• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

McKellar

Beach Comber
Jun 1, 2006
College Station
Remember when there was lots of green space in Seaside?:sosad: My kids used to play in the little parks all around the Seaside. I first started coming in 92. I remember reading about the masterplan for seaside and how there would always be controls to insure the "just sitting on the porch" mentality. I guess the almighty dollar trumped that ideology. BTW, I know that all the growth is good for the local merchants, but how do the locals feel about the incredible amount of construction that is taking place on 30A? I can remember driving across 30A to Seaside and there was nothing until you came up the hill and around the bend. I always expected to see St. Peter standing next to the population sign that proclaimed the 256 or so people, dogs and cats that lived there. I say I expected to see St. Peter because I knew I was arriving in Heaven. So glad to hear you got a sprinkle. I coming in two weeks and history says it will rain some more while I'm there.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
As one who was born in the area and spent summers at the beach, usually in Grayton, my heart hurts at what has happened to "our" beach...I try not to think of it too much, and do everything I can to preserve what's left.:sosad:

We got some rain tonite, so that is good.

DuneDog

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
We met with Cindy Meadows and Parks and Recreation last week and things are moving ahead. The county is working on a layout for the new 10 acres at Helen McCall. They are trying to figure out how to fit the playground and football/soccer fields on the land. The next meeting with them is June 7th. Before that meeting, I think it would be a good idea for us to all meet up at the playground site and do some thinking and visualizing about how we'd like to see things laid out. There are a lot of nice trees on the part of the 10 acres that will be used for the playground. How about if we all meet at Helen McCall on Monday the 21st at 10am? Everyone that has an opinion is welcome to give one!

That is a whole lot fit on a property that is approximately 360' wide by 1300''. A buffer space is likely to be required on both east/west sides as well. Practically speaking you must consider how much land will be chewed up by access dirves and drainage requirements. Most importantly has anyone even considered the how much space will be required for parking requirements? Currently some people feel it is acceptable to park on the private property next door when ball games and practices are being played across the street. You will also need handicapped access and public restrooms. Maybe some of that can be placed on the east side of Moll Dr.? There are a lot of considerations.....

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
That is a whole lot fit on a property that is approximately 360' wide by 1300''. A buffer space is likely to be required on both east/west sides as well. Practically speaking you must consider how much land will be chewed up by access dirves and drainage requirements. Most importantly has anyone even considered the how much space will be required for parking requirements? Currently some people feel it is acceptable to park on the private property next door when ball games and practices are being played across the street. You will also need handicapped access and public restrooms. Maybe some of that can be placed on the east side of Moll Dr.? There are a lot of considerations.....

All of your concerns have been addressed and discussed. Since there are several groups that will share this space, maxing it out correctly is obviously going to have to happen. When we looked at the property Monday, we discussed parking, restrooms (even family restrooms), the buffer space of tree line, where and how diferent components could go, etc. From what I understand, the actual measuring and drawing will be done by people who know how to do that.

Keep watching this thread for the next meeting info and please come and see what has been accomplished and make your suggestions about what you would like to see. The biggest consideration of all is that SoWal does not have a decent public place to play or gather, and this group is making that happen.

DuneDog

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
The biggest consideration of all is that SoWal does not have a decent public place to play or gather, and this group is making that happen.

Agreed. I would like to see it better than decent.

I will try to make the next meeting. June 7th?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Agreed. I would like to see it better than decent.

I will try to make the next meeting. June 7th?

I think the June 7th meeting will be with Cindy Meadows and a few people to firm up some plans. SGB could explain more I am sure. Once there have a better plan of the lot (with trees ditches, etc drawn in), then I think we will be meeting again in a larger group. Watch this space for a date and time.

SRBMama

Beach Comber
Apr 22, 2007
Hi All,
I have been wanting to submit some photos of the playpark that we go to when I am visiting Trussville, AL for consideration and ideas or have we passed that process already?

Who should I send the photos to, Cindy Meadows?

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
I think the June 7th meeting will be with Cindy Meadows and a few people to firm up some plans. SGB could explain more I am sure. Once there have a better plan of the lot (with trees ditches, etc drawn in), then I think we will be meeting again in a larger group. Watch this space for a date and time.

It's so grayt to see so many people interested in the playpark! We have to tell you that Cindy Meadows and the Parks and Recreation people have been wonderful so far and very receptive to our input. They have included parking, rest rooms and even a community center type of building.

As jdarg mentioned, the June 7th meeting is with a few representatives (Supermom, Beachmom, myself, and an architect mom) and Cindy and Parks and Rec. Parks and Recs has been working on a layout that they will show us at the June 7th meeting. We will try and get a copy of this layout to share with everyone else at another meeting that we will set up via sowal.com. The drawing that they show us is not final by any means, so we have a chance to make changes.

In addition to the playground, we are trying to impress upon Parks and Recs the need for a swimming pool in our area. Our wish is a pool that is competition sized so that we can have lots of swim lessons and swim teams. It is yet to be determined if the county has the space and/or the money for the pool, especially a competition sized pool. My personal feeling is that we need to hold out for the competition sized pool so that it will fulfill all the needs of the area. A much smaller pool would really limit its use. After checking out the big pool over at Frank Brown park, I would love to have one like that. (Although I think we won't be able to get the kids' pool that Frank Brown has.) Anyone have any opinions about getting a pool in the area (many of you suggested the pool in another thread or in this one) and the required size?

If anyone has photos of parks that they love, probably the best way to get them to us is to put them in the photo gallery on this site so that we can all see them.

Thanks everyone!

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
I am sorry I missed the meeting on the 21st. I want to get involved again, I guess I dropped the ball. I would like to see a pool here. It really can be hard to find swim lessons without going out of the county or going to a private pool....