• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Seasider

Beach Lover
Nov 27, 2004
If you are going to go, it is best to go early and beat the traffic. The north/south routes get heavily congested and fuel supplies can disappear. On the other hand, after leaving for Ivan and Dennis, many people will stay put to avoid the hassle of returning to their homes.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Camp Creek Kid said:
As soon as possible--when they get a better idea of where it is going. Looks like all the computer models are in agreement that Katrina is coming to visit us. Some good advice I got once--reserve a hotel room west of the track and one east of the track. When there is a better idea of where Katrina is going, cancel one room and head to the other.

we had decided to stay put for Dennis, but went ahead and packed as if we were evacuating. then when the storm turned north early Sunday, threw it all in the car and headed out of town - we just made it before they closed the 331 bridge. we were lucky that the traffic was light and we made good time to Bham. normally, I would not want to leave so late... but the northern turn freaked me out! :eek:

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
We were in the same situation--I was scared to death when I saw it coming straight for us at a Cat 4. We were ready to go when Dennis started heading west again and we decided to stay. We would have gone through Panama City or up HWY 79 if the 331 Bridge had been closed. It is a scary thought to be trapped here with a major hurrican making a bee-line for your front yard.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Camp Creek Kid said:
We were in the same situation--I was scared to death when I saw it coming straight for us at a Cat 4. We were ready to go when Dennis started heading west again and we decided to stay. We would have gone through Panama City or up HWY 79 if the 331 Bridge had been closed. It is a scary thought to be trapped here with a major hurrican making a bee-line for your front yard.

They also close the bridge at Lake Powell at some point.