• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
I could not disagree with you more about luck and dumb luck being being 100% of successful speculation. Luck plays a very important part in life, generally speaking, but its not ALL luck. Hard work, experience and knowledge plays a role also. I could add timing but that is really a function of dumb luck. My offer to you of dinner at the Watersound Beach Club still stands....especially since " you are no lady" !!!! ;-)

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
Goofer and Shelley,

I for one am thoroughly enjoying this debate. I just wish I understood more - alot of this goes way way over my little head!!! But maybe if I read enough on both your positions I may feel enlightened one way or the other. I think you are both smart cookies!!

Happy Easter.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
CHICKPEA

Thank you very much for your kind words. Discussion and debate is a grayt learning tool.
Theere are some wonderful books on investing that are very easy to understand and easy to read. I highly recommend anything written by Terry Savage and Paul Merriman's "Live it up without outliving your money".

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
CHICKPEA

Thank you very much for your kind words. Discussion and debate is a grayt learning tool.
Theere are some wonderful books on investing that are very easy to understand and easy to read. I highly recommend anything written by Terry Savage and Paul Merriman's "Live it up without outliving your money".

Thanks for the suggestion - I may actually pick this up or even better suggest it as reading material for my book club :blush: because then I HAVE to read it. I have a suspicion that I am far from the only one in my group that could do with refresher course on investing. In the meantime I will keep reading you guys and learning a bit along the way!

Sandcastle

Beach Fanatic
Jan 6, 2006
Tallahassee, Florida
I too am enjoying this discussion. I appreciate the posts from both of you, knowing that someone is bound to take a shot at whatever position you have.

Please continue to keep us informed, goofer.

Just to add a little, I?ve been accumulation TMA on down days-- I like the quality of the company?s mortgages and the heavy buying. Time will tell.:dunno:

Sandcastle

Beach Fanatic
Jan 6, 2006
Tallahassee, Florida
Just to add a little, I?ve been accumulation TMA on down days-- I like the quality of the company?s mortgages and the heavy insider buying. Time will tell.:dunno:

Sorry. After two (or more) martinis ?accumulating? becomes ?accumulation?.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Goofer and Shelley,

I for one am thoroughly enjoying this debate. I just wish I understood more - alot of this goes way way over my little head!!! But maybe if I read enough on both your positions I may feel enlightened one way or the other. I think you are both smart cookies!!

Happy Easter.

Chick,

Here is a good place to start: http://www.investopedia.com/university/

Happy Easter back at ya.

Shel

30gAy

Beach Fanatic
Jul 4, 2006
The greater SoWal metro area
Eww, such a gusshy happy debate you are all having here.

Who's 'stocks do I gotta run up' to get a Happy Easter gropping from everyone?

Did everyone notice that ,for the record, Shelly is not a lady?

Neither am I sweetie, but I still cross my legs when I sit down.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
Time for an update. As you may know the stock market has started a long overdue correction. As I have stated before, the market always gives you a good opportunity 2 or 3 times a year to add to positions. This is the 2nd opportunity after the Feb/March sell off. This is the BEGINNING of the correction. It will probably continue for another 4-6 weeks or another 5% -6% on the downside. I would suggest making up a list of blue chip high dividend paying stocks to buy. Companies such as Bank of America, Citicorp, Coca cola, Johnson and Johnson, Proctor and Gamble, Chevron, Pepsi, Altria , Chubb Insurance, General Mills, Microsoft. Or if you are uncomfortable buying individual stoack, a good low cost S&P 500 index fund is also fine. The talking heads are saying that interest rate are going higher ( they have ticked up ) and that Bill Gross has turned bearish on the bond market ( he has been wrong for 2 years ) and that emerging markets are way ahead of themselves ( true ) and that there are too many speculative private equity deals going on ( also true ) BUT..these are the excuses for a very natural, healthy AND normal correction. The market will work higher over the long term given present economic conditions. All bets are off if there is an exogenous event like a nuclear device being set off somewhere in the world by terrorists.
As far as housing stocks, I am queasy about pulling the trigger because we may be going into another housing swoon. Having said that, I will buy a 25% position in KBH at 38 a 25% position in JOE at 40 a 25% position in Centex and a 25% position in Lennar at 40.....all my limits are below the market. The reasoning being that the recession/depression in housing has to end someday and I think it will take another 3 years of bumping along before supply /demand normalizes so I am willing to leg in very slowly. I DO like MASCO at these prices and Home Depot at 36 and Lowes at 31. I would suggest nibbling on the way down. No one rings a bell at tops or bottoms whether in stocks, commodities or real estate. But all markets always over-react whether going up or down. Take advantage of the oppurtunities that are developing in the stock market.