• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Here are some photos from today.

http://www.sowal.com/photos-082905.html

050829-katrina-016.jpg

Fanceenan

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Montgomery
Kurt, We are owners at BM Villas Condos, the building that has not been so badly undermined. Thank you so much for the pictures! It is difficult to see the damage, but it is much better than we expected. Thank you for the service you are providing!! We'll be there this weekend to help with the cleanup!

kurt said:

Kurt, any idea how well the geo dunes held up?? It appears in the photo they were OK, but I noticed the water working behing the "dunes," possibly creating a washout condition on the property side of the dunes (parallel to the beach). Did you see any of that? Just curious.

We REALLY appreciate the info and visuals !! :clap_1:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Moondance said:
Kurt, any idea how well the geo dunes held up?? It appears in the photo they were OK, but I noticed the water working behing the "dunes," possibly creating a washout condition on the property side of the dunes (parallel to the beach). Did you see any of that? Just curious.

We REALLY appreciate the info and visuals !! :clap_1:

Actually, the geodune appears to have trapped some sand behind it. Lee Perry fared well this time. Compare it to the before picture and I think you can see the all of the imported sand almost covered it. However, with a closer hit, I think that geodune would be history.

Smiling JOe said:
Actually, the geodune appears to have trapped some sand behind it. Lee Perry fared well this time. Compare it to the before picture and I think you can see the all of the imported sand almost covered it. However, with a closer hit, I think that geodune would be history.
Agreed. Thanks for the info.

Any thoughts yet about whether overall sand deposits were "net negative," "net positive" or neutral??

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Moondance said:
Agreed. Thanks for the info.

Any thoughts yet about whether overall sand deposits were "net negative," "net positive" or neutral??

Still too early to tell, and that answer could vary greatly depending on many things. Will also be difficult to compare with all of the imported sand being placed in piles instead of being spread like it is now. Most piles have settled nicely. It is early, but my guess is that we may have more sand on the beaches, and I do not attribute it to the least to the scraping.

Smiling JOe said:
Still too early to tell, and that answer could vary greatly depending on many things. Will also be difficult to compare with all of the imported sand being placed in piles instead of being spread like it is now. Most piles have settled nicely. It is early, but my guess is that we may have more sand on the beaches, and I do not attribute it to the least to the scraping.
Agreed again (I'm easy...). I just saw CCK's post on another thread, posted here for general info:

Camp Creek Kid said:
I'm happy to report that everything looks fine on the beach. In fact, I agree with Smiling JOe--it appears that there is actually MORE sand on the beaches. The private beach access that the Cottages at Camp Creek shares with the neighboring streets is intact and very sturdy. All of the walkovers that were rebuilt after Dennis are in great shape. There is no debris of any kind on the beach--just lots and lots of foam.

The small piles of sand from scraping that are along the dune line are still there there doesn't appear to be any significant dune erosion at all. The bottom step of our access is almost covered with sand whereas yesterday at about 6 p.m. it had a six-inch drop.

There was a house that had trucked in sand and last night I was sure that all of that sand would be washed away. I was surprised to see that the new sand was still there and there was very little erosion to it.

All-in-all as far as I can tell, the beaches faired well and there was no property damage. Everyone rest easy about SoWal and lets concentrate on doing what we can to help our neighbors in NOLA, Biloxi, and Mobile. I would recommend that you NOT come down to check on your properties. Lets keep the roads open for the evacuees to get back to their homes. Everything here is suprisingly fine.