• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Last Sunday, we went out for a 3 hour sail on the Nathaniel Bowditch, a 54 foot schooner that sails out of Destin Harbor. The boat is fantastic, and so is her Captain, Rex, and his great wife Kristy (not sure of her spelling!).

It was a beautiful day, and the water was so clear and beautiful that we saw the dolphins' bodies underneath the water, not just coming up for air!
We cruised out from the coast a bit, then took a look at Crab Island :)eek: ), then went around Destin Harbor. Will enjoyed helping with the sails and navigating, and Captain Rex was very willing to share info!

They have also purchased a big catamaran and are it will be ready soon- it looks like a blast.

Here is the link and a few pics, whcih of course do not do it justice. Apparently they book quickly in season, so you will need to call ahead of your vacation.

http://www.bowditchsailing.com/lowband/index.html

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
Looks funn!! Maybe in August!:D

That would be a grayt way to spend the day. I have thought about trying the one at Seaside...not nearly as big though.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
This looks awesome! Is this the historic schooner that a couple of guys were trying to rehab and were having problems getting liability insurance to operate as a charter? New or historic, it is a peach and I am making my inquiries and reservations ASAP for October. Thanks for posting this.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
This looks awesome! Is this the historic schooner that a couple of guys were trying to rehab and were having problems getting liability insurance to operate as a charter? New or historic, it is a peach and I am making my inquiries and reservations ASAP for October. Thanks for posting this.

It's not historic - or if it is, the rehab is amazing! Holds 22. Wish I was sailing right now!

Stay tuned for info on the catamaran- they are working on a website for it. The Bowditch is docked directly behind Lucky Snapper, and the cat is down the dock a bit (going towards the bridge)- you can't miss it.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
jdarg...did anyone :puke: ? I am so unstable already, that sailing makes me seasick!