• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Moondance said:
In addition, we have prepared a notebook for our renters with any number of pieces of cautionary and orientation/helpful information. For example, from an earlier post, I found the following and will be adding it to our book:

http://www.swfd.org/watersafety.php

Good stuff available on this board and available generally on the internet.

I hope your renters can read good so they will know what to do. :rofl:

(Sorry, for the disruption. )

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
We didn't have internet access so we watched beach tv (ch.12) and I'm pretty sure they posted the daily swim conditions. (my mind is fuzzy at the moment) Every piece of literature I picked up had Seymour the crab in it. The owner of the condo had a little magnet on the fridge instructing how to swim out of a rip current. We were very prepared thanks to sowal.com but I thought even when your average tourist visits, it would be hard to miss the warnings. I know there are so many that feel that this is their only vacation and darn it.. they are gonna swim in the ocean. What can you do?

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Hmmmm, another drowning, another discussion about how to read the flags, no lifeguards. What's that definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over hoping for a different outcome?

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Ocean Lover said:
We didn't have internet access so we watched beach tv (ch.12) and I'm pretty sure they posted the daily swim conditions. (my mind is fuzzy at the moment) Every piece of literature I picked up had Seymour the crab in it. The owner of the condo had a little magnet on the fridge instructing how to swim out of a rip current. We were very prepared thanks to sowal.com but I thought even when your average tourist visits, it would be hard to miss the warnings. I know there are so many that feel that this is their only vacation and darn it.. they are gonna swim in the ocean. What can you do?

How does Beach TV show the flag conditions. I'd really like to give guests options for finding out about beach conditions so they have no excuse for not knowing, even if the flag poles are temporarily down due to storms. Do they show the flags on the hour? half hour? Any helpful hints?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Paula said:
How does Beach TV show the flag conditions. I'd really like to give guests options for finding out about beach conditions so they have no excuse for not knowing, even if the flag poles are temporarily down due to storms. Do they show the flags on the hour? half hour? Any helpful hints?

I think they just give an explaination of the flag warning system in the area. There is no update of flag levels in my memory.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Bob said:
Hmmmm, another drowning, another discussion about how to read the flags, no lifeguards. What's that definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over hoping for a different outcome?

Even the Sheriff's office on jet skis were not able to perform a rescue. I don't know if lifeguards would make it either.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
Paula said:

During the weather broadcasts they would say..It's blue flag day out on the beach today or something like that. Maybe someone local could watch and give you more specifics.

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
We watched Beach TV the whole time we were there, and I didn't see a single flag condition reported. And, unless you enter the beach at a public access or near one, you probably won't see a flag system the whole time you are there. I looked for them, and walked miles on the beach, and never saw a flag. It's impossible to put flags every 100 yards, I suppose, but giving conditions on television would make a big impact I am sure.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
BeachDreamer said:
We watched Beach TV the whole time we were there, and I didn't see a single flag condition reported. And, unless you enter the beach at a public access or near one, you probably won't see a flag system the whole time you are there. I looked for them, and walked miles on the beach, and never saw a flag. It's impossible to put flags every 100 yards, I suppose, but giving conditions on television would make a big impact I am sure.

If it wasn't beach tv then it was on the local weather on TWC. I know I heard or saw it somewhere.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
Beach TV is a loop tape running on an automated system (I had the 5 cent tour years ago). It would be easy to include an overlay (like the clear ones at the bottom that tell you the channel) of the current flag status. It was running out of the TV station on Back Beach Road in PCB, I think it's channel 7.