• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

windrift

Beach Comber
Feb 27, 2007
Eastern Canada
I'm so glad those of you owners realize how much trouble the Spring Breakers are. My husband and I chose Destin and area for winter residence as we thought it would be quiet. The first year we stayed past March 15th and it was awful:shock: the rich parents rent these beautiful places for their children to party, places my husband and I wish we could afford to rent, they're beautiful. Wonder if these kids know how lucky they are. This past Spring there was a large article in the NWDailyNews quoting how retailers, restaurants etc were looking forward to the swarm..of breakers. We think it's so unfortunate, as we would like to stay on until the end of April and not go home to Canada till then, but because Spring Breakers will pay double the rent we have to move out.
This is great to here all ya' realize the problem of Spring Breakers. We will keep our fingers crossed someday Spring Breakers find this area "boring" and go somewhere else:D

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
This is great to here all ya' realize the problem of Spring Breakers. We will keep our fingers crossed someday Spring Breakers find this area "boring" and go somewhere else:D

IMO, I think Destin will become the "new Panama City Beach." PCB saw fit to mow down all the beachside party bars, trinket shops and tourist attractions and replace them with boring Condo Canyons and shopping malls. Destin, on the other hand has enough tourist attractions, bars and Thong-a-rama shops to catch the eye of the Spring Breakers; moreover, many of the folks who bought into the condo craze of '05 will be looking to juice their investment any way they can in order to cut their losses.

/

Last edited:

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
IMO, I think Destin will become the "new Panama City Beach." PCB saw fit to mow down all the beachside party bars, trinket shops and tourist attractions and replace them with boring Condo Canyons and shopping malls. Destin, on the other hand has enough tourist attractions, bars and Thong-a-rama shops to catch the eye of the Spring Breakers; moreover, many of the folks who bought into the condo craze of '05 will be looking to juice their investment any way they can in order to cut their losses.

/

I think it will help if Destin just says NO to "MTV Spring Break." That was just getting started in '89 at PCB when I was a senior in high school with club "Velveeta" at the center. The downslide may have started before then but nothing accelerates the stupidity of humanity like tv cameras and beer bongs.

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
I think letting parents know that the neighborhoods call the sheriff if there's any inkling that there are underage kids doing anything in any of the rentals that is illegal (alcohol, drugs, etc.) that you would encourage pressing charges. Parents who are responsible would love your sense of responsibility; parents who aren't will look elsewhere.

Maybe there should be a "neighborhood watch" in each community for spring breakers and unsupervised under 25-year-olds. The neighborhood watch could note if it looks like there are people under 25 without supervision, people under 25 drinking, etc. and call the sheriff, rental agency, etc.

It would be great if 30A were known to be unfriendly in general to spring break under 25 year olds. Those who behave will want to come here anyway, those that don't won't.

I could not agree more, Paula. PCB and Destin have more to offer Spring Breakers anyway.

The neighborhood watch program idea is great. How can we put it into action?

seaside2

Beach Fanatic
Apr 2, 2007
All over the place
We come to Sowal every year, some years several times. Being mature (Read=old), we don't mess up places. I am totally sympathetic with all of the owner's horror stories, having owned an apartment house when I was young and foolish.

Point: Sounds like a business opportunity for someone to open a rental agency that "Vets out" renters and has reasonable assurance that they are good renters. I don't know how really practical that is, but it may be worth a thought. The big deposit thig does work, by the way. I have used it and it has come in handy. I does have to be applied with some degree of consistency to avoid clams of descrimination.:bang:

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
This is a problem that seems to be getting better, but one that requires significant oversight by the management company to screen out losers. I continue to be amazed at parents who will rent a house with the understanding they must be there, then leave minors unsupervised with a huge stash of alcohol (that they often buy!). Then you see these people singing the blues on "Larry King Live" when there is a tragedy. Give me a break. My management company has been all over this in the past couple of years, I'm sure for fear of losing listings for rentals.

Fortunately, this has happened only twice in five years at my house. In one instance, I had all the disgusting evidence sent via special delivery mail to the parents. The parents were horrified and took appropriate action, including going to the college administration to identify kids other than theirs. And they paid for the extra cleanup and minor damage. The other offenders were arrogant to the end, claiming that their angels could not possibly have behaved badly, this in spite of the obvious evidence to the contrary. They will be future guests of Larry King, I guess.

Here's what to look out for...last-minute bookings during spring break periods. Contact person phone numbers that are cell phones. Deposits made by other than a credit card. Late check-ins where keys have to be left out rather than claimed by an adult at the management company. We have the management group send a letter requiring the guests to report how many adults, how many underage kids (and what ages) prior to arrival. Not fool-proof but gives you an idea of who you are dealing with. Refuse them entry without the form returned and check out handwriting.

At the far end of the spectrum, remember that it is still illegal for minors to consume alcohol in your property because it is not their private residence. In fact, a rental residence is considered a commercial property. You always have the option of going in there with a Sheriff's Deputy and arresting every underage person in your house. In fact, you will see how fast those parents burn up Hwy. 331 to get down there and bail out their babies if you do such a thing. Extreme? Maybe. So is having some kid end up in a wheelchair for life, with you paying, because they decided to dive off your third-floor deck into a 9-ft. swimming pool, fueled with too many Buds or Margaritas. Call me cold or call me wise, but I am done with irresponsible parents and sorry kids.

WLD

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
ATL
Sorry to hear about this.

You could double or triple the security deposit for Spring Break season and/or for groups of kids.

Also, if your HOA or community doesn't have it--consider hiring a security company or officer and authorize them be very proactive. Several communities/subdivisions could do this together to make it more affordable. It also deters break-ins when houses stand empty.

And another idea if you manage rentals. Years ago, we rented from a private owner in Seaside who required that her cleaning lady come in DAILY. If you wanted to rent the place, you had to pay for this, no exceptions. The cleaning lady didn't do much--just swept up and tidied the kitchen. I am sure she was there to be sure guests weren't trashing the place. These owners now have a mini-empire of vacation rental homes in luxury resorts up and down the east coast. Their rental contracts still require the daily visit.

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
WLD,

Good ideas. Off duty police officers, deputies, and firemen are usually open to some security work on their days off.

Raising the security deposit would probably not be enough. I have heard of damage occuring in the ten's of thousands of dollars. Additionally, I have heard of one that exceeded one hundred thousand dollars a couple years ago in Paradise By the Sea.

Last edited:

spinDrAtl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
As far as I know, we have never had a problem except for minor damage from your regular type summer vacation renters. Our snowbirds stay until March 15 and we usually have family type rentals in the late March/early April spring break periods. However, all our rental agreements and those from the management company state that excessive noise, excessive guests, etc. are grounds for being evicted with no notice and no refunds. I have been at my condo and seen/heard a bit of loud partying going on in another unit where it appeared the parents maybe turned it over to the college kids for a weekend. It was not extreme enough where I considered calling anyone though.

A couple other points: In Georgia, intentional damage in excess of $500 is a FELONY. It's called criminal damage to property. I would have no problem calling police and having an entire group arrested if some of the things I have read here happened. Throw in the probable underage drinking and drug violations and it's time for them to spend a night in jail waiting for their parents.

Letters demanding restitution, letters to the editor, and letters to management companies are also very good ideas.

Last edited:

jensieblue

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
on a lake in the woods
Would having a policy that whenever you know adolescents will be in the rental property to tell the alleged parents that you will be conducting site checks during their stay to monitor the condition of your property help? It is unbelievable to me that you would have no recourse. This kind of behavior disrupts the whole area. I guess since all other house are occupied by renters, people don't call the police or they call and police ignore. I would thik small claims court would be worth a try. I read somewhere that many small claims court cases are settled out of court because people don't want the expense of loosing a day off work to appear. If the parents of this renter are employed that would be a factor with the additional expense of driving down from Montgomery. I hope you have some pictures of the condition. The letter to the local paper editorial page is excellent..So sorry and good luck.....