• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mcdyer

Beach Crab
Mar 1, 2007
Hello,

I will be visiting Grayton Beach the first week in May and need some info. I will be bringing a 19 Ft. nitro bass boat with a 150 motor and want to know if there are any motor restrictions on Western lake or if it would be safe to fish in the bay with a bass boat. If anyone had any spots or suggestions that would be helpful. Thank you.:dunno:

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
Lot's of guys fish the bay and rivers out of bass boats, but you better be ready to spend a LONG time flushing and cleaning her up afterwards- that boat (and the trailer) is not built to handle the salt water. If you do bring it, on your way home stop at a freshwater lake (King's near DeFuniak, Jackson in Florala, both off 331 N; or Eufala off 431 N) and splash the whole rig.

That said, I'd still bring it. Too much fun to be had.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
What Chrisv said.... I will reiterate this part -- Those boats aren't made for salt water. If you just want to fish on Western Lake, rent a canoe or a fishing Kayak -- the Lake isn't that big. If you go on a canoe, be sure to bring a 10- 15# anchor so you won't get blown around.

As for safety with a bass boat on the Bay -- it all depends on the weather. Some days the Bay is glass smooth, but it can change very rapidly into Gulf looking waters in terms of roughness, and can spell danger for an unprepared boater.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
there are plenty of 'holes' in the bay where fishes of all types seem to congregate

and not only spash your boat all over with fresh water, but run the motor for long enough to get *all* the salt water out or once you get it home it'll be like towing a brick until the impeller breaks off inside the housing

jet skis are much more fun to rent than kayaks or canoes, and they can actually go all the way across the bay

you are responsible for your own safety in the bay, maintain a careful watch on the weather and if you don't see any other boats in a certain area, don't go blazing into that area until you know why, because you might make me spill my drink laughing so hard as you ride the bottom up to about 3" depth and walk around the flat looking for pieces

have fun, but leave your bass boat at home and rent a jet ski (in my humble and thoroughly biased opinion)

mcdyer

Beach Crab
Mar 1, 2007
Thanks for the replys, I live in NE Ga. and have took this boat to the flats in Steinahatchee but did not know about this area. Im staying in GBSP where would be the closest ramp to the bay? Thanks for the info.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Thanks for the replys, I live in NE Ga. and have took this boat to the flats in Steinahatchee but did not know about this area. Im staying in GBSP where would be the closest ramp to the bay? Thanks for the info.
331 bridge has a couple of dropins on the north and south sides (on the actual causeway.)

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
I'd recommend the boat ramp in Pt. Washington, at the north end of CR-395. Less wind to deal with.

Come see us for frozen or live bait.