• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WaltonUndercurrent

Beach Lover
Mar 3, 2005
May of our friends have given to the Red Cross, etc. but have also felt a little frustrated that they don't know of specific people that they can help who've been displaced by the storm.

One of the people we've gotten to know after we bought our home in the French Quarter was a 42 year old man name Marvin Bell. Marvin was the concierge at the Maison Dupuy Hotel on Toulouse in the French Quarter. Marvin and his wife have a young son and lost their home and everything they had in New Orleans - they lived in the city's ninth ward, a poor neighbor which was one of the hardest hit by flooding. Since the storm, Marvin has been living with his family outside of Atlanta while his wife and son have been living with her family in Texas.

We've sent money to Marvin to try and help. His gratitude was incredible. He's a fine, ethical, hardworking, quiet and generous man. If someone wants to help with any amount, I'd be happy to give Marvin's address in Atlanta. I can personally guarantee that the money will be wisely given and well used.

Kurt can vouch for me.

Private message me for the address if you're willing to help.

Last edited:

Diane4145

Beach Fanatic
Sep 3, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Is he wanting to get his family, under one roof? I'm curious at why they're not together, at one of their family's. There should be a fairly easy way, to accomplish this.

WaltonUndercurrent said:
May of our friends have given to the Red Cross, etc. but have also felt a little frustrated that they don't know of specific people that they can help who've been displaced by the storm.

One of the people we've gotten to know after we bought our home in the French Quarter was a 42 year old man name Marvin Bell. Marvin was the concierge at the Maison Dupuy Hotel on Toulouse in the French Quarter. Marvin and his wife have a young son and lost their home and everything they had in New Orleans - they lived in the city's ninth ward, a poor neighbor which was one of the hardest hit by flooding. Since the storm, Marvin has been living with his family outside of Atlanta while his wife and son have been living with her family in Texas.

We've sent money to Marvin to try and help. His gratitude was incredible. He's a fine, ethical, hardworking, quiet and generous man. If someone wants to help with any amount, I'd be happy to give Marvin's address in Atlanta. I can personally guarantee that the money will be wisely given and well used.

WaltonUndercurrent

Beach Lover
Mar 3, 2005
I'm not sure. Each family has a number of relatives living with them. The problem isn't really that they want to be together and can't - it's that he's trying to support his family until he can get back to his job or find one. He wants to return to New Orleans if he can.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Diane4145 said:
I'm curious at why they're not together, at one of their family's.

Several of the families that have enrolled at my daughter's school in TX evacuated on Sunday before Katrina hit and made their way to relatives here, leaving the fathers behind. I assume the fathers stayed with their homes until they had to also leave. One family needed to split up due to the amount of room relatives had. You do what you have to for a while, I would think.

JT

Beach Lover
Aug 8, 2005
Atlanta
WaltonUndercurrent said:

Kurt can vouch for me.

I live in Atlanta and have some cloths that I might be able to give he and his family. We are trying to help a faimily of Nine right now that came to live with a relative here. I dont know them but they moved in next to a friend.
Please send me his address. I would like to try to give him a hand.

jt

WaltonUndercurrent

Beach Lover
Mar 3, 2005
They both have elderly parents (who have also lost their homes and still haven't been able to go back an attempt to salvage anything because they're still under some water). They can't find places to house all of them in one place, so they're separated and Marvin is in the postion of having to figure out ways to support everyone.

If you want to help, private me.