• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tropicwatch

Beach Lover
Jul 15, 2005
tropicwatch.info
wetwilly said:
I'm still concerned about the surge damage in SoWal even though the storm is appearing to head quite a bit west of Pensacola. The storm is so large and now 150mph (Cat 5) and moving at 12mph (up from 7-8). If it does hit NOLA, does anyone have a guess at to any damage to the dunes/beaches in SoWal?

How does the surf look now? I'm sure it is picking up. Red flags?

Law Enforcenment in Walton County are reporting 10ft waves and the sand that was replenished after Dennis has washed away.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
And finally, before I take my morning walk on the beach (next to a really big lake) I'd just like to say:

MMM - MM - MMMM - MMMM - MMMMMMMM! There's that lovely empty beach again with no backhoes or bulldozers or chairs or tents or cars...
I LIKE IT! Show's you what common-sense legislation and beach renourishment by dredging can do.

tropicwatch said:
Law Enforcenment in Walton County are reporting 10ft waves and the sand that was replenished after Dennis has washed away.
I hope this is not the case, but I have no reason to doubt the info... Keep in mind that a given storm can be either "net negative" or "net positive" in terms of sand deposits. An example of both in one shot, courtesy of kurt, is below (keep your fingers crossed for "net positive"):

050712-dennis-267.jpg

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
Yeah we need the "net positive" to come to SoWal after this one blows thru. If the info is true and the post Dennis sand deposits are already gone, then we only hope that thru the next few days the during/after storm surge deposits some same sand up on the beaches of SoWal.

BTW, even if this storm hits NOLA, it looks like the areas of east of it (Mobile, Gulfshores, Pensacola, Navarre, Ft Walton, and even Destin) will get the wicked eastend kick on this one.

I just hope the folks in the NOLA and Miss area are heeding this warnings. They have turned all lanes out of the gulf coast of Miss and LA North to to try and get the people out. NOLA is below sealevel and that makes for a big problem as this looks like a direct hit based on the tracks now.

whiteyfunn

SoWal Staff
Jul 1, 2005
Seagrove Beach
can anyone figure out why when even a cat 3 comes to SoWal there is a mandatory evacuation and then I just heard on the news that Katrina is a cat 5 and there is only a voluntary evacuation for the NOLA area

Someone enlighten me!!!

Last edited:

wintersbk

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2005
TEXAS
I just got word they are reporting 20' - 25' waves in the panhandle once this storm nears NOLA? Can this be? :dunno:

Those models they just showed did not look good. Please all, stay safe!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
News has been reporting all morning that they are just waiting for the Mayor of NO to announce the mandatory evacuation....what is he waiting for?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Kurt has been out in the field, and just called with a live report from Grayton Beach and Gulf Trace. At Grayton, water is up to the boardwalk. We are still about 36 hours from Katrina making landfall. In Gulf Trace, water is up to the Gulf-front houses, and is about to cover the geotubes and the piles of broken concrete. [Those houses will not be there tomorrow afternoon in my(SJ's) opinion.]:sosad: It is going to be rough.

tropicwatch

Beach Lover
Jul 15, 2005
tropicwatch.info
Sueshore said:
News has been reporting all morning that they are just waiting for the Mayor of NO to announce the mandatory evacuation....what is he waiting for?

He is waiting for his advisors to give him the results of an opinion poll. Who knows what he is waiting for!?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
tropicwatch said:
He is waiting for his advisors to give him the results of an opinion poll. Who knows what he is waiting for!?

His waiting might cause utter pandemonium...I am so worried about those people!

Status
Not open for further replies.