• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
BMBV: Report please...?
From the Profit, Smiling JOe:
"I don't expect the Planning Dpt to reject this project. I have rarely seen them reject any project. They shove it up to the County Commissioners (BCC) and let them be the bearer of bad news if there is any to be delivered. The Planning Dpt doesn't like to be yelled at by irate developers or builders."

There's no question that the planning commission had already and completely made up their minds before ever setting foot in the meeting. They were not interested in what anyone had to say.

They even challenged the neighborhood's attorney when he stated that what they were doing was not permitted under Florida State law.

During the neighbors' lawyer's talk, one commissioner was eating, another went out of the room to get a drink. It's nice to see the planning commission give the process such due respect.

The developers "sweetened the pot" even more (recall they have aleady donated $50,000 to the county for 83 access improvements). RFV will deed over the beach part of the lot to the county.

That's nice, except the public has no way to legally get to that part of the beach (except walking south of the mean high water line) because the RFV lot will continue to be a "Private gateway...". This is just more smoke to induce the county to ignore zoning requirements; namely the compatibility issue with our residential neighborhood.

Time and time again I've heard people say that the developers run the county, not the citizens. I've pretty much ignored them until now.

Everyone I know loves our area for many reasons. One of the biggest reasons is the building density restriction (and building height). And there is basically one main draw to the area: the beach. The developers have now discovered how to get around the density restriction, develop remotely and still market their development as a "beach front experience" complete with trolleys and all. This will induce more pressure on the beach than otherwise would naturally happen through normal growth.

When I seriously considered retiring to the beach, I had no idea it would be in Disneyworld, trolleys and all.

It is now up to the 5 county commissioners.

BPickelTDC

Beach Lover
Jun 30, 2006
The chain effect is under way. Jason Bryan, County Planner in charge of this project, recommended approval of the project. Planning Commissioner, Tom Patton said that he adds the most weight to the recommendation of our fine Planning Staff. A few people spoke against the proposal, two of whom are attorneys representing clients in the area. I thought that one of our SoWallers was most elequent of all. The last gentleman who spoke against the project wasn't even there for this particular topic, but he spoke against what he thought was obviously wrong. Other people said it in general terms of non-compatibility, but he was more specific in saying the Redfish Village was most like a commercial property with potential rentors coming in every week. When they use this access, it then becomes a commercial extension of the higher density property, however, it is not commercially zoned. He went on to say that once Redfish Village uses this access for financial gain of the commercial property, this private access is considered by County Code to be Commercial property, which it is not zoned for. It is zoned as NPA-Infill -- (Neighborhood Planning Area) which doesn't allow for any commercial uses.

It was obvious that Jason Bryan's speech was well rehearsed, but he was nervous as heck trying to say that it was compatible with code. I wouldn't doubt that someone else helped him write that speech.

The Planning Comm. kindly listened to the public, but they were all suddenly & shockingly silent when the last gentleman spoke (because he caught them with their pants down). He just explained their own code to the Planning Comm. However, they had already made up their mind, and didn't hear anything that was enough to make them change their mind.

It's a small town.

Next step will be for this to go to the Board of County Commissioners (BCC) to seek their approval. They are the next link in the chain. Unless people come out in droves, you should expect the BCC to either table the item, or say that they rely heavily on the Planning Comm, and since they recommended approval, they will likely approve it without raising an eyebrow. Comm. Meadows or Comm. Jones will likely insist that the developer improve the sidewalks to the public access from Redfish Village.

Brad Pickel -- question: The developer of Redfish Village says that they are donating $50,000 to the TDC to go toward building a bathroom at the 83 access, but that the TDC does not have to use those funds to build the bathroom or even use the funds for the 83 public access. What is up with that? Can you speak on where and how these donated funds will be used? It seems to me that since the impact will be on that area, the funds should be used on improving that area. I would love to see restrooms at some of these major public beach access points.

SJ:

I couldn't agree with you more. The money is scheduled to be used to supplement existing funds that will pay for construction of the restroom facilities, parking, stormwater, etc. at the CR 83 (Blue Mountain Beach Regional Access). It will not be used for anything else as we all know that access needs to have a restroom and associated parking upgrades. It is scheduled for late 2007/early 2008 before the summer of 2008.

edroedrog

Beach Lover
Dec 15, 2006
I thought that one of our SoWallers was most elequent of all. The last gentleman who spoke against the project wasn't even there for this particular topic, but he spoke against what he thought was obviously wrong. Other people said it in general terms of non-compatibility, but he was more specific in saying the Redfish Village was most like a commercial property with potential rentors coming in every week. When they use this access, it then becomes a commercial extension of the higher density property, however, it is not commercially zoned. He went on to say that once Redfish Village uses this access for financial gain of the commercial property, this private access is considered by County Code to be Commercial property, which it is not zoned for. It is zoned as NPA-Infill -- (Neighborhood Planning Area) which doesn't allow for any commercial uses..

Thanks SJ for the update. If you recall I asked the parking question for this property in one of my earlier post. Seems like they would have to provide parking for this development at the PrivateBA based on the commercial usage of this property(I think they would have to provide parking regardless). If they do indeed play the commercial card than the PrivateBA will Private Parking(I know you have a picture of a beach with cars jammed up on it). Is the lot big enough for 60-70 cars conservative numbers but that is what it will most likely be.

Another thing if they are going to deed the beach to the county then how can they call it PrivateBA? I know that is not a question I should expect you to answer it is just a thought. Can the run a rental business on the beach if the property is deeded to the county?

Thanks SJ for you post. I was unable to attend because of work related issues. I was going to attend when it was originally scheduled for February but again somehow they got it moved up to January. I am beginning to wonder what promises RFV has made to the county that they will not be able to keep.

I guess we are going to have to load up the bus and write the letters to the county commissioners. Did the news media cover this story last night? Wondering what they can do to help out with "The Process".

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
From the Profit, Smiling JOe:
"I don't expect the Planning Dpt to reject this project. I have rarely seen them reject any project. They shove it up to the County Commissioners (BCC) and let them be the bearer of bad news if there is any to be delivered. The Planning Dpt doesn't like to be yelled at by irate developers or builders."

There's no question that the planning commission had already and completely made up their minds before ever setting foot in the meeting. They were not interested in what anyone had to say.

They even challenged the neighborhood's attorney when he stated that what they were doing was not permitted under Florida State law.

During the neighbors' lawyer's talk, one commissioner was eating, another went out of the room to get a drink. It's nice to see the planning commission give the process such due respect.

The developers "sweetened the pot" even more (recall they have aleady donated $50,000 to the county for 83 access improvements). RFV will deed over the beach part of the lot to the county.

That's nice, except the public has no way to legally get to that part of the beach (except walking south of the mean high water line) because the RFV lot will continue to be a "Private gateway...". This is just more smoke to induce the county to ignore zoning requirements; namely the compatibility issue with our residential neighborhood.

Time and time again I've heard people say that the developers run the county, not the citizens. I've pretty much ignored them until now.

Everyone I know loves our area for many reasons. One of the biggest reasons is the building density restriction (and building height). And there is basically one main draw to the area: the beach. The developers have now discovered how to get around the density restriction, develop remotely and still market their development as a "beach front experience" complete with trolleys and all. This will induce more pressure on the beach than otherwise would naturally happen through normal growth.

When I seriously considered retiring to the beach, I had no idea it would be in Disneyworld, trolleys and all.

It is now up to the 5 county commissioners.
As an oceanfront alpha-male, you, among all people, know it's all about money. Even the rule of law is tainted by money. You'll never know if envelopes went under the door late at night. Best thing to do is enjoy the beach as it is today, because it's only going to become more crowded.

edroedrog

Beach Lover
Dec 15, 2006
One answer to my question should clear this up in my mind. For whom are these white sands made for? The mass or the few?

Sounds to me like it belongs to RFV and new development. Or who ever is generating revenue for the county.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Another thing if they are going to deed the beach to the county then how can they call it PrivateBA? I know that is not a question I should expect you to answer it is just a thought. Can the run a rental business on the beach if the property is deeded to the county?...

Oh, I may have forgot to mention Redfish Village donating part of the lot. Actually, the attorney said that they would donate whatever the County wanted them to do so, in order to make them happy, as long as they could have a private walkover. Yeah, I bet. ;-)

To answer your question above, they can still call it a private beach access, if approved. It would be a PRIVATE beach access, rather than a PRIVATE BEACH access.

By the way, from what I can tell, it appears that the beach between 260 Blue Mtn Rd and the 83 Public Access is not owned by the homeowners, and that it is public, so one would not need navigate south of the mean high water mark to access the newly proposed dedicated public beach.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
In retaliation, I suggest all the male residents of the homes surrounding the new private entrance/toilets turn out in their Speedos to greet each busload of beachgoers.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Hi SJ,

It appears to me that Lupine Subdivision (actually just the 2 gulf front homes) does own to the MHW (mean high water line) so one would have to walk south of the MHW line to "legally" access the 260 lot from the 83 beach access.

What's your source of info that shows otherwise?

This is from their declaration filing:
LupineSitePlan.JPG

One other thing - a personal thanks for attending and posting on the meeting.

Last edited: