• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Beachrunner, I am in awe of your hubbie's acumen with the Blackberry. Heck, I cannot key in my own telephone number in reading glasses and standing stock still. Yes, there is madness out there and you ain't seen nuthin' until you drive in CA. Once was, a person had to be a skilled driver or they were road pizza there. More than once, I have seen people watching a DVD movie on their laptop while driving on the freeway :eek: !!

Be careful out there, boomers.

Beachrunner, I am in awe of your hubbie's acumen with the Blackberry. Heck, I cannot key in my own telephone number in reading glasses and standing stock still. Yes, there is madness out there and you ain't seen nuthin' until you drive in CA. Once was, a person had to be a skilled driver or they were road pizza there. More than once, I have seen people watching a DVD movie on their laptop while driving on the freeway :eek: !!

Be careful out there, boomers.
Yikes! Actually my daughter's high school boyfriend had a vehicle with an illegal DVD player in the front dashboard. Scary!

My husband does scare me when he runs off the road while checking his email.:eek: Thankfully, he's never pulled out his laptop while driving.

Wish you could be at the "partay" on Saturday night, gull!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Seems like I recently read that cell phones usage by automobile drivers has surpassed drunk driving as the number one reason for crashes.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
On Sunday, there was a fatal accident on 98 just past the west end of 30-A. :bang: Mr OM and partner in crime saw it right after it happened as they were driving to SeaBar. The kids and I were walking in front of Butler Elem. when a mom and 2 boys came out and sat down on bike path waiting for a ride because cops weren't letting people out of Sugar Drve. She had to get to work and had to resort to alternative methods!:shock:

She said the driving was about 20 and all torn up. Mr. OM said that the back tire of the motorcycle (the man who died) was embedded in the car and that his body was twisted all up.... I can't even talk or type about it much because it turns my stomach. In a flash, a life was gone and who really knows why? Who did this person leave behind? A wife, kids, grandkids, mom and dad, brothers & sisters?

I used to be fairly reckless driving. I was also completely irresponsible in other ways. Then I became a mom and the realisation that I am responsible for 3 lives brought me back to my senses. If we would all realise that we are each connected to each other and need to respect LIFE, we'd all be a bit more careful.

And if you don't want to look at the connectivity level any more than we all share the same road, then please slow down, be freaking patient and pay attention. You might be saving someone else's life or your own.

I've seen locals fly by me. I've seen other SoWallers almost kill themselves to get ahead and cut me &/or others off. Why? What would happen if one of your loved ones was injured or killed by a reckless driver? How would you feel?

Sunday disturbed the heck outta me. I'm there.... walking with my babies coming home from a beautiful day at the beach, going to get ready to hear Mr. OM sing at the SeaBar, only to know that a life was stoopidly ended just a little distance away on a road that we drive daily.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Seems like I recently read that cell phones usage by automobile drivers has surpassed drunk driving as the number one reason for crashes.

Day before yesterday 3 teens from my little town were all thrown from a convertible vehicle because the 16 year old driver was trying to text on her cell while driving. None of them were wearing seat belts. Thankfully, they were all treated at the hospital and released. It could have been much worse. Be careful out there!!!

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think a number of large metro areas have laws fobidding use of a cell phone in a moving vehicle. I think it's a great law and should be enacted nationwide.