• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

pokey

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2005
I would like to surprise my parents (in their 70's) with a 3 night stay in South Walton. What I would like is the Watercolor Inn without the watercolor price tag!

I am looking for 3 nights in June, no particular date. I do want gulf front so that they can be on the beach. I would also need a pool. As this is a special gift, I want this to be a peaceful stay meaning not 1000 kids. I realize June is the summer so I am sure Watercolor will be wall to wall kids at the pool. Did I hear one pool has been made adults only?

I looked into the gulf front one bedroom units at Seaside, but with a special I got at Watercolor, Watercolor is a better deal. I just hate the way Watercolor nickel and dimes you to death. There is a $25 a day resort fee that you must pay; if you must pay, why not include it in the room rate? I have heard people say the bikes that are included in that $25 are usually not available, of course I don't think my parents will be bike riding. As a matter of fact, the only thing they will use from the resort fees are the towels. You have to pay for beach chairs, they are not included.

Any idea for other places to stay? Are there any gulf front condos that would rent for 3 nights in the summer? I would prefer closer to Seaside, but I am willing to look at other areas. They have never been to South Walton so I want this to be special. They usually go to Hilton Head, but haven't been in years.

From past experience I've found that:
(a) it's hard to get a three-night rental in the summer with your specs,
(b) no way you can have a community pool without a bunch of kids and the risk of it being closed because of baby poo, and
(c) June and July represent most of the rentals in SoWal, so owners must charge a premium.

I admire you for what you're trying to do for your parents, but could you give them a raincheck for later in the season? Even August would be so much cheaper and more peaceful due to the fact that most school systems start back in early August.

The only place we could get a short-term rental in SoWal in the summer when we were building our home was The Pensione at Rosemary. It's priced reasonably. I'm not sure if staying there gives one use of the Rosemary Beach pools.

Good luck. BTW we went to Hilton Head for many years. The first time we sat foot on SoWal, we never went back to Hilton Head. No comparison. Except for one thing -- I miss sailing out of Harbour Town on a bareboat 36' Cheoy Lee. Can't do that in SoWal.

pokey

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2005
I would like to give them this vacation in June as we have an out of town wedding in late July. August would be really hot for them, and of course I worry about the threat of tropical storms!

As we always rent homes on Seagrove I have never paid attention to the condo units. Can someone tell me which complexes are the nicest as far as the units and pool area? I might be able to find a buy owner for 3 nights, but I don't know which units to look at.

I would like to give them this vacation in June as we have an out of town wedding in late July. August would be really hot for them, and of course I worry about the threat of tropical storms!

As we always rent homes on Seagrove I have never paid attention to the condo units. Can someone tell me which complexes are the nicest as far as the units and pool area? I might be able to find a buy owner for 3 nights, but I don't know which units to look at.
The people I know in our town who have money (but don't want the extra cost of owning at new/trendy Watercolor-type places or having the hassle of maintaining private homes) own at One Seagrove Place.

Honey, even July isn't safe. Our mega-bucks, artist-designed, dead-head cypress beach walkover got blown away in an early-July hurricane. And there's no difference between heat in July and August http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/32459?from=36hr_bottomnav_undeclared.

Last edited:

pokey

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2005
I know July and August are hot, that is why I am try to find something early June. As far as the storms, I also no that no time is totally safe, but I am "hoping" June will be better than later summer.

I will look into One Seagrove Place; I actual started to look for units there earlier, but didn't get to it. What about Bridges at Watersound?

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Pokey, you may want to consider October in Sowal especially around the first week. You'll have your choice of anything you want, the temperature is extremely comfortable, and the butterflies migrate through and its spectacular.

Favorite time of the year for many people and the children are all in school then so they would have the pool to themselves too.

If I were doing this for a member of my family who could travel anytime, it would be October without a doubt. ;-)

dunelover

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma girl
www.thebeamstore.com
Just an fyi, some places have a hurricane policy (money back if warning in the county). We always come in august, lower crowds, less traffic, much better rates. Even later would still be great---middle september was great one year for us.

Good luck--thats a great gift.

pokey

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2005
Another question concerning Watercolor Inn-any idea if the steps to the gulf are as steep as others, ie Seaside? My father has no problems walking, but I do worry about him handling steeps steps in the heat. Also, is there a pool right outside the Inn or do you have to go to the Beach Club which looks like it might be a short walk. I guess I am looking for them to roll out of bed and be by the pool and the sand like they can do at a condo in Hilton Head. I just think they would love Seagrove/Seaside/Watercolor and want them to see the area.

If I were a really good daughter, I would let them come with us for a week, but this year I was outnumbered by my husband and kids and we are returning to Hilton Head after a 5 year absences. Plus our favorite house was booked the only week of the summer we could go!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Another question concerning Watercolor Inn-any idea if the steps to the gulf are as steep as others, ie Seaside? My father has no problems walking, but I do worry about him handling steeps steps in the heat. Also, is there a pool right outside the Inn or do you have to go to the Beach Club which looks like it might be a short walk. I guess I am looking for them to roll out of bed and be by the pool and the sand like they can do at a condo in Hilton Head. I just think they would love Seagrove/Seaside/Watercolor and want them to see the area.

If I were a really good daughter, I would let them come with us for a week, but this year I was outnumbered by my husband and kids and we are returning to Hilton Head after a 5 year absences. Plus our favorite house was booked the only week of the summer we could go!

The steps are steep to the beach.

There is an adult only pool right off the lobby of WC Inn.

They are trying to have bikes located at the rentals and Inn for guests.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton

I believe the steps in Watercolor down to the beach are similar to Seaside's, at least in number. There is a pool right outside the Inn. The beach club pool is right next door and is great.

Last weekend I happened to go into Adagio in Blue Mountain Beach. I was pleasantly surprised by the complex. 2 pools - 1 beachfront and one large impressive pool in the middle of the units. Some of the units are beachfront. Their location on 30A isn't as nice as Watercolor/Seaside/Seagrove if you're a visitor (not as much within walking/biking distance), but it's a nice condo complex and is new.