• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
hm...read just a few of the travel reviews online or, better yet, ask a tourist on their way home from a holiday here. i think you'll find the smugness sandestin feels about their own "success" is not exactly warranted. while they've had some success in the past. they're resting on their laurels and i'm afraid that's worn thin with all but the springbreakers and cheapest of tourist.
Well, the Factory STores are just around the corner.

tivoli

Beach Lover
hm...read just a few of the travel reviews online or, better yet, ask a tourist on their way home from a holiday here. i think you'll find the smugness sandestin feels about their own "success" is not exactly warranted. while they've had some success in the past. they're resting on their laurels and i'm afraid that's worn thin with all but the springbreakers and cheapest of tourist.

Recently sold our Sandestin Tivoli in the fall of 06',which we owned for over two years . During our ownership, we noticed predominantly negative changes within the resort. First of all, paying over $6,000 a year in ownership fees, can be quite expensive. My pet peeve is that despite paying exorbitant monthly fees, my rentals were not allowed access to the Sandestin resort amenities unless I purchased the Sandestin self-rental plan ,which costs thousands of additional dollars. Yet people staying in the Sandestin hotels can now use ALL resort amenities, including lodgers at the recently opened Courtyard Marriott and Residence Inn.

So now you have, the Hilton, Bayside Inn, Club Intrawest, Courtyard Marriott and the Residence Inn all renting nightly and using the beach and parking. Additionally, the two new Luau buildings are using the beach as well....where are all of these people going to sit on the Beach or park ? Row #12???

I can see why realtors do not want a Sandestin listing .Because when
it doesn't sell.....it is not due to the realtors lack of effort or expertise, it's trying to market and sell a Southwinds $7million penthouse , while competing with a $69.00 a night winter special.....the two don't mix!!!
It saddens me to see what has transpired with Sandestin. It seems management only sees the $$$$ and has forgotten what made Sandestin special.

Sandestin has a big draw with the Baytowne Wharf and its demise
would really hurt the resort. Question viability of Market Shops with
the new Howard Group project which is a positive addition for the area.

Sandestin is trying to be everything to everybody, and they just can't do it....they have decide what they really want to be.......an upscale
resort or a budget hotel.......

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
I think the reason you see dev/builders moving forward is because the process started years ago. When we see something break ground today it did not start last week. The DO process takes forever and many dev/builders were wrapping it all up when the market turned. Money is on the table and spoken for. I think many have no choice but to move forward...

Well put Bobby..........the transaction with the banks have already happened now they are forced to proceed. Alot of dev/builders hold off on their CO's as long as they can hoping for a change in the market.

mf

Banned
May 14, 2006
Recently sold our Sandestin Tivoli in the fall of 06',which we owned for over two years . During our ownership, we noticed predominantly negative changes within the resort. First of all, paying over $6,000 a year in ownership fees, can be quite expensive. My pet peeve is that despite paying exorbitant monthly fees, my rentals were not allowed access to the Sandestin resort amenities unless I purchased the Sandestin self-rental plan ,which costs thousands of additional dollars. Yet people staying in the Sandestin hotels can now use ALL resort amenities, including lodgers at the recently opened Courtyard Marriott and Residence Inn.

So now you have, the Hilton, Bayside Inn, Club Intrawest, Courtyard Marriott and the Residence Inn all renting nightly and using the beach and parking. Additionally, the two new Luau buildings are using the beach as well....where are all of these people going to sit on the Beach or park ? Row #12???

I can see why realtors do not want a Sandestin listing .Because when
it doesn't sell.....it is not due to the realtors lack of effort or expertise, it's trying to market and sell a Southwinds $7million penthouse , while competing with a $69.00 a night winter special.....the two don't mix!!!
It saddens me to see what has transpired with Sandestin. It seems management only sees the $$$$ and has forgotten what made Sandestin special.

Sandestin has a big draw with the Baytowne Wharf and its demise
would really hurt the resort. Question viability of Market Shops with
the new Howard Group project which is a positive addition for the area.

Sandestin is trying to be everything to everybody, and they just can't do it....they have decide what they really want to be.......an upscale
resort or a budget hotel.......

you pegged the sandestin problem perfectly. why on earth would someone buy a 1.3 million townhouse in a half-finished development when it's within walking distance of a cheap springbreak hotel full of college kids?

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
you pegged the sandestin problem perfectly. why on earth would someone buy a 1.3 million townhouse in a half-finished development when it's within walking distance of a cheap springbreak hotel full of college kids?

I thought Destin and Walton county had a policy where, during Spring Break, you can't rent a room unless you are 25 years old. I know...I know...fake ids and older friends allow some to get around this but I really do think it curbs the problem for us. Drive on 98 through Destin and Sowal or 30A and then drive into Panama City Beach on Front Beach Road ... the differences are obvious. A Sowaller, spring break time for me isn't about having to deal with the rowdy college kids.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I thought Destin and Walton county had a policy where, during Spring Break, you can't rent a room unless you are 25 years old. I know...I know...fake ids and older friends allow some to get around this but I really do think it curbs the problem for us. Drive on 98 through Destin and Sowal or 30A and then drive into Panama City Beach on Front Beach Road ... the differences are obvious. A Sowaller, spring break time for me isn't about having to deal with the rowdy college kids.
Jill, I think that is more a general rule of thumb, and I don't think it is held to the period of only Spring Break. While we don't have as many drunken college kids around here right now as do Destin and Panama City Beach, you need go no farther than Seaside to find them. You will see them gathered in groups of about 15-20 people. They seem to be dotted up and down the beaches of the entire length of 30A. Around here, they are placed a little more in check by the numerous families in the area while PCB doesn't have nearly as much of that family atmosphere.

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
Jill, I think that is more a general rule of thumb, and I don't think it is held to the period of only Spring Break. While we don't have as many drunken college kids around here right now as do Destin and Panama City Beach, you need go no farther than Seaside to find them. You will see them gathered in groups of about 15-20 people. They seem to be dotted up and down the beaches of the entire length of 30A. Around here, they are placed a little more in check by the numerous families in the area while PCB doesn't have nearly as much of that family atmosphere.

And thankfully, we don't have bumber to bumber traffic on 30A and 98 with cars full of half naked girls (think Girls Gone Wild) and baby faced college boys acting insane (and all, both girls and boys, mostly hammered). There isn't enough craziness to draw MTV SPRING BREAK to SoWal or Destin is my point. Of course we have groups of college kids using the family beach home. That said, I haven't been to the 331 at night during spring break which could be interesting?? Or not??