• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Personally, I don't see road bikes on 30A as the problem around here. The people who don't regularly ride bicylces, but get on them for easy transport to the beach, on their once a year trip to SoWal, are a huge problem. Driving through WaterColor, I've often seen kids under 10 yrs of age, riding down both lanes of the road, all going in the same direction. Their helmets are usually loosely fitted, hanging on the side of their head. The "adults" are just as bad, though there are always exceptions to the rule.

I think that even for a regular cyclists, visiting the area, the rules are confusing. I've never lived in another town where riding bikes on the sidewalk was legal, and often you will see signs posted alerting people, "no bikes allowed on sidewalk." That rule is for the safety of the public. Here in SoWal, the mulit-purpose path (technically, it is not a bike path) crosses 30A in several places, and the cyclist by law, is to dismount the bicycle and cross. When traveling through Seaside, on 30A, the bike path disappears into a sidewalk. That is a huge problem in my opinion, and I don't know why Seaside has been allowed to not extend the multi-purpose path. For those regular riders from other areas, it can be very confusing.

Again, I don't think that the road cyclists are the problem, but there are plenty of problems that I have with the majority of people on bicycles around here -- the biggest problem is that they don't know, and don't follow the rules. Rather than wanting to run them over, I just breathe deeply and remember that I am at the beach, and making it to an appointment on time, might mean leaving a little bit earlier, rather than running over a person.

I encourage everyone to breathe deeply and focus on driving while you are on 30A. Let's remember some basics, no matter if we are in our car or on our bikes, like stopping for people waiting to cross the busy 30A. Let's give people the benefit of the doubt, and realize that they are trying to be on vacation and trying to keep up with little johnny and little suzie who have just darted across the street on their tiny bicyles, against their parents' wishes. The taking of one's life is serious, and no appointment is worth that time which you might spend in jail. About two years ago, a customer of mine, while driving his truck on 30A, killed a man on a bicycle, who darted out in front of his truck, and let's just say that his life is forever changed.

Slow down, breathe deeply when getting stressed, and remember that the life you save might be someone you know or love.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Will this work on the bike path? Tires big enough? People could see you coming, and one can enjoy the views. I suspect it doesn't go very fast.

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
Bikers have the same right to use the roads as cars do. Get used to it. give them space. Plus road bikes really aren't good on the bike path due to the large amount of glass and rocks on the path. You're at the beach.... slow down your drivin to fast anyhow.

Slow down -you're riding your bike too fast; get on the bike path, relax and enjoy the scenery.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
A majority of 30A isn't a 25mph zone, but 35 or 45 mph. And a bicyclist shouldn't be going 20mph thru Seaside anyways due to the pedestrians.

What about Hwy 83, 283, or 395?

(Whew, glad I got away with the Sapndex jabs btw):funn:
When I am riding on 283 and 395, I typically jump on the multi-purpose path, because they are new and for the most part, fairly smooth.

I also have a problem with people who don't know how to politely pass a bicyclist. Maybe they are the ones we should target. :dunno:

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
When I am riding on 283 and 395, I typically jump on the multi-purpose path, because they are new and for the most part, fairly smooth.

I also have a problem with people who don't know how to politely pass a bicyclist. Maybe they are the ones we should target. :dunno:

Just swing the door open. 10 points
Swing the door open and send an email at the same time. 40 points

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
Personally, I don't see road bikes on 30A as the problem around here. The people who don't regularly ride bicylces, but get on them for easy transport to the beach, on their once a year trip to SoWal, are a huge problem. Driving through WaterColor, I've often seen kids under 10 yrs of age, riding down both lanes of the road, all going in the same direction. Their helmets are usually loosely fitted, hanging on the side of their head. The "adults" are just as bad, though there are always exceptions to the rule.

I think that even for a regular cyclists, visiting the area, the rules are confusing. I've never lived in another town where riding bikes on the sidewalk was legal, and often you will see signs posted alerting people, "no bikes allowed on sidewalk." That rule is for the safety of the public. Here in SoWal, the mulit-purpose path (technically, it is not a bike path) crosses 30A in several places, and the cyclist by law, is to dismount the bicycle and cross. When traveling through Seaside, on 30A, the bike path disappears into a sidewalk. That is a huge problem in my opinion, and I don't know why Seaside has been allowed to not extend the multi-purpose path. For those regular riders from other areas, it can be very confusing.

Again, I don't think that the road cyclists are the problem, but there are plenty of problems that I have with the majority of people on bicycles around here -- the biggest problem is that they don't know, and don't follow the rules. Rather than wanting to run them over, I just breathe deeply and remember that I am at the beach, and making it to an appointment on time, might mean leaving a little bit earlier, rather than running over a person.

I encourage everyone to breathe deeply and focus on driving while you are on 30A. Let's remember some basics, no matter if we are in our car or on our bikes, like stopping for people waiting to cross the busy 30A. Let's give people the benefit of the doubt, and realize that they are trying to be on vacation and trying to keep up with little johnny and little suzie who have just darted across the street on their tiny bicyles, against their parents' wishes. The taking of one's life is serious, and no appointment is worth that time which you might spend in jail. About two years ago, a customer of mine, while driving his truck on 30A, killed a man on a bicycle, who darted out in front of his truck, and let's just say that his life is forever changed.

Slow down, breathe deeply when getting stressed, and remember that the life you save might be someone you know or love.

spot on

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Isn't that an intersting fact though?

Atlanta is a different story all together. :roll:
I don't know that most people who are sky diving, feel that stress the first time. My first time jumping was with about 9 other friends and maybe one was a little stressed after an accident on the jump just before her's.

pennstater

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
NJ/Inlet Beach
It is legal for bicycles to be on the 30A roadway. No more really needs to be said.

However:

We should all be considerate of others when using the public highways whether we drive, pedal or walk. It seems hard to find common courtesy any more.

Getting behind the wheel of 2+ tons of steel with an attitude that the rode belongs to you is a recipe for disaster.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I'm with Uncle Timmy- the serious Lance-spandex-wearing-and team-shirt types need to stay off the bike path. I had one FLY past me yesterday and even if he had given a shout, he would have been past me by the time I heard it. And I would have been dead with one misstep. Way to freaking fast for a path used by walkers, strollers, rollerbladers, and families.

While we are on the subject, can someone please explain to me why riders wear the tight logo spandex shirts when they are clearly NOT on some sort of bike team? I love seeing these- especially on people that look like they went out and bought all the "right" clothes for an occasional bike ride.:rotfl:

6thGen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
A few things - my side mirror is about helmet high, and according to Harry Hogge, "Rubbin's racin."

Beemn, bikes are worse for the environment than SUVs, cars and trucks.

And to add to jdarg's question - why do grown people on the beach cruisers wear helmets?