• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
who wants to put their house on the market. This home would primarily be a full time resident, not vacation. What to do? The carpet in the home is NASTY from pets and kids. So do they put new carpet in for potential buyers or give the buyers an allowance? They are realistic in the market and the price is not going to be inflated like some. ;-) What do you peeps think??? Thanks for any input.....IBD

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
In this market? Definitely put in new carpet. 90 percent of buyers will not be able to look past it. Half may not make it past the living room.

I would bet that not only are buyers looking for great deals, they are looking to score great deals on homes in perfect condition, depending on the neighborhood.

Mid-grade, neutral carpet should help a lot!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
IMO, the carpet should be replaced prior to accepting the listing if the sellers can afford to do so. I've seen plenty of people walk into a home and quickly decide they didn't like the house based on something which is simple and inexpensive to replace, like the color of the walls. Many buyers don't have the vision to see past outdated cabinets, flooring, crazy paint colors, etc.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
I would suggest that they put in new carpet before listing the house since most people that walk thru will be turned off by "nasty" carpet. The only other option is to give a "carpet allowance" as you advertise the listing so people know that they carpet will be replaced and the new buyer can pick the carpet.

Just my 2 cents.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
IMO, the carpet should be replaced prior to accepting the listing if the sellers can afford to do so. I've seen plenty of people walk into a home and quickly decide they didn't like the house based on something which is simple and inexpensive to replace, like the color of the walls. Many buyers don't have the vision to see past outdated cabinets, flooring, crazy paint colors, etc.

So true SJ.

May I also add an another suggestion. The price of carpet has risen dramatically due to oil prices, and if at all possible, if the owner is handy or can afford to hire someone to replace the carpet with hardward or even pergo, it may not be terribly more expensive (unless they plan on putting a very low grade carpet in) and further, it will be easier to clean, especially while on the market since it is housing pets and children.

Last edited:

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
who wants to put their house on the market. This home would primarily be a full time resident, not vacation. What to do? The carpet in the home is NASTY from pets and kids. So do they put new carpet in for potential buyers or give the buyers an allowance? They are realistic in the market and the price is not going to be inflated like some. ;-) What do you peeps think??? Thanks for any input.....IBD

IBD, tune into that show on HGTV, "Designed to Sell"

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_hdts

They take a $2000 materials budget and stage the house for a strong sale and, if you can believe TV, it always works. The sellers always walks away with more money, and recoups the cost they put into the house to make it more palatable to the buying public.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
Thanks for all the input. They were wanting to put in hardwood but did not want to deal with the mess. I will let them know your suggestions....;-)

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
I believe most people buy on emotion and not logic, and presentation fuels buying emotion. Spruce up the home within bounds of reason, and the money will be well spent.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Thanks for all the input. They were wanting to put in hardwood but did not want to deal with the mess. I will let them know your suggestions....;-)

IBD, have you looked the hardwood floors that you can get at Home Depot and/or Lowes? There are several pre-finished "click-it" floors out there that eliminate the mess and hassle. It's not half as difficult to lay a floor as it used to be.