• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
After reading the "Looting" thread and after my experience last night, I decided we need to hear some good news about people in this diasater. I personally have had to stop watching the news for now...not FORGET, just not see anymore destruction and human suffering. But, we have read good news on this message board of people giving to the Red Cross, some even volunteering their time, and giving their homes to the displaced. There is hope when I read these things.

Last night, I ran up to the store here in Dallas for some coffee (what a simple little thing!) and stood in line behind an older woman and a woman with with 2 kids. They were conversing with the cashier and it became evident that the woman was from NOLA. She stated that they had evacuated to baton Rouge and all she had packed was a few clothes, her wedding bands, her photo albums...this along with her children and her DOG piled into the car and finally came to Dallas to stay with Grandma. They have since learned that the first floor of their house is flooded. They were upbeat and felt blessed to have a place to go. The grandma was a stitch and said her grandson was saying he was glad they had "free room and board!" Grace under fire! I sent blessings and prayers with them and was glad to welcome them to Dallas.

Share the good news...then there is hope.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Coincidentally, two couples had babies born in the same Dallas hospital after evacuating NO. They had kept driving until they found a place to stay. For one that place was the hospital.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
P8300002.JPG

Posted on the doors to the Donut Hole on Hwy 98 Santa Rosa Beach.
Good thru Sunday Aug 4.

They are also collecting donations for the people affected by the storm and are matching up to $2,500. Go to the Donut Hole and show your support. They make much more than donuts. Great sandwiches for lunch.

P8300001.JPG

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
P8300002.JPG

Posted on the doors to the Donut Hole on Hwy 98 Santa Rosa Beach.
Good thru Sunday Aug 4.

They are also collecting donations for the people affected by the storm and are matching up to $2,500. Go to the Donut Hole and show your support. They make much more than donuts. Great sandwiches for lunch.

P8300001.JPG

God love them!!!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
As many of you have heard/read, they are moving many of the evacuees to the Astodome and Reunion Arena here in TX. Not ideal, but good for the short term as they will have power and much more sanitary living conditions. I am also relieved to see that many school districts here and all over the south are opening their doors to enroll children from the storm areas. Little by little, people in dire need of medical attention are getting air lifted out to hospitals. There were a couple of stories about sick little babies and children who had just had bone marrow transplants being moved. Of course, they are still too many tragic stories out there to be believed...but as I stated earlier, for me these kind of stories are the ones that we can hold on to in the coming months to sustain our hope for the future. God Bless America and all it's people.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
My husband just sent me an e-mail- his company has set up a donation program and will be matching 100% all employee contributions. I'm sure other businesses are doing the same.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
jdarg said:
My husband just sent me an e-mail- his company has set up a donation program and will be matching 100% all employee contributions. I'm sure other businesses are doing the same.

This is very good news and yes, I had hear other companies doing this same thing. This country is awesome...I am proud to an American.