• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005

futurebeachbum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Snellsburg, GA
www.myfloridacottage.com
Re: Old Florida Fish House (Early Bird'd Last Night)

GTTBM and I like this place. They have excellent sushi and we especially like to split the Grouper Fish House (sauteed, not grilled.) They do an excellent job of plating up a single portion of it for two.

We decided to try the early bird last night. The selection of dishes and sides was limited (as you would expect) and the portions were smaller (again as you would expect.) The prices ran about $22/entree (buy one, get one free.) They had steak, a Fish of the Day almondine, a couple of fried plates and 1 or 2 other entrees.

That being said, we won't do the EB again. We feel that we get a far better meal splitting the GFH and each getting a salad. That costs a little bit more than the early bird, but the quantity of food is similar and the quality difference is significant.

On top of that, having a waiter who clearly didn't want to wait on early birds (who were buying several rounds of drinks plus dinner, so a decent sized tip) didn't contribute to our enjoyment.

We still like the food and recommend eating there, but we won't recommend the EB to anyone.

My .02

Last edited:

WhiskeyRiver

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2005
Bartlett, TN
Glad to see this info re OFFH. My family and I come to SGB several times a year and my mom is always wanting to go to OFFH and my husb and I have refused. We love 331, 30-A and Yanni's. I was shocked to see that someone had been "consistently disappointed" with 30-A! We think it is one of the best restaurants in the whole area. Have been eating there for several years and do not have one complaint! Have not found a better gin and tonic anywhere -- always consistent! Just shows how different we all are. Very disappointed in the change of menu at Bud & Alley's! I mean I know things can't stay the same but they could have at least left a few "old stand-by's" on the menu! We ate at 331 twice in October and it was excellent!

J.bean

Beach Comber
Mar 21, 2007
www.myspace.com
Here's my more recent experience, my husband & I chose to go by ourselves one night and picked OFFH. We LOVED our food. He had crabmeat au gratin and it was delicious with lots & lots of crab, not just cheese. I had fried Grouper and it was just the perfect portion, I think I just left a few bites behind. We had some fried shrimp appetizer from the specials and enjoyed those and our salads. I also tried some crab cake off the plate of a family member who happened to get seated at the table next to ours(even when we tried to get away from all of them...:D) So everybody's food was great, but our waitress definitely could have been better. Things weren't slow, she just neglected to bring a couple things we asked for and messed up my drink order. Then when she fixed it messed it up again. It was a very simple pineapple juice with Malibu(my beach drink) , but she kept insisting on giving me grapefruit juice & vodka i believe(gross,who would ever order this???) Luckily the second time she didn't get away and I didn't have to wait as long for her to correct it. She did sniff my drink & try to give it to me again, but it didn't smell, look or taste like pineapple and I don't care to drink out of a glass somebody's nose just touched. Besides this, it was a beautiful restaurant with great food. Hopefully it can get a better staff.

Does this review make me sound crabby? I hope not.

oli

Mr. Potato Head's worst nightmare
Nov 18, 2004
Have been numerous times to OFFH and it has been wonderful. Girlfriend of mine ate their last night and raved about everything except some form of hillbilly entertainment. Cafe 30A has been a consistent disappointment to us. Guess you never know.

are you European?