• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I'm not scared to suggest it, so here goes. How bout BioDeisel shuttles ( old school buses)throughout the communities on and around 30A. 2 or 3 to cruise around all day picking up/dropping off people at various designated locations. Various businesses could sponsor with Ads. Lowering the costs. All the eateries can donate their oil as well as right it off as donations. More lower of costs. Truely may only be needed Memorial to Labor Day. Asthetically more pleasing than a parking garage.
Am I on to something or should I go hug a tree?[/quote]

I think it's kind of a cool idea, but a few on the board may tell you to pucker up and start making out with that tree....

:rotfl: ...including his wife!

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
In a nutshell County accesses are an amalgamation of different sizes and shapes and some of them are not even owned by the County. For example, we have some as small as 5 feet and some as large as 1,100 feet. Most of them along 30-A are the 5-feet version unfortunately, but I did want to outline where we are.

We classify beach accesses two ways, regional and neighborhood. Neighborhood typically have little or no parking and no restrooms. Regional will have parking and over time may have restrooms.

We have Miramar Beach, which is being rebuilt as a bridge like structure so it won't be lost to storms, with restrooms and 130+ spots.
Dune Allen Regional Beach Access which is a Bureau of Land Management Property that we have a lease. It is fully developed with restrooms and parking. Since it is a BLM property it went through a stringent environmental assesment and limited it's overall size.
Ed Walline which is fully developed with restrooms.
Gulfview Heights which is fully developed with restrooms.
As for small parking areas like the one you mentioned (Lake Causeway), we try and develop those where they will fit. Depending on the size of the land more or less are possible.

Brad:
Are there different ownership rights between regional and neighborhood beach accesses?
I own property in Gulfview Heights, but I have seen some listings for properties there stating that GV Heights owners have deeded beach access. My deed says nothing of the sort? Just things like I can not put a gin mill or build a dollie house etc. :lol:

Thanks.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
I'm not scared to suggest it, so here goes. How bout BioDeisel shuttles ( old school buses)throughout the communities on and around 30A. 2 or 3 to cruise around all day picking up/dropping off people at various designated locations. Various businesses could sponsor with Ads. Lowering the costs. All the eateries can donate their oil as well as right it off as donations. More lower of costs. Truely may only be needed Memorial to Labor Day. Asthetically more pleasing than a parking garage.
Am I on to something or should I go hug a tree?[/quote]

I think it's kind of a cool idea, but a few on the board may tell you to pucker up and start making out with that tree....
With bio-diesel, the beach may smell more like french fries. Cool!

BPickelTDC

Beach Lover
Jun 30, 2006
Brad:
Are there different ownership rights between regional and neighborhood beach accesses?
I own property in Gulfview Heights, but I have seen some listings for properties there stating that GV Heights owners have deeded beach access. My deed says nothing of the sort? Just things like I can not put a gin mill or build a dollie house etc. :lol:

Thanks.

No, the TDC currently maintains OVER 65 beach and bay accesses that are all County owned. The only difference between Regional and Neighborhood accesses are amenities. The Regional Beach Access at Gulfview Heights is County-owned, so it is in essence deeded to the public.

BMBWalker

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2006
No, the TDC currently maintains OVER 65 beach and bay accesses that are all County owned. The only difference between Regional and Neighborhood accesses are amenities. The Regional Beach Access at Gulfview Heights is County-owned, so it is in essence deeded to the public.

Brad...is there an average distance between these accesses or do you just put them wherever the law allows? I realize you may not have control over the position of every access, but I am interested in knowing if there is a formal placement concept for accesses or if it's just place them whever you can get the land.

Thanks.

BPickelTDC

Beach Lover
Jun 30, 2006
Brad...is there an average distance between these accesses or do you just put them wherever the law allows? I realize you may not have control over the position of every access, but I am interested in knowing if there is a formal placement concept for accesses or if it's just place them whever you can get the land.

Thanks.

We typically try to identify locations that are at least 1,200 feet apart (5-minute walk) for the creation of NEW accesses. This stems from a demand analysis from our 2000 Recreational Plan that identified the maximum distance someone would walk for access. Now aren't you glad/suprised we actually research these things ;-) :D

That being said many older ones are much closer then 1,200 feet, but we have areas that are in a deficit and are a priority. We call those "areas of unserved walkable demand." We have made strides in feeling in the gaps since 2000 in the Dune Allen area, but you are right that they are driven by accessible land. We are looking at developing a few more accesses in the coming years if we can keep those hurricanes at bay!! However, our priority today is to repair the ones that haven't been built since Dennis, and bring the older accesses that aren't up to code into compliance so we don't get sued. Yes, we do get sued...:sosad: