• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WLD

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
ATL
Just wondering if there is any conversation about signicantly increasing the rental rates along 30-A, epecially during high season.

People still seem to want to visit the beach, even if fewer seem to want the risk of actually owning the property.

However, owning the property has become much more expensive (continually rising taxes, homeowner assn fees, maintaining resort amenities, upkeep after storms, and insurance). Rental rates increase a little every year, but we haven't seen anything commensurate with homeowners' cost increases in the past 2-3 years.

Would significantly higher rental rates in high season keep renting visitors away?

Destiny

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2005
West Central Georgia
I don't think increased rates would keep the true beach lovers away from So Wal. There are those that love the So Wal area and can't afford to own due to other committments but would pay dearly to have the opportunity to visit even if the rates are higher. Think of higher rates as security for having the right type of renters in the properties and less chance for damage. The owners would be grateful for that.

Last edited:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Would significantly higher rental rates in high season keep renting visitors away?

IMO that is just one consideration...there are many more:

Turnover in properties over the last couple years have many present owners who've bought in at top-o-the-market prices; so whereas the person who purchased a condo/house in 1999 at a much, much lower price may have been able to show a profit, the present owner would never be able to produce profit unless they increased rental rates significantly.

....Ditto on increasing costs of taxes, HOA fees, and especially insurance.

The number of subdivisions/condos for vacation homes have exploded in this area in the last couple of years (to satisfy the demand of speculators buying for quick flips). These additional vacation properties, which flippers now find they can not sell, are added competition for rentals where once there was none.

The economy is tightening up with major layoffs in manufacturing and housing, increasing gas prices, and inflation now showing up in food and living expenses. Now that the housing boom is subsiding across the nation, and folks are no longer able to use their homes as ATMs to draw discretionary spending dollars, vacationers may be more apt to stick to a tighter budget (if they vacation at all). Many may choose a lower cost alternative to a beach vacation than to take no beach vacation at all...these folks may opt for a condo at PCB rather than SoWal if the price is right, or cause them to delay making plans and using their leverage to snatch a "last minute bargain." This last tactic also gives them some peace of mind that they won't end up "wasting" their vacation deposit should a passing nearby tropical storm or hurricane make for a lousy week at the beach.

There are always the folks with unlimited funds that will vacation here no matter what...some of them already bought their own places during the boom, so they're out; others will stay in the high-cost homes and resorts; and many will be repeat visitors who've got that favorite place they return to time and again. The mid-priced, non-beachfront properties will have work much harder to obtain a competitive edge.

Competition and costs have exploded over the last 2-3 years, the internet makes comparing prices and locations much easier, and the tightening economy is being felt by the middle class...these three things are the major considerations you've gotta keep in mind when selecting a price-point for your vacation rental rates this year.

Last edited:
As a rental property owner I agree with some of Shelly's observations about internet price comparisons and competion for the renters: however, I do agree that rentals will be too hard in South Walton.

The area's reputation continues to grow and those of us from Birmingham(me), Atlanta, Nashville,etc are telling friends and more are wanting what we have, compared to the highrise jungles.

Eventually prices will go up for our area significantly I predict due to demand and costs.

I also don't know where shelly thinks all the layoffs are? Detroit maybe. But the south has a tight labor market and commercial business is good and thats where most of are renters are coming from....at least for now! Airport may change that in future.:roll: