• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
This year's FCAT (statewide standardized test) results are available for your browsing pleasure at:

http://fcat.fldoe.org/mediapacket/2007/

Walton County schools have improved a lot in the past five to ten years, but I'd still probably be looking in Destin. Consistently high test scores, Okaloosa is considered to be a high-performing school district by the state while Walton is not, and the administration has tended to be more professional and less good-old-boy, it seems.

If you do decide on Walton County, I'd definitely either stay south of Choctawhatchee Bay, or try to get waivered into SoWal schools, which seem to be a decided improvement over Freeport and points further north.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:clap: I also live in Dallas and would love to live in sowal. This is probably not the right thread, but what about the schools there? My kids are young and we are use to great schools and teachers in the area we live. How does the public school system rank in that area? Both Elementary and high school? Can anyone share your experiences on this subject?

:wave: ...oh my goodness, it is a mass exodus!!!

Jan Aldridge

Beach Comber
Jan 21, 2007
I would also recommend Linda Miller with H20 850-974-8885. She is very personable and has helped me with several transactions over the past 10 years as a buyer and a seller. She lives on 30A and very familiar with the whole area. She knew this area so well many years ago! I trust her judgment and she will steer you in the right direction for your desires. She also has become one of the top agents in the area and has received top agent awards two of the last three years. I don?t think anyone would be disappointed with her and her team of associates.:D

PTWizard

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2005
Columbus, OH
I'll add my endorsement of Linda Miller and especially her associate, Christina McAllister. They have assisted me in several transactions on 30-A and have always handled things in a very friendly and professional manner. They are extremely knowledgable regarding most any property along 30-A and at this point I consider them to be good friends as well.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
:wave: ...oh my goodness, it is a mass exodus!!!

Man!! No kiddin!
Sunkist and I were looking online last night at a community on Mustang Island (Tx) and all the house plans were named....."watercolor", "watersound", "San Destin", etc. Only problem was....the sand in their pics was brown.:eek: Hence the name...Cinnamon Shore. :D

janalea

Beach Comber
Mar 22, 2007
I am so glad that people are listing realtors that they know and trust. My husband and I were just in Seagrove yesterday looking at all kinds of real estate. We came home with lots of papers and phone numbers, so we were considering a realtor, but didn't know who to contact. We want someone wonderful like you all have mentioned, so we'll probably be calling them within the next few weeks.

We'd be moving from Nashville with two small children, so the school discussion is a great help too! Any more input on either subject would be great!

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
I'd highly recommend a Sowaller (Supermom26.2) a.k.a. Rhonda Cloutier. She is a great realtor--very professional and personable AND she can sell houses in a slow market. She is also a mom of school aged children and is on the board of directors at Seaside Neighborhood School, so she can tell you all you need to know about our schools. Send Supermom a PM!

We've been very happy with our schools--dedicated teachers, safe, excellent academics and they are getting better and better. The quality of the schools reflect the quality of the involved, highly educated parents.

janalea

Beach Comber
Mar 22, 2007
Thanks for writing all that, CCK. I'll probably be in touch with Rhonda as we are seriously considering a move. It's just such a big step for us, and we have 3 properties to sell before moving....2 houses and a business, but two of them are already on the market, so we're getting there! Thanks for the info.

jana:D

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I am so glad that people are listing realtors that they know and trust. My husband and I were just in Seagrove yesterday looking at all kinds of real estate. We came home with lots of papers and phone numbers, so we were considering a realtor, but didn't know who to contact. We want someone wonderful like you all have mentioned, so we'll probably be calling them within the next few weeks.

We'd be moving from Nashville with two small children, so the school discussion is a great help too! Any more input on either subject would be great!

Here is your school discussion for the SoWal area:

Elementary- Bay, Butler, South Walton Montessori
Middle- Emerald Coast Middle or Seaside (get in by lottery)
High- SoWal High

Voila! Easy! Thanks God the schools are decent!

It's not like moving to bigger places where you actually would make a house decision based on the school. It's easy here because there really isn't a choice (unless you go out of county or north of the bay).

So back to house hunting!

Last edited: