• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
i bought healthy food for dinner, but now I want Nick's on the bay.:bang:

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
Just finished one of my favorite, indulgent foods...cheeseburger with onion rings.

For comfort,my family loves meatloaf, mac and cheese, white beans, and some type of chocolate dessert. I enjoy polish sausage, black beans and cooked cabbage. Of course ANY kind of pasta is delish!:love: Plan on making Mexican lasagna for dinner tonight.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Just finished one of my favorite, indulgent foods...cheeseburger with onion rings.

For comfort,my family loves meatloaf, mac and cheese, white beans, and some type of chocolate dessert. I enjoy polish sausage, black beans and cooked cabbage. Of course ANY kind of pasta is delish!:love: Plan on making Mexican lasagna for dinner tonight.

cheeseburger..... yes, the ultimate comfort.. with fries of course. and a coke.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Here's one of my favorite comfort foods, which I think of as Italian grits. It is easy to make, a good "make ahead" dish, and pairs up well with all kinds of things like wild mushroom fricasee, marinara sauce, or just topped with steamed veggies. Every cook that you have as a dinner guest will ask for this recipe. Enjoy.

Polenta Cake

1/2 cup polenta
2 cups milk (or half-and-half, if you're a healthy youngster)
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp. butter
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup cheese of choice (I like fontina or gorgonzola.)
Shaved or grated Regiano Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly butter a 9-in. tart or pie pan and sprinkle the bottom with a little of the uncooked polenta. In a saucepan over medium-high, heat the milk, salt, and butter to the boiling point. Pour in the entire 1/2 cup polenta and turn the heat down to medium, stirring constantly until the polenta thickens. (This will take less than five minutes.) Once thickened, turn the heat off and add the softer cheese and the nutmet. Stir well. Turn the mixture into the buttered pan, smooth the top with a spatula, then top with the Parmesan just before baking. Bake in the 400-degree oven for about 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Cut into wedges and serve with your meal.

This dish can be made a day ahead of time and then popped into the oven before your meal. It can also be carved into wedges which go onto your BBQ grill and is great as a side dish with roasted meats, chicken or fish. Serves 8.

dbuck

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
KY
Big bowl of chili with a pimento cheese sandwich,
Cheeseburger with everything on it and onion rings,
and last but not least,
Good fried chicken with cream potatos and gravy. YUM!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
donna - love this!! polenta is a wonderful comfort food. I like the pie recipe! I usually make polenta ahead of time, with butter and cheeses, let it sit in a casserole dish in the fridge overnight. then cut it into squares, add parm cheese to top, and bake, using this as a side or to top with something yummy. or even as an appetizer, cut into smaller pieces.

I'll try the pie!

dbuck

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
KY
I'm just tired of dining out (no veggies other than salads), and the weather has been so cool and rainy that we've just wanted to stay home. So I've been on a COMFORT FOOD COOKING EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!! I've cooked more meals in the past few days than I've cooked in the past month. I've made vegetable soup, baked chicken with steamed broccoli, filet mignon with baked taters, lean ground beef burgers with light wheat buns and a salad, Italian sausage and green peppers with pasta, and this morning cheese omelettes. YUM!

As an aside, I'm going to take a break this afternoon. Yesterday was the first time Mom has been lucid enough to carry on a conversation since February. She said she missed us. I said, "Mom, I just drove up and took you to the doctor on Tuesday." She said, "Even if I saw you every day, it wouldn't be enough. I love you." :love: We're going to take her out to dinner at Thai Spice in Peachtree City (love that restaurant -- great entrees under $10 with a white-tablecloth atmosphere and service) and (Mermy will like this) pick up a few items at Williams-Sonoma.:D

So, back on thread (I HIJACKED MY OWN THREAD! YESSSSS!) what are *your* favorite comfort foods, SoWallers?

BR, these are the moments (memories) that will help you get thru the hard times. :love:

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
This morning I had a big bowl of grits all to my self, of course.

What I REALLY want is a recipe for vodka pasta sauce. Anyone??

Thanks BR, for starting this thread. :clap_1:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
My idea of good comfort food, in no particular order. ;-) Big pot of pinto beans, served with buttermilk cornbread, fried taters with onions, fried okra, homemade fried corn, fried green tomatoes, my grandmas fried chicken, chicken fried steak and gravy, all the above served with fresh sliced home grown tomatoes, and a big hunk of vidallia onion. Mmm Mmm Good!!!!!!!! Gosh, I'm hungry now!!!!! At least I do have a roast in the oven and baby lima beans to look forward to in a little while. :D