• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jackie

Beach Lover
Feb 2, 2006
chicago burb
I've made many loaves of this bread. My chowhound site has over 300 posts on the ins and outs of the bread. I've found (as have many others) that if you increase the amount of salt to l 3/4 tea. and decrease the amount of water to l l/2 cups, you get a much better tasting loaf.You can also add many other ingred. to the bread-kalamta olives and rosemary is a really good one. If you change the size of the pot to a 3 quart ,you get a higher loaf. The type of pot you use also changes the crust of the loaf. I've found by using a corning or terra cota pot, the crust is nice and crackly and doesn't burn on the bottom at all. I really think the secret is the baking methold as much as the recipe itself. We will be spending the next 2 months in so wal and I'm really looking forward to baking this bread there. Anxious to see if your warmer temps changes the time of the first rise. Here in the cold north in the winter, it's hard to find a place in my house that is warm enough for the long rise. I love making this bread, it makes me feel like I can really bake a great loaf of artisian bread!
Really, try this recipe--it's so easy and you'll be amazed at how good it is.

Last edited:

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
heat a teaspoon of fresh rosemary in a bit of olive oil in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it, add a well-drained, small jar of sliced mushrooms, mix and add to the bread as you make it - YUMMY! (from the Eclipse resturant at Pearl River Resort)

yes, i got my dried rosemary in sowal - i hope the bushes are still there

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
I have some bags of King Arthur flour (the best) so I think I might very well give this a try, especially since we forgo the kneading. I absolutely love a good hunk of bread, so I thank you for the recipe, Paula. :love:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Aquabiotic: I've thought about adding things to this bread and rosemary would be on the top of my list. I'm making my second batch today, and will soon start to experiment with it. I imagine chives would be good (not with the rosemary) as well. Also, it would be very tasty to dip this bread in a nice olive oil and rosemary dip (with a little salt, too).

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Aquabiotic: I've thought about adding things to this bread and rosemary would be on the top of my list. I'm making my second batch today, and will soon start to experiment with it. I imagine chives would be good (not with the rosemary) as well. Also, it would be very tasty to dip this bread in a nice olive oil and rosemary dip (with a little salt, too).

Paula, I know someone in SoWal who has rosemary growing all over her yard. Not that you need an excuse to get to the beach, though. :D

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Oh, I better get to the beach. We have some growing near our place as well... good idea. This would be a very good bread to make if you're staying at the beach for several days since it's so easy with no kneading. You have to have a big covered pot, though. I'm making my third loaf since last weekend tomorrow. The kids keep panting when they see it coming out of the oven and pretty much run me over to get a slice and butter it and eat it hot!

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
OMG!!!!!!!! PAULA!!!!!!!!!!! Made it, ate it...gonna make more!!
I must admit, I had my doubts right up until the time I put it in the oven....it was sticky and hard to handle, but came out absolutely fabulous!!:clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1: Even got the thumbs up from mr. dd who is not a bread fan!! He's had four slices!