hurricane that comes relatively close to New Orleans could result in a flood of "biblical" proportions in NO due to its below sea level elevation. The loss of wetlands to the ocean is already staggering in S. Louisiana, they don't need to lose anymore.

While I definitely don't want another hurricane to hit the Florida peninsula, from an economic and human misery perspective, a hit from Destin or any point eastward for a couple of hundred miles would be much less disastrous than a direct hit on NO or another direct hit on Mobile or Pensacola. From the Destin area east/southeastward to Tampa, there is less industry and population effected than areas to the West.

I am praying the darn thing will meet up earlier than expected with the cold front and the storm will not live up to the potential it currently seems to have. I don't want a hurricane to hit anywhere. But, it seems to me that it would be much better to hit an area populated primarily with second/vacation homes than come close to or directly hit a large city.

One of the most stressful things about these storms is knowing that if it doesn't hit you, it will hit somewhere and someone else. It is inappropriate to make judgements about where it would be good or bad for the storm to hit. Not all the homes here are second/vacation homes and it IS offensive to locals that you believe it would be better for the storm to hit here than somewhere else.

I agree that it would be a very bad thing for the storm to hit New Orleans.
It would also be a very bad thing for it to hit here because right now, I'm thinking of my family, neighbors, and community and wondering how our life will be different on Tuesday.

I know many people who have felt very guilty about being relieved when Ivan and Dennis didn't make a direct hit on us. Why don't we all keep our opinions to ourselves and not talk about the advantages and disadvantages of landfall in a specific area. It is pointless.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

I think that several of you have summed it up nicely, the storm will go where it gets the fuel. Saying where it is best to hit is pointless without having control over the direction of the storm. If we focus on the things which we can control, we will have a more purposeful life.

Seasider

Beach Lover
Nov 27, 2004

It is going to be a long weekend watching the computer tracking models as the march of this thing turns northward towards our beaches.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach

I need to get busy getting ready, but one more thing. I'm boycotting the national media's hurricane coverage (including the Weather Channel--sorry Jim) Stick with the local guys--WMBB might have their streaming again, don't know. The national coverage always portrays these storms like its doomesday. Its like the boy who cried wolf. All they do is incite panic and stress. We've all got plenty of time to take care of business and get out if we choose.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

Camp Creek Kid said:
I need to get busy getting ready, but one more thing. I'm boycotting the national media's hurricane coverage (including the Weather Channel--sorry Jim) Stick with the local guys--WMBB might have their streaming again, don't know. The national coverage always portrays these storms like its doomesday. Its like the boy who cried wolf. All they do is incite panic and stress. We've all got plenty of time to take care of business and get out if we choose.

I'm glad you posted that. I think it was talked about a little the last time how they loop the stress.

Have you noticed the new WC intro has a few secs of people getting blown away? :roll:

Tenn.Guy

Beach Comber
Jul 25, 2005

JB said:
Perhaps you need to read more closely before replying. I did not say I wanted it to hit New Orleans. You are correct in that a direct hit by a Cat 3 or 4 on New Orleans would be a disaster of biblical proportions. I have many friends there.

I said SOUTH Louisiana. There is no good place for a hurricane to hit. No matter where it does hit, there will be damage. I understand the wetlands issue there - perhaps better than you do. But the area IS largely unpopulated. That is an undisputible fact.

Sorry, but it is someone's else's turn to get one of these storms. Maybe it will continue due west into Mexico. Maybe it will peter out. Who knows?

I thought New Orleans was in South Lousiana???

Also, it would be much better for the storm to hit on the east side of NO than the west side where they would get the biggest storm surge.

I do agree that we shouldn't wish these storms on anyone and that was really the point I was trying to make. Sorry about all you locals having to sweat another one out. But, there were numerous posts wishing that the storm would hit somewhere else. Why would you wish the storm on someone else. The area that can take the hit best from a broader economic standpoint is the eastern panhandle of Florida.

wintersbk

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2005
TEXAS

Tenn.Guy said:
The area that can take the hit best from a broader economic standpoint is the eastern panhandle of Florida.

I'm not so sure that is true based on the volume of storms the panhandle has had to endure over the last 2 years.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Tenn.Guy said:
I thought New Orleans was in South Lousiana???

By definition, the area known as "South Louisiana" constitutes the marshy area to the south of, and between, Houma and Lake Charles. South of that area, there is nothing but marsh for 50 miles to the gulf.

For the record, I don't want it to hit ANYWHERE in the continintal U.S. If it does, however, I would just as soon it be somewhere, ANYWHERE other than here.

I think you'll find that is the predominant opinion of this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.