• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I've had a ton of crabcakes in Maryland - and yummy they certainly are! but, I truly love Red Bar & 331 crabcakes - they are purely lump crabmeat and delicious - maybe a tad bit of breadcrumb on the outside and pan sauteed - no filler! these are good old Florida crabcakes. can't beat 'em.

I've never seen a maryland crabcake in Florida.

Last edited:

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Okay... I am from Baltimore, Maryland and I know my crab cakes. The absolute only place where I found something comparable was Sarah K's Gourmet in Destin. (same place where best buy, cracker barrel are). they are about $8.50 and they are nothing but crab meat. no fillers, no peppers, onions, bread... nothing to take away from the crab meat. BUT I always sprinkle Old Bay (Publix) on them so I feel l like i am home. Trust me, I have been to the fanciest restaurants here and I laugh when they claim " Maryland style crabcakes".

www.sarahksgourmet.com
what holds them together?

Poodleone

Beach Fanatic
Jun 27, 2006
Kerens, Texas
Here's crab cake blasphemy (my Maryland born mother turns in her grave)- I use the recipe on the side of the Old Bay's can and substitute milk-soaked Pepperidge Farm Dressing for the filler! I broil them in a muffin pan and they pop out nicely formed and crispy.

Last edited:

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Here's crab cake blasphemy (my Maryland born mother turns in her grave)- I use the recipe on the side of the Old Bay's can and substitute milk-soaked Pepperidge Farm Dressing for the filler! I broil them in a muffin pan and they pop out nicely formed and crispy.
I'm gonna try this recipe! :clap_1: I prefer mine with a little filler too.

woodysgrl

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
I am so excited to see this thread as well as the one on Heart and Soul
catering. We are going to try both. But, where is Cafe Tango ?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I've had a ton of crabcakes in Maryland - and yummy they certainly are! but, I truly love Red Bar & 331 crabcakes - they are purely lump crabmeat and delicious - maybe a tad bit of breadcrumb on the outside and pan sauteed - no filler! these are good old Florida crabcakes. can't beat 'em.

I've never seen a maryland crabcake in Florida.

My fav as well. I have quit ordering crabcakes anywhere else. Tried them at Tango and wasn't impressed. :dunno:

skippertoo

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2005
Atlanta (Midtown)
I am so excited to see this thread as well as the one on Heart and Soul
catering. We are going to try both. But, where is Cafe Tango ?

Coming from Seagrove driving towards Destin it is on the left (Very small place) just before Goatfeathers.
This is my favorite place in the area.