• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beachmom

Beach Fanatic
Sep 7, 2006
Grayton Beach!
You give me WaY too much credit:D Supermom and SGB are the ones making this happen- so organized- I'm doing good to take partial notes with scribble all over them:bang: Publicity and marketing are not my strong suits, but I can make it look pretty :rotfl: !!

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Beachmom & SGB,

Thanks for all your hard work. The two of you are incredible. Found a place for free petitions online if we want to go that way to show the amount of support for the play park, since the meeting will be on the 10th during spring break. If you can get me a copy of the proposal, I will get it done, so that you don't have to worry about it and I will post on meetup.com and take to Butler, etc.

Hi! Thanks to you and Beachmom for your input on what you think the children would like. I'm hoping to write up our wish list in the next week. I'm not really sure what the proposal needs to include for meetup.com, but think it's a great idea to get the signatures. Is there someway to post it to get signatures with just a paragraph that summarizes what our mission is? Thanks for taking this on!

sunny456

Beach Lover
Aug 25, 2005
Hey,

Have y'all been out to the playpark at Frank Brown Park in PCB? It's only a mile from the Hwy 98 and 79 intersection. Anyway, I went out there last week and was floored by how nice the aquatic center (they even have a 1-4 foot gradual pool with a "floating" fort in the center for the kiddies) and playpark were.

If you haven't been, it might be worth it to drop by and check it out before turning the wishlist in.

And I vote for no tire chips to be used. They smell bad and I think my son would try to eat them (YUCK!).

Thanks!

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Hi! Thanks to you and Beachmom for your input on what you think the children would like. I'm hoping to write up our wish list in the next week. I'm not really sure what the proposal needs to include for meetup.com, but think it's a great idea to get the signatures. Is there someway to post it to get signatures with just a paragraph that summarizes what our mission is? Thanks for taking this on!

There is/are (a) separate website(s) to draw up petitions for free. We can do that, either with a simple paragraph, or something longer, and then post the link here and on meetup.com. We can also make up a flyer with the web address and get it to the schools, etc. so they can get it to students' folders.

Citymouse just joined SoWal and she is the organizer of the meetup.com SRB group. She was at the 2nd meeting we had (first at the Market), with her little boy. She posted under the knitting classes. I :love: her.

Just like everyone else, I am just happy to help because it brings our community together and that's really what my family & I love about living here.:D

DuneDog

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
copy of a letter that I wrote

Dear Commissioner Meadows:

I have been reading and hearing several different versions for what is planned at the Moll Drive property which has/is being acquired from Mr. Max Matthews. I am sorry that we were unable to work something out regarding the sale of our own property just to the north of this however now I must take the position to protect the residential neighborhood which we have planned to develop on our own property.

I would like to participate and voice my concerns at any workshops or public hearings that will be held with regard to the use of the newly acquired property. Is the change of use out of residential similar to how it is done in the private sector? Will the county be holding a public forum with notice to the neighbors prior to changing the use of this property? Changing to this new use in the property next to ours is tantamount to converting your next door neighbor?s property to a commercial use with the equivalent traffic count of a Wal-Mart Superstore.

Be assured that I support increased recreational activity at this site. However, I must tell you that I have extremely strong concerns regarding mega-watt lighting that may illuminate my property as well as increases in traffic and noise etc. Keeping this in mind I feel that the best use for this acreage would be recreational area for non-organized team sporting events. i.e. children?s play areas, exercise/nature trails, dog parks, etc. Recreation should accommodate everyone - there are plenty of children that can't/don't play team sports - and a place for them and others is equally important. Lighting and parking that is necessary for such a use must be responsibly considered as it will seriously impact the value and quiet enjoyment of my property and the other neighboring properties which are all zoned for residential use only.

I strongly oppose expansion of a ballpark or field which would place intrusive lighting, traffic and noise in an east/west direction on the west side of Moll Drive. The effects of noise and mega-watt lighting would most surely bleed over to mine and other neighbor?s property. This can and should be done on the east side of the street where ball parks already exist. The 10 acres north of the existing ball park would be a good spot.

Please point me in the right direction of how I may be kept up to date and participate in what is being planned for this location. I want to be assured that there will be oversight and public participation to insure that all of the impact to the neighborhood and the environment is respectfully and responsibly considered.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Hey, everyone! I have been away from the 'puter for a few days and wanted to know where we all were on this. DuneDog, thanks for this copy. I am not sure if people have contacted you about it via PMs or not, but I do feel that we need to all work together in achieving everyone's goals. For everyone else, was this issue brought up in conversations with Cindy Meadows and others? I know that at the last meeting we had, we were discussing the pros & cons of the locations of the park in regards to what we can get voted through easily.

Basically, where are we in this process?

Hope all is well with everyone. And, again, DuneDog, thanks for the post. It is incredibly helpful in this matter.

copy of a letter that I wrote

Dear Commissioner Meadows:

I have been reading and hearing several different versions for what is planned at the Moll Drive property which has/is being acquired from Mr. Max Matthews. I am sorry that we were unable to work something out regarding the sale of our own property just to the north of this however now I must take the position to protect the residential neighborhood which we have planned to develop on our own property.

I would like to participate and voice my concerns at any workshops or public hearings that will be held with regard to the use of the newly acquired property. Is the change of use out of residential similar to how it is done in the private sector? Will the county be holding a public forum with notice to the neighbors prior to changing the use of this property? Changing to this new use in the property next to ours is tantamount to converting your next door neighbor?s property to a commercial use with the equivalent traffic count of a Wal-Mart Superstore.

Be assured that I support increased recreational activity at this site. However, I must tell you that I have extremely strong concerns regarding mega-watt lighting that may illuminate my property as well as increases in traffic and noise etc. Keeping this in mind I feel that the best use for this acreage would be recreational area for non-organized team sporting events. i.e. children?s play areas, exercise/nature trails, dog parks, etc. Recreation should accommodate everyone - there are plenty of children that can't/don't play team sports - and a place for them and others is equally important. Lighting and parking that is necessary for such a use must be responsibly considered as it will seriously impact the value and quiet enjoyment of my property and the other neighboring properties which are all zoned for residential use only.

I strongly oppose expansion of a ballpark or field which would place intrusive lighting, traffic and noise in an east/west direction on the west side of Moll Drive. The effects of noise and mega-watt lighting would most surely bleed over to mine and other neighbor?s property. This can and should be done on the east side of the street where ball parks already exist. The 10 acres north of the existing ball park would be a good spot.

Please point me in the right direction of how I may be kept up to date and participate in what is being planned for this location. I want to be assured that there will be oversight and public participation to insure that all of the impact to the neighborhood and the environment is respectfully and responsibly considered.

supermom262

Beach Fanatic
Nov 5, 2006
Grayton Beach
SGB, Organicmama and Beachmom and whomever else, we should meet again to hammer down anything we need to discuss for the meeting. Are we on the agenda already?

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
I have the form to fill out to get on the agenda. If we could meet sometime later this week, Wednesday or Thursday, that would be great. We can fill out the form and it would give me a deadline to write up the wish list we came up with last week.

Regarding land use of the new 10 acres at Helen McCall... Personally, I don't want to get in the middle of a land use arguement. I think that's something for the county to handle with the land owners in the area. My overall goal is to get more recreational land and much needed facilities for the children in South Walton. In particular, our group is focusing on a playground and other play areas, but I don't think it should happen at the expense of other recreational requirements. Just my 2 cents.

DuneDog

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
My overall goal is to get more recreational land and much needed facilities for the children in South Walton. In particular, our group is focusing on a playground and other play areas, but I don't think it should happen at the expense of other recreational requirements. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed, more recreational land for all children is a good thing. I have no problem with the land use, in fact I am for it. It is the nature of the recreational development that concerns me. It should be done thoughtfully to complement the existing residential neighborhood. If done right it would be great to live near, if done wrong it will be horrible to live near.