• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
From Fort Walton Beach Mullet Wrapper.

'If you want to sell your house, you have to lower your price,' realtor says
KARI C. BARLOW
2007-04-06

We hear it every day. Northwest Florida?s housing market is stabilizing, returning to normal, slowing to a more reasonable pace.

But what does that really mean? Especially for folks whose ?For Sale? signs have started to grow moss? Or the newlyweds hoping to find a deal?

It means, says broker Richard Bell of Beach Bell Realty, that your price had better be right and your patience intact.

?If I?ve got $400,000 to spend on a house along the Emerald Coast, I?ve got so many choices,? Bell said. ?It?s all about price.?

According to data from the Emerald Coast Association of Realtors, in the fourth quarter of 2006 it would have taken 19.3 months to sell the entire single-family home inventory in the area. It would have taken 54 months to sell all of the condos on the market.

?If you want to sell your house, you have to lower your price,? said Bell, who is based in Atlanta and has experience selling real estate in Northwest Florida. ?Everybody?s got the bells and whistles, but price is that underlying equalizer.?

Early results from the first quarter of 2007 back up his claim.

?We?re seeing a lot of activity on houses that are priced right,? said Ray DiTirro, a Realtor with RE/MAX Southern Realty.

In the fourth quarter of 2006, the average list price for single-family homes was $413,302, and the average sale price was $385,973. So far in 2007, the average list price for single-family homes is $370,594 and the average sale price is $342,064.

When it comes to condos, the market is equally, if not more, crowded, Bell said.

?There?s a huge amount of condos out there,? he said. ?We?re overbuilt, there?s no question about that. We?re waiting for the blood to flow.?

Many condominiums are finally receiving their certificates of occupancy, but Realtors are uncertain about buyers showing up to close the deal.

?There are a lot of people who are just walking away,? DiTirro said. ?They do their cash-flow analysis and they say, ?It?ll cost me less to walk away than to carry this condo.? ?

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Shelly, When someone finally accepts one of your lowballs, will you lighten up?

sberry123

Beach Comber
Mar 5, 2006
Shelly, When someone finally accepts one of your lowballs, will you lighten up?

Here is a nice little e-mail from one of the owners at a condominium where I own a unit. I can see this persons' point if there were one or two sales a month at the Grand Caribbean in Orange Beach Alabama. The problem I have with this persons' e-mail is that the last condo sold in July of 05! Yes, it sold in 2005 for much more, but that was 20 months ago! I think everyone at this complex should be happy. The stalemate between what the seller is asking and what the buyer is willing to pay has been broken. Sure, I personally do not like to see $100K of paper gains go out the window, but that is life! In short, I agree with the article that Shelly posted and reality is backing this up.

"
I would like to thank owner of 417" NOT"

Is this the new going rate for our condos? Why did this owner screw the rest of us by lowering our property values?"

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
From Fort Walton Beach Mullet Wrapper.

'If you want to sell your house, you have to lower your price,' realtor says
KARI C. BARLOW
2007-04-06

We hear it every day. Northwest Florida?s housing market is stabilizing, returning to normal, slowing to a more reasonable pace.

But what does that really mean? Especially for folks whose ?For Sale? signs have started to grow moss? Or the newlyweds hoping to find a deal?

It means, says broker Richard Bell of Beach Bell Realty, that your price had better be right and your patience intact.

?If I?ve got $400,000 to spend on a house along the Emerald Coast, I?ve got so many choices,? Bell said. ?It?s all about price.?

According to data from the Emerald Coast Association of Realtors, in the fourth quarter of 2006 it would have taken 19.3 months to sell the entire single-family home inventory in the area. It would have taken 54 months to sell all of the condos on the market.

?If you want to sell your house, you have to lower your price,? said Bell, who is based in Atlanta and has experience selling real estate in Northwest Florida. ?Everybody?s got the bells and whistles, but price is that underlying equalizer.?

Early results from the first quarter of 2007 back up his claim.

?We?re seeing a lot of activity on houses that are priced right,? said Ray DiTirro, a Realtor with RE/MAX Southern Realty.

In the fourth quarter of 2006, the average list price for single-family homes was $413,302, and the average sale price was $385,973. So far in 2007, the average list price for single-family homes is $370,594 and the average sale price is $342,064.

When it comes to condos, the market is equally, if not more, crowded, Bell said.

?There?s a huge amount of condos out there,? he said. ?We?re overbuilt, there?s no question about that. We?re waiting for the blood to flow.?

Many condominiums are finally receiving their certificates of occupancy, but Realtors are uncertain about buyers showing up to close the deal.

?There are a lot of people who are just walking away,? DiTirro said. ?They do their cash-flow analysis and they say, ?It?ll cost me less to walk away than to carry this condo.? ?

:doh:

JoshMclean

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
Well, at least we know how to sell a house now. Just drop the price until someone buys it. I think 2 bohemians has a couple of buyers that would be perfect!!

JoshMclean

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
I can show you several good buys in our current market that are priced well and haven't sold yet. There are not enough buyers in the current marketplace for everyone to just drop all the prices. Many areas are still overpriced and a lot of sellers do need to get in touch with the current market conditions. I understand that the chances of selling are much higher if you are priced correctly.
Buyers are coming back into the market at a good pace, but it will still take a while to eat up this inventory even if everyone is priced correctly. Of course, if you want to sell at 60% of your home's value...you'll probably find a buyer.

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
We sold a unit at One Seagrove Place, closed in the middle of March. We got what we wanted, being fortunate to have bought in 6 or 7 years ago. Was a great investment and we were able to do what we needed, we wanted to put that money in our new house in Watersound, which is what we had always planned to do.

The kicker is...at the end of the month units in the same building sold for $40K more and another sold for $50K more. We were not upset we got to do what we wanted when we needed to do it. I'm sure the new owners of the unit are very pleased! That unit was listed for less than 10 months and we had already turned down three other offers on it.

Is part of it not as always...location, location, location? Those units at OSP were always had great rental income too. Do you think part of the selling point there could be the rental income history?:dunno:

JoshMclean

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
Rental history can always be a great selling point to an investor. Investors love to see good documented rental history if that's what they are purchasing for.
If you got what you needed out of it so that you could get what you really wanted, that's great! :clap_1:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
There are not enough buyers in the current marketplace for everyone to just drop all the prices.

I don't see it as a chicken-or-egg thing....I see it as a price THEN buyer thing.

Buyers are coming back into the market at a good pace, but it will still take a while to eat up this inventory even if everyone is priced correctly.

Meaning "priced correctly" as not to attract a buyer?

Of course, if you want to sell at 60% of your home's value...you'll probably find a buyer.

That's 60% of what you think your home's value is based on your purchase price and what the guy next door sold his for sometime last year.

Last edited: