• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

PalmBeach

Beach Lover
Feb 21, 2007
I also am familiar with the developer and I don't think he will withdraw any of his units. Nobody knows how the auction will go, but he is very realistic in his expectations and is ready to sell these units. When all is said and done, the developer has no debt on this project and, while he is sensitive to the fact that many of the original buyers were investers intending to flip (and now need to sell), he will be able to sell at a price below any of the units that are currently listed. Are you the person who has the unit listed with Garrett?
One 3 BR unit went for $290,000 + 10% fee and one 2 BR unit went for 170,000 + 10% fee Then the developer WITHDREW ALL of the other units!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently I am more familiar with the developer than you.

FLSunChaser

Beach Lover
Apr 26, 2006
One 3 BR unit went for $290,000 + 10% fee and one 2 BR unit went for 170,000 + 10% fee Then the developer WITHDREW ALL of the other units!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently I am more familiar with the developer than you.

Actually, the three bedroom went for $285K + 10% premium, and TWO two bedrooms went for $170K each. There was a phone bidder that jumped in at the last minute. Still a total bust.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Actually, the three bedroom went for $285K + 10% premium, and TWO two bedrooms went for $170K each. There was a phone bidder that jumped in at the last minute. Still a total bust.

New comps in the neighborhood and several new affordable rentals available....not a total bust. ;-)

bdc63

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2006
Md for now, but dreaming of SoWal
I have no special insight, but I'll register a guess ...

I'll go with that range ... $212K to $295K (for the 3 bedroom units) ... assuming that at least 7 people show up that want a 3 bedroom condo 1/2 mile from the beach.

Not a bad guess, if I do say so myself.:blush:

What's this crap about withdrawing units from an absolute auction? If you have a minimum, set a reserve. Otherwise, take what is offered. I wonder how many pissed off out-of-towners you have wondering around SOWAL right now that flew in for the "absolute auction."

6 months from now when all of the Alt-A crap has hit the fan, this developer might just be kicking himself for not selling when he had the chance.

But now, the really important question ... what did they have for snacks, and what color balloons were on display?

Last edited:

jbwiggins

Beach Comber
Jul 6, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Final notes on the auction:
1) the Developer chose an out of state auction company not Roebuck or Anderson.
2) The properties were grouped so that the bidding would start with a 3 br, then a 2br, and return to the 3br
3) the "winning bidder" was not there it was a phone bid
4) the same "winning bidder" "won" the 3 br and the 2br
5) After the dismal selling prices the developer (on the phone?) cancelled the auction BUT he offered the remaining 2br units at the auction price of $170,000 to anyone that wanted them.

My theory is that the developer was the "winning phone bidder" and that no property changed hands at the auction.
I think his bottom dollar was @ $325,000 for the 3 br and $220,00 for the 2 br. The only negative impact will be the comps for the current unit owners. BTW he advertised condo fees at $200/month - today that went up to $330.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
2 br went for 170 and 3 br went for 295.

Three posts and three different prices. Are you guys sure that you attended the same auction? :dunno: If so, which one of you was paying the most attention to the auctioneer?

bdc63

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2006
Md for now, but dreaming of SoWal
2) The properties were grouped so that the bidding would start with a 3 br, then a 2br, and return to the 3br
5) After the dismal selling prices the developer (on the phone?) cancelled the auction BUT he offered the remaining 2br units at the auction price of $170,000 to anyone that wanted them.

My theory is that the developer was the "winning phone bidder" and that no property changed hands at the auction.
I think his bottom dollar was @ $325,000 for the 3 br and $220,00 for the 2 br. The only negative impact will be the comps for the current unit owners. BTW he advertised condo fees at $200/month - today that went up to $330.

Thanks for all the great info. A couple more questions:
Approx. how many people were there?
What was the opening bid on the 3 bedroom unit, and approx. how many bids were placed for it to get up to its sell price?

Is it even legal
- to place a phantom bid on your own property in an absolute auction?
- to withdraw items from an absolute auction?
- for the developer to raise the association fees over 50% in one move with no notice?

Thanks.

Last edited:

FLSunChaser

Beach Lover
Apr 26, 2006

I think they advertised the HOA Fees wrong. Mine were never $200/month. I think I pay $285/month (one bedroom). Also, the gentleman that bought both units was PRESENT at the auction. There was a phone bidder that took the 2nd two bedroom unit.

The developer chose the out of state auction company because of the national exposure they have. Not that it helped in this auction (although it's a sign of the times), but they have proven results across the country and are fantastic people to do business with. Jim Sullivan, who has lived and owned and developed in this area for a long time, obviously trusts and has the confidence in National Auction Group so much that he's having them auction off several of his Heron's Watch units next month. And they sold his Gulf Front house on Chivas Lane.