• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
In today's paper:

SEAGROVE BEACH ? The Florida Division of Forestry has concluded that a brush fire that burned in the area May 8 was started accidentally.
Officials cannot determine just how the fire started, but it does not appear to be arson, said forestry spokesman Bob Rhea.
It is believed that the fire was started accidentally by someone, but that is all investigators can conclude, Rhea said.
The fire scorched seven acres, destroyed three homes and damaged several others near Somerset Bridge Road.

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
There was another fire in Wild Heron last night (Friday), too. Driving in from Atlanta, we smelled smoke on Back Beach and saw a couple of fire trucks at the entrance to the complex. Don't know how bad this one was, though.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Smoke smell is over powering in the Crystal Beach area in Destin. You can almost taste it. Anyone else?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Smoke is not from here, say officials

May 24, 2007
By Gwen Break
gwen_break@link.freedom.com The South Walton Fire District issued a press release early May 24 advising residents that the heavy smoke in the area was from a fire approximately 250 miles to the east.
The press release was issued after 911 received numerous calls for smoke investigations.
The smoke is from fires burning in the Lake City area and is being delivered to the panhandle by an easterly wind.
While SWFD is urging residents to not panic over the blanket of smoke, they said residents should continue to be vigilant in their fire prevention efforts.
?The relative humidity is still in the low 30s during the day with a very small chance of rain expected. These continued dry conditions maintain a high threat of wildland fires for our area,? said SWFD Deputy Fire Chief Sean Hughes.
The Walton County Board of County Commissioners issued an emergency ordinance banning all open burning without a permit on May 22. State officials had issued a statewide ban earlier this month.

I see on weather dot com that the threat of fire along 30-A is again a possibility with the low humidity and high winds. Will those of you who live down there full time keep those of us who aren't there full time informed? We can be there in a few hours to spray down our property and then assist others with theirs.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I see on weather dot com that the threat of fire along 30-A is again a possibility with the low humidity and high winds. Will those of you who live down there full time keep those of us who aren't there full time informed? We can be there in a few hours to spray down our property and then assist others with theirs.

I think most of us that live here would be happy to house things down for you. Probably the fewer people running around the better in an emergency.:trainwreck:

Otherwise we'll:

:chill:

Can you tell I'm excited about getting my smilies working again?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Chill BR. Don't borrow trouble. I hadn't even heard of this, but did check the weather and saw the warning. It is plenty humid out right now...about 75%.