• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
It's a hike to the beach from there, but the Mossy Head area might work. It's a little bit rednecky, but lots of 5-10 acre parcels of residential land, some commercial/industrial zoned areas since they're close to an I-10 interchange.

Also probably a little bit easier to find good employees at lower wages than you would closer to the beach. Lots of people that live north of I-10 and work down by the beach would love to find a nice job closer to home so they didn't have to commute 2+ hours every day.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
As I mentioned in an earlier post, DR Horton is wanting to move these products prior to completing their new lower priced, different style houses which are under construction. I understand that they will be ditching the formica counter tops, vinyl flooring in bathrooms, and cheap looking fiber glass tubs, none of which are selling $420,000 houses. Their newer product will be one story (saving more costs) and probably be more nicely appointed, and priced at a similar price as these reduced prices.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
In other words...Flipper Houses.

I like formica counter tops, vinyl bathroom floors and decent (these aren't all decent) fiberglass showers, but not when I'm paying $420K for a new house in Hammock Bay right now.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I like formica counter tops, vinyl bathroom floors and decent (these aren't all decent) fiberglass showers, but not when I'm paying $420K for a new house in Hammock Bay right now.

Apparently DR Horton hit a wall when it came time to put in the fixtures and went on the cheap just to get them finished and out on the lot.

420K is SS & GCT territory.

Last edited:

FLSunChaser

Beach Lover
Apr 26, 2006
Seriously folks no one is swarming for deals in Freeport are they?

Not on these DR Horton houses. Seriously, my husband and I thought Hammock Bay sounded so nice (I think in the future it will be), and then we drove through there and couldn't get out of there fast enough after seeing some of the crap DR-H is building in there. There should really be a little bit for ARB control.
I've been in other Dr-H houses and they are okay, but I just really think they went WAY on the cheap in Hammock Bay and it shows.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Fortunately, I think most of DR Horton's lots/homes are all in one neighborhood in Hammock Bay.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
The Turner Heritage model seemed pretty nice, with reasonably good materials. Unfortunately, Jay Odom's heart is in the right place, but his sense of taste runs to Cheez Whiz, and the cheesiness does seem to be in force in Hammock Bay.

As for the lack of people swarming to Freeport, prices are still too high for service industry folks working in SoWal. The white collar employees can find housing elsewhere (closer to their jobs) for similar prices. I'd hate to have to commute from Freeport to Destin or Panama City every day. You're a hike from the beach, and there just isn't really any reason to live in Freeport right now unless you own of the bay or bayou, work at the shipyard or are a service industry worker who bought pre-boom.