• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Re: New Fire in SoWal -- Sommerset Beach - Seagrove

Thanks to SJ and the whole sowal family for the updates. I can't imagine not having sowal.com to know what is happening on 30A. Let's all pray for those who sustained loss and pray for some much needed rain.
I appreciate the praise, but I was not on the scene. I was just reporting what I heard first hand from Abe Drinkin'. I will try to get over there in the morning for a little report on damaged properities. If you want to thank someone, write a note to the SWFD and thank those brave women and men who put their lives on the line for us, every day. They might not do much during the average day, but they mean the world to us when it counts.

Beachmom

Beach Fanatic
Sep 7, 2006
Grayton Beach!

Just went outside, smells so smokey. Is everything out-:dunno: ?? I'm kind of scared to go to bed:eek: So sorry to everyone who has lost.....

Those firemen are incredible!! A big thank you there!!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

One house destroyed in Somerset Bridge.
The house in this picture appears to be 332 Somerset bridge road, and belongs to some people in Loveland, OH.
attachment.php

420772_124510.jpg

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

I know that most of the homes which were burned or damaged were second homes, but if anyone is displaced and needs a place to stay, please send me a private message, and I will hook you up with a place to stay, or do my damnest trying to find you a place to hang your hat for a while.

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005

A worker in a store on the south side of 30A across the street from the Trustmark Bank and Angelinas said they first noticed the fire when they heard flying ash pelting their windows.

Houses at the end of Ellis street had flames up to their back yards.

Fire reached a yard of a house just 2 blocks away from Cafe 30A. It melted a vinyl fence along side the dwelling before it was extinguished.

The below picture is of one of two homes destroyed in The Bungalows of Seagrove. It is tilted over because the pilings burned out from under it.

Just after this pictures was taken flames erupted again in the woods to the left.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Thanks for the report, Hi and Dry. That house in your attachment looks like 114 Somerset Bridge Rd. I have a some business to attend to tomorrow, for most of the day, but I will try to make a run over there first thing tomorrow to take some photos and update everyone with a report and photo overview. Please don't let that stop anyone else who cares to post their reports.

If 114 and 118 Somerset, both were destroyed/damaged from the fire, as I guess from the visuals seen in the first hand reports (my guess from looking at the photos), my guess is that 116 probably also suffered substantial damage.

Last edited:

lindatat

quirty
Jul 14, 2005
Too far from the beach (Chicago 'Burbs)

I have been reading all of this and am just beside myself. My thoughts and prayers to all affected by these fires and I hope & pray for rain.

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005

Below was the other house destroyed in The Bungalows of Seagrove.

There maybe more damaged buildings in the Bungalows but it this is all that could be seen because the far east end of the complex was closed off by EMS and Fire vehicle activity.

At 8 PM the SW firefighters and the Forestry Service were still watering everything down and I assume some will be there all night.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005

I could have sworn I smelled smoke again this morning. I am hoping it was just my imagination.

I would like to personally thank all the fine folks that kept us updated on the fire yesterday. I can tell you that everyone I spoke with in Publix and Movies by the Sea had a different spin on what was happening. From abe drinkin reporting on the spot and bb posting factual info from the fire dept., it certainly helped calm some nerves. SoWal.com is certainly the place for breaking news. As a non resident Walton Co. tax payer, I am awed and pleased by the cooperation of so many fire departments working together. Thank you for keeping us safe. :clap_1:

So sorry for those who lost their homes.:sosad:
Thanks to the fire department for preventing even more damage. :love:
Thanks to everyone who called me or pm'ed me to reassure me or offer to check on my house.:love:
Thanks to the people who checked on my house.:love:
Thanks for this message board for the valuable information it provides, as well as friendships and entertainment.:love:

Unfortunately, like my husband said, it's not over -- until we get a good rain, the area is still at risk of more fires.:eek: