• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Just a thought- are the $99 Sandestin rentals for the Bayside Inn? If so, they've been having those kinds of specials for years, and through multiple Sandestin ownerships. I seem to remember the Elephant Walk tri race brochures circa 2003-04 advertising $89-$99 special event rates for the end of August there, and special event rates tend to be the usual discount rates.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Good point and doesn't the DO have an expiration? So if they do not continue with the development they may have to go through the process of receiving yet enother DO. Just wondering.
I believe you are correct, and good luck with fighting a repeated battle of getting a DO around here.

One other point is that you cannot be building for today and expect to make money. You have to build for tomorrow. Look at the need we had for housing only three and four years ago. It wasn't here, and the realization of the need truly needed to happen probably 3 years before that in order to begin the planning process. If you wait to see 17 other high rises being built before you relize that there might be a need for condos (PCB), it is too late.
See my Mark Twain quote below.

Last edited:

mf

Banned
May 14, 2006
I believe you are correct, and good luck with fighting a repeated battle of getting a DO around here.

One other point is that you cannot be building for today and expect to make money. You have to build for tomorrow.

PRECISELY! and building condo on top of house on top of condo without addressing planning or infrastructure that affects home values is DEFINITELY someone building for today..this is most definitely NOT taking advantage of tomorrow's opportunities!:dunno:

but then real business acumen takes vision and the ability to see more than two feet in front of you.

mf

Banned
May 14, 2006
I wonder if it's not the Village (which seems to be a nice enough cash cow) but the Market Shops, which would seem to be pretty redundant once Grand Boulevard is completed. Great location, but not a shopping center that seems to generate much interest, and it seems like they've got a fair amount of tennant turnover.

As far as Sandestin employees go, from the former employees I've talked to, the management problems and labor difficulties go back about three different ownership changes.

no, i'm not confused. while market shops is most definitely irrelevant, i'm talking about the village. since sandestin encourages serving underage drinkers the sherriff won't come to the village anymore, this is creating some issue with safety and that combined with sandestin conferences marketing to a demographic that doesn't have discretionary income for high-end retail (where does sandestin advertise? think "budget traveller) means we will likely see retail tenants abandoning the village in droves.

as far as sandestin employees go, in my opininon, they don't have a clue. and management is all an inside job here. the dumb fail their way upwards. none of them could get a job at a 5 star resort.

Last edited:

mf

Banned
May 14, 2006
That could be one way of looking at it. Many feel that the market will be ok. Do you really feel they all will fail?

i think there are always people who will pay to live in dumps, but they won't pay top dollar. i guess i saw more potential in this place than developers did. i saw it having the potential to be so much more than the "redneck riveria", so i guess i did disagree.

mf

Banned
May 14, 2006
i think there are always people who will pay to live in dumps, but they won't pay top dollar. i guess i saw more potential in this place than developers did. i saw it having the potential to be so much more than the "redneck riveria", so i guess i did disagree.

i also strongly believe after my own research that maintaining local charm, but improving infrastructure is exactly what would bring top dollar here. i guess people disagree on what progress is. but you can't disagree on what increases home values.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
as far as sandestin employees go, in my opininon, they don't have a clue. and management is all an inside job here. the dumb fail their way upwards. none of them could get a job at a 5 star resort.

I see Sandestin as a place that's succeeded in spite of management screw-ups for the past 30 years, not because of any great planning and promotion on their part other than lucking into a great location.

So the latest ownership change isn't anything earth-shattering. Sandestin will still be okay, no matter how much the new boss turns out to be same as the old boss.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I know many Realtors who dislike taking listings in Sandestin, because it is much more difficult to sell homes, townhomes, and condos in there than compared to other places, for multiple reasons.

mf

Banned
May 14, 2006
I see Sandestin as a place that's succeeded in spite of management screw-ups for the past 30 years, not because of any great planning and promotion on their part other than lucking into a great location.

So the latest ownership change isn't anything earth-shattering. Sandestin will still be okay, no matter how much the new boss turns out to be same as the old boss.

hm...read just a few of the travel reviews online or, better yet, ask a tourist on their way home from a holiday here. i think you'll find the smugness sandestin feels about their own "success" is not exactly warranted. while they've had some success in the past. they're resting on their laurels and i'm afraid that's worn thin with all but the springbreakers and cheapest of tourist.