• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Smilin' Joe, you're the peach who told me about Hunt's. Happens that it is on the far end of the road my cousin's house is on. We meet there for sippin' and dippin' and great oysters. I like the jalapeno oysters best, although it's hard to beat the unadorned bi-valve. Love the comment about that salad bar, too!

I will tell you that I am really enjoying Captain Anderson in Panty Maw City, too. The grouper filets are delish. And I had the best piece of broiled flounder (without the crabmeat stuffing) of my life when there the last time. The waitresses call you "honey" and are real pros, too. Capt. Anderson's also offers some very good wines and they know how to make the best martini.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yes, Capt Anderson's rocks! I think they probably serve some of the tastiest fish in town. A grilled fillet of fresh fish is hard to beat, and if properly cooked, doesn't need all of the fancy sauces.

On Monday, when I was in Hunt's, a kid was standing behind the oyster bar chatting up a shucker. My tea needed refilling and I asked the kid if he was working, thinking that he might refill my drink. (The shuckers were busy trying to keep oysters on my tray.) The shucker in front of me replied, "No, he ain't working yet, but he's probably one of the best shuckers in here besides me, and he's only twelve." A few minutes go by and that shucker tells the kid to take over while he goes out back. The young boy began shucking and suddenly, my tray starting growing with shucked oysters. He was shucking faster and cleaner than the guy working. I watched that kid flipping the top shell with his knife, into the trash can in the corner. He never missed. I was impressed.

Later, I find out that the kid works on a fishing boat from about 6am -1pm, then comes and hangs out at Hunt's. That boy has to be a Hunt.

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Thanks for this post! The thing I miss most on my recent SoWal visits is finding boiled, grilled, or peel-and-eat shrimp. The one place I found them had drowned them in butter and served it with a bunch of overly-rich side dishes. Also, way too expensive for lunch.

Doug and Kathy at D&K used to do this so well...a basket of peel-and-eat shrimp with a hunk of garlic bread. Yumm! Katz, if you're listening, many of us would love to see the peel-and-eat go back onto the menu at the new D&K Cafe. What if you had a half-lb. of shrimp (to make it worth your while) that could be served as an appetizer or entree, then serve them along with a little trio of Doug's delicious Creole sauces? Please???????

Also, can anyone tell me where the best oysters on the half-shell are now? I go to Goatfeathers sometimes, but so-so. Hunt's in Panty Maw City is awesome, but a long drive and I can't have that second beer unless I crash on my cousin's sofa instead of driving home.

Can you tell that I'm having a culinary 911 here in Lotus Land? :rofl:

:wave: Hey Donna,

I just saw this thread and thought I'd jump in and say we have Grilled Grouper or Blackened Tuna served with a skewer of grilled shrimp with a light Key Lime Beurre Blanc, saffron rice, and fresh sauteed vegetables. It's a big favorite!

I will tell Doug about the peel-and-eat shrimp. Does feel strange after all these years (as far back as 1987 in Grayton) not have them on the menu. I'll work on this!;-)

We do have the Sun-Kissed Martini Trio which is lump crab served in a martini glass with beautiful peeled shrimp around the edge (like a shrimp cocktail) and fried crab claws standing end up surrounding the inside of the glass. This is not only grayt tasting, but grayt looking!!!! Served with cocktail and remoulade sauce.:drool:

How much longer till we see you Donna?:love: :love: Kat :party:

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Yes, Capt Anderson's rocks! I think they probably serve some of the tastiest fish in town. A grilled fillet of fresh fish is hard to beat, and if properly cooked, doesn't need all of the fancy sauces.

On Monday, when I was in Hunt's, a kid was standing behind the oyster bar chatting up a shucker. My tea needed refilling and I asked the kid if he was working, thinking that he might refill my drink. (The shuckers were busy trying to keep oysters on my tray.) The shucker in front of me replied, "No, he ain't working yet, but he's probably one of the best shuckers in here besides me, and he's only twelve." A few minutes go by and that shucker tells the kid to take over while he goes out back. The young boy began shucking and suddenly, my tray starting growing with shucked oysters. He was shucking faster and cleaner than the guy working. I watched that kid flipping the top shell with his knife, into the trash can in the corner. He never missed. I was impressed.

Later, I find out that the kid works on a fishing boat from about 6am -1pm, then comes and hangs out at Hunt's. That boy has to be a Hunt.

I love these real life stories you always share SJ:clap: