• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WlzMom

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2006
Valdosta, GA
www.mccallinc.com
on a somewhat related note, check out http://www.freecycle.org/groups/ussouthern/#Florida. It's a free listing service where you can offer things you no longer want/need for others to take. It keeps things from unnecessarily ending up in landfills. I'm a member of our group up here in Georgia.

For example, we are renovating a building for a new office. We saved the existing fiberglass insulation batting but we may end up with extra. If we can't use it, I'm going to offer it up to the first taker. No point in throwing it away.

My point is that if you might be able to encourage people to use this service with construction materials instead of just dumping them. It's certainly not as fast to demolish by hand (to preserve the materials) as it is to do it with a bulldozer, but it's certainly better for the environment.:D

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
i've lived in high density cities most of my life. doesn't bother me at all.
but there has to be an actual city with actual city infrastructure.

density is fine if there's something to walk to besides other people's houses. can you walk to the grocery store in seaside or rosemary or alys? can you walk to the doctor's office? the dry cleaners? the bank? the library?

no..you need your car. that's why people are complaining about the lack of infrastructure for cars. you can't just SAY it's a "new urban" pedestrian town. it has to actually BE one.
doctor's office -- Dr Varnadoor was in Seaside for a while before recently moving to another location
dry cleaners -- who needs a dry cleaners when your wardrobe is a swimsuit, tee shirt and sandals?
bank -- ATM next door to Opus
library -- no, but there is a bookstore and you can read for free while you are in the store.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
precisely, which is why people require cars and why they are frustrated by lack of parking.
explain to me, the need to walk to a doctor for your week at the beach. Why would you even bring clothes that need to be dry cleaned. Have you ever heard of cotton? A bank in the middle of the neighborhood????Didn't you bring cash and a debit card with you? What are you planning to do, buy a car for the week? With a great store like Sundog, how could you possibly need a library for your short stay at the beach. Hint...buy a new book, read it, and share it with friends/family or donate it at the local library when you return home. Tell me next that there's no good Chinese restaurant on Tupelo Street. My God, you mean I have to drive to get my nails done?? sorrySJ, I did not read your post,sorry for duplicate mind ramblings.

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I believe 'way back when Seaside was dreamed up it was to be a real community where people lived all the time...that is quite different from what it actually is.

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
i've lived in high density cities most of my life. doesn't bother me at all.
but there has to be an actual city with actual city infrastructure.

density is fine if there's something to walk to besides other people's houses. can you walk to the grocery store in seaside or rosemary or alys? can you walk to the doctor's office? the dry cleaners? the bank? the library?

no..you need your car. that's why people are complaining about the lack of infrastructure for cars. you can't just SAY it's a "new urban" pedestrian town. it has to actually BE one.

Uh huh.

So it's urban density ala Manhattan, or nothing?

And any developer who attempts a pedestrian friendly town and makes a good effort at showing a direction in urban planning that goes against the destructive trend of sprawl -is merely acting out of selfish interests and wrapping his real motive in an environmentally friendly cover?

Pretty cynical there, mf.

Again, if these places are so lacking in your needs why do you go there? Why does anyone go there if they are so inconvenient? There are sprawling subdivisions and malls all across America to keep you happy.

Plus Seaside is only what, 20 some odd years old, Rosemary 10, and Alys 2. I wasn't aware that we expect these places to be fully developed overnight.

Camellia

Beach Fanatic
Nov 26, 2004
Regarding the original issue of this thread, which was the destruction of the kiosks which formerly housed small retail shops around Quincy Circle, stay tuned for a thorough investigation and explanation in the next issue of the Seaside Times, coming out in early June. For a video graphic of the kiosk's
demise, look at YouTube (sorry, haven't figured out how to link it yet).

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngUmLC4Tkxc"]YouTube - the ungreening of Seaside[/ame] you go.

I checked it again yesterday, and it is all nice and pretty over there.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
This morning while walking through the back part of Seaside, I saw that someone has torn down a house. Does anybody know why? Or did somebody buy it for the lot and tear down a perfectly good house to make way for a brand spanking new one?:dunno: