• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Whoooaaa Nellie! You have a documented case!?!? Names, date and virus strain, please...I don't know if Florida Girl's discovery will be a bigger boon to the homophobes or the folks who brew DEET.

YOU
CAN'T
CATCH
AIDS
FROM
MOSQUITO
BITES!!!

What? What credentials do you have to make such a statement? I mean, common sense tells you a mosquito sucks blood just like a hypodermic needle...use your gray matter, silly. Next, you'll tell us going to bed with wet hair doesn't cause pnemonia!

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
What? What credentials do you have to make such a statement? I mean, common sense tells you a mosquito sucks blood just like a hypodermic needle...use your gray matter, silly. Next, you'll tell us going to bed with wet hair doesn't cause pnemonia!

but you can get AIDS from licking someone's eye, i'm pretty sure.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
well first I believe it is AIDs.
second mosquitos cannot spread AIDs
Actually, if we were being technical, it would be either AIDS or Aids.

FLGirl, did you ask this question on this other website which I found?

Dear Alice,
Can you get AIDS from a mosquito bite? I heard you can't, but I'm really paranoid about this. Actually, it wasn't a bite ? I squashed the bug and all the blood in it splattered everywhere and then here I am with someone's blood on a cut in my finger. HELP! I'm really freaking out. I don't know if I should get tested or not again, because I did get tested before (negative), but the anguish of waiting for results was horrible. Maybe I'm just ultra paranoid?
?Bitten (or smitten?)

Dear Bitten (or smitten?),
What you've heard is correct ? you can't get AIDS from a mosquito. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), mosquitoes do not inject blood when they bite. As a result, mosquitoes do not transmit the virus. What they do inject is an itch-inducing saliva that acts as a lubricant to aid blood extraction, but it does not carry the virus.
Even if the mosquito you squashed had just bitten an HIV infected person, the virus would stay alive within the mosquito's body for a short time. The fragility of HIV makes it impossible to be transmitted through inanimate objects, casual contact, or insects. Since it does not mutate the cells within insects or animals as it does in humans, testing for a vaccine/treatment for HIV has been more difficult than with other diseases where clinical trials have been performed on animals first before humans.
Mosquito bites do not transmit the virus in the same way that needle pricks do. Syringes are dangerous because they allow virus-infected blood to survive in a shielded, airtight environment. Mosquitoes, on the other hand, carry only a tiny amount of residual blood on the outside of their mouths after a bite. That blood is exposed to the virus-unfriendly outside air. Furthermore, the concentration of HIV present in infected blood can be very low. Even after an infected bite, the blood on the bug's mouth might not contain the virus at all. In any case, stop worrying about this one. You can rest easy now, Bitten not Smitten.

30gAy

Beach Fanatic
Jul 4, 2006
The greater SoWal metro area

TripleB

Beach Fanatic
Jul 15, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Whoooaaa Nellie! You have a documented case!?!? Names, date and virus strain, please...I don't know if Florida Girl's discovery will be a bigger boon to the homophobes or the folks who brew DEET.

YOU
CAN'T
CATCH
AIDS
FROM
MOSQUITO
BITES!!!
The mosquito one needs to be most wary of is the HHDA (Haitian Homosexual Drug Addicted) mosquito.