• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Travel2Much

Beach Lover
Jun 13, 2005
Sueshore said:
T2M...my prayers are with you and your entire state...if I missed it earlier, where are you now?

I am in SoWal, having flipped the "east" head of the coin in the flip between Houston and here. At least I am in my own home rather than a hotel room like others.

I am seeing lots of LA & Miss. plates here.

newyorker

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Biblical proportions indeed....it reminds me of the stories of people fleeing the black plague (which struck equally quickly in the 13-15th centuries.) Same issues of the poor being stuck in the cities, by the way....

I have wonderful friends in and around NO--can't reach them now, but am praying hard. I'm heartsick about the damage already being reported in SOWAL--god almighty, how much more can the Gulf endure?

I travel often for my job...I can't imagine the terror of being stuck in the city in a high rise.

Like many others--my "virtual hat" is off to Kurt and others who have provided pix and words about what is going on. CNN and TWC are ok, but the people on the ground are really the best! God speed to all of you down there--and to the people of NO, all of us I am sure, regardless of our faith tradition, are praying hard.
Newyorker

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
nph-cachecam.cgi

Bourbocam is down, but this cam at the corner of St. Charles and Napoleon is still active.

By this time tomorrow, the area shown in the photo will likely be 15 feet under water.

Last edited:

Seasider

Beach Lover
Nov 27, 2004
Does anyone know of alternate coverage to TWC coming straight out of NOLA? The simulcasts on WMBB.com were invaluable during the landfall of Dennis. They had much more objective coverage and better radar graphics than was available from the national coverage. I can only hope that the devastation will not be as bad as the networks are predicting.

Sheila

SoWal Insider
Seasider said:
Does anyone know of alternate coverage to TWC coming straight out of NOLA? The simulcasts on WMBB.com were invaluable during the landfall of Dennis. They had much more objective coverage and better radar graphics than was available from the national coverage. I can only hope that the devastation will not be as bad as the networks are predicting.

Try FOX or MSNBC.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
My sister-in-law's family is from New Orleans so I'm plenty worried about Katrina hitting them. What I'm clinging to is that if NO survived Camille in 1969, it will survive this one, too.

melissa

Beach Lover
Jun 15, 2005
much too far from Grayton
I've been getting chills and teary eyed all day watching the news! Like everyone, my thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this storm.
Can you believe the huge line of people still outside the Superdome for shelter??

WaltonUndercurrent

Beach Lover
Mar 3, 2005
Having a home in the French Quarter just off Bourbon, New Orleans is like our second home (was going to move there eventually). There's no other place like it - the diversity, the history, the traditions like Mardi Gras and gumbo that we've all adopted. I'd like to encourage everybody that can help in some way when this is over to do so. The people of LA and especially NO love life, are generous, and we should respond the way we did for 911 and the tsunami. Volunteering, contributing, whatever. We're all New Orleanians now and as bad as the 911 tragedy was for New York, this will affect a population with far fewer resources. Let's use this as an opportunity to focus on helping people without the artillery. Maybe this will allow us to find the culture of compassion and caring that's been so smothered by war, suspicion, political and cultural division over the past several years.

We can't "smoke mother nature out of her hole" - so let's focus on helping the ones that have been attacked by her.

FLORAZONA

Beach Crab
Aug 28, 2005
The gentleman who started this post has misinformed you. No doubt Katrina is a catastrophic storm and many lives will be changed forever, but this is not an official statement by the NOAA. My first hurricane in Florida I worked for a hotel that did not evacuate all of its guest. I witnessed families huddling together in fear of their lives. It was an experience I will never forget. There is a time for being a clown but this would not be one of them. Don?t feed the trolls many are coming here for factual info. Thank you.

http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/watches_warnings/non_precip/ms/msz061.txt

Last edited: