• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
Did anyone hear the sonic boom, about an hour ago? It was the shuttle passing overhead, wish it would have been clearer skies. I was out on the dock checking the crab traps when I heard it, nearly fell in the bayou!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Did anyone hear the sonic boom, about an hour ago? It was the shuttle passing overhead, wish it would have been clearer skies. I was out on the dock checking the crab traps when I heard it, nearly fell in the bayou!

Yes I was watching it on NASA TV and knew it was passing over us but figured I wouldn't be able to see it because of the clouds. It was quite loud and from the tracking on the monitor it looked like it was already over Central Florida when I heard it.

We not only heard the sonic boom, we saw the Shuttle. I'd say we were out there watching it for maybe ten minutes.
The younger son warned us way ahead of time so we went up on our rickety balcony to see. All my tired old eyes saw was the contrail, but the kid said (in his own words) that between the patchy clouds he could see the Shuttle "glinting in the sun." (He's kind of a space geek. ;-))

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
only 18 more landings to go - thank heavens they're back safely

atlantis is next to fly in february

yep, i'm a space geek too

seen two launches - i always wanted to moon the world on national tv right in front of the big countdown clock, at less than 5 seconds cause they can't stop it or the tv coverage then, but never dared it

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
The windows in O-town rattled mightily! Watched on the Nasa channel because we were mostly cloudy.