• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

VLF

Beach Crab
Apr 24, 2007
Ohio
Hi - this is my first post on this board - hello to you all.

I am looking to move to Panama City soon. I have been looking at property (lots of property) and when I came across St Andrews area... I did a double take. Now mind you... I have NEVER set foot in the Panama City area. So I must go on what I find on the internet.:dunno:

Here is my question/request;

If you were ask you to explain something which one has never seen, can u explain St Andrews to me??
Please no need to be brief please go on and on... if you like. I would love to hear more about this place good and bad.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
:welcome:

It's cool but I have no idea what it would be like to live there. The waterfront area is neat with an active marina and several good restaurants. It's not trendy yet but the real thing. Anywhere in PC proper at times has an aroma of paper mill if the wind is wrong.

You might try the PC tripsmarter forum.

VLF

Beach Crab
Apr 24, 2007
Ohio
Hi Kurt what is Tripsmarter do u have a link? And you mean a factory that makes paper - where is that located? in St. Andrews or near by?
Lyn

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Hi Kurt what is Tripsmarter do u have a link? And you mean a factory that makes paper - where is that located? in St. Andrews or near by?
Lyn

Here's the link - [ame="http://www.tripsmarter.com/travelcommunity/forumdisplay.php?f=40"]PCB-General Discussion - TripSmarter.Com Travel Forums[/ame]
- it's mostly about PC Beach but they can probably help you out.

There is a paper mill on the bay on the other side of town from St. Andrews.

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
I grew up in St. Andrews. I'm not sure when it was founded, but it was a target during the Civil War because of the local salt works. It has mostly older modest homes. People are starting to fix up some of them. I'm pleased that a circa 1920's bayfront home is being refurbished rather than torn down and replaced with a McMansion. It will probably be listed soon. Prices are still relatively low, especially when compared to Walton County.

They've recently built hideous, albeit expensive, condos at the south end of Beck Avenue which will no doubt contribute to the gentrification of the area. At least they denied the original requested height, which I believe was about 20 stories. There's nothing else over two stories in the area.

The old Shrimp Boat restaurant is being rebuilt and it looks like the old Breakers Nightclub site will be built on. It's been vacant for about 15 years despite its bayfront location. Local legend Hunt's Oyster Bar is in a new building. Captain's Table is a good option for seafood. Uncle Ernie's has a nice location and gourmet aspirations, but I've found it to be inconsistent and over-priced. Go there to have a drink on the deck. I've not been to the Granite Restaurant but have heard good things about it.

As far as the paper mill, the smell is rarely apparent today compared to the 60's and 70's. You know it's going to rain if you smell it. Speaking of the mill, the area called Millville is also being redeveloped. It's an area of even more modest homes which housed a lot of the millworkers. It's home to Gene's Oyster Bar and Magnolia's, both of which I highly recommend.

Last edited:

VLF

Beach Crab
Apr 24, 2007
Ohio
Do they have any restrictions on planting plam trees or anything like this in St Andrews? I am asking because in Freeport this is a restriction I was told.

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
There are no restrictions that I'm aware of. They do have restrictions on cutting down trees with trunks greater than 6 inches in diameter. There are lots of sabal palms, magnolias, huge live oaks with Spanish Moss and pine trees in the area which do well because they are native. The sabal palm is also the state tree and often called a cabbage palm. The heart is used to make swamp cabbage salad.

You can access Bay County Planning and Zoning for lists of recommended native plants. http://www.co.bay.fl.us/bcds/planning/divover.html

Last edited: